SACDs
Feb 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Interesting thought. Do you really need a receiver that has multichannel inputs? My SACD player has RCA inputs on the back where I assume you could just plug in 5.1 speakers

Those RCA jacks are line level outputs. You need an amp that takes line level multichannel. The only ones that do cost a fortune. Most amps take optical or coax multichannel, which is incompatible with SACD.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:
From my experience, it is pretty easy to tell the difference between SACD and CD layer using my GS-1000 or GMP450 (Sony XA5400ES or Sony C222ES or even Sony SCE595 -> Grace M902 served as amp only).

Nope. The difference you are hearing is the audio level. The redbook layer is always slightly quieter than the SACD layer. You just don't notice it because it takes so ungodly long to switch between layers if you are only using one machine.

The only way to compare is with two disks and two players that are level matched and run into a switcher.

The mastering on SACDs isn't better, it's just different. The reason they sound better is because they are louder. Turn up the volume on a CD and get the same effect. I really think that the whole format is designed around making it difficult to do a fair comparison. sACDs are a total boondoggle... An excuse to get you to buy Dark Side of the Moon for the umpteenth time.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 48

Quote:
Quote:

Those RCA jacks are line level outputs. You need an amp that takes line level multichannel. The only ones that do cost a fortune. Most amps take optical or coax multichannel, which is incompatible with SACD.

Hmm....that could be a serious problem. Here's the RCA jacks I was speaking of 

So if I were to plug in 5.1 speakers into those jacks, they wouldn't work?

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #34 of 48
Well, I did take care of the audio level while I am comparing.
To me the difference is pretty clear for DSD all the way productions.
Even after 30+ DSD all-the-way discs, I cannot find a counter example.

I do respect your tests, however my experience is just quiet different.

Quote:
Quote:

Nope. The difference you are hearing is the audio level. The redbook layer is always slightly quieter than the SACD layer. You just don't notice it because it takes so ungodly long to switch between layers if you are only using one machine.

The only way to compare is with two disks and two players that are level matched and run into a switcher.

The mastering on SACDs isn't better, it's just different. The reason they sound better is because they are louder. Turn up the volume on a CD and get the same effect. I really think that the whole format is designed around making it difficult to do a fair comparison. sACDs are a total boondoggle... An excuse to get you to buy Dark Side of the Moon for the umpteenth time.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #35 of 48
You need a receiver which can take 5.1 analog input via RCA.
Recently, this function was left out from lots of mid or low-level receivers.
You may need to find some older model around 2000 for cheap options.

Quote:

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #36 of 48
There is no way to compensate for level differences and the time delay in switching without two players and two copies of the disk.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #37 of 48

Quote:
You need a receiver which can take 5.1 analog input via RCA.
Recently, this function was left out from lots of mid or low-level receivers.
You may need to find some older model around 2000 for cheap options.

Would this do the trick?

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #38 of 48
I don't think so, all its analog inputs are 2 channels.
Using Sony's lineup as examples, you have to go above STRDG920 to get 5.1 analog input.
If you want to spend those kind of money, it is actually better to get HDMI capable SACD player and receiver (almost the top of Sony product line) to enjoy DSD via HDMI.

For lower budget, what you can get are used receivers.
I have a used STRDE345 for my 3 channel setup (the model is 5.1 capable, I just do not have 5.1 speakers yet).

Quote:
Would this do the trick?

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #39 of 48
So this.

You would plug in the analog RCA cables from the SACD player to the inputs on the far left...then speakers are attached on the far right? All the speakers would have the weird cables that you strip yourself except for the sub, right?(As you can tell I'm not very savvy when it comes to speakers)

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #40 of 48
Bump, there's one on craigslist so I'd like to know if it would work before it's gone.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #42 of 48

Quote:

I've already been doing that to listen to normal CDs...I'm more curious if that specific receiver will allow me to use RCA cables between the SACD player (in quote). ([size=small]Sony STR DE345)[/size]

EDITE: In order to play SACD through multichannel 5.1

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #43 of 48

Quote:
I've already been doing that to listen to normal CDs...I'm more curious if that specific receiver will allow me to use RCA cables between the SACD player (in quote). ([size=small]Sony STR DE345)[/size]

EDITE: In order to play SACD through multichannel 5.1

Oops! My apologies.

Fronts are fronts on both and rear should connect to surround. The sub should connect to sub. Its pretty straightforward.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #44 of 48
This would work.
You will need six RCA interconnects (like two you already used for CDs now) to connect front, center, rear, and sub.
So now your receiver will take the multi-channel signal from your player when the player is set to play multichannel.
Then you need speaker cables to connect front, center, and rear.
For the sub, you will need an extra RCA interconnect in this case.

Quote:
So this.

You would plug in the analog RCA cables from the SACD player to the inputs on the far left...then speakers are attached on the far right? All the speakers would have the weird cables that you strip yourself except for the sub, right?(As you can tell I'm not very savvy when it comes to speakers)

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #45 of 48
That amp does appear to support analogue 5:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back