SACDs far superior to regular (Redbook) CDs
Jun 1, 2004 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
I compared Redbook CD to SACD recordings of Mozart's Symphonies 38 and 40, using K1000, HD650, and RS-1 headphones. I was mainly interested in determining how much better SACD is than Redbook for reproducing complex orchestral classical music. Well, the difference is tremendous. In comparison to the sound of the SACDs, the sound of the Redbook recordings of these symphonies is like comparing very inexpensive small speaker systems to very expensive high quality ones. The difference in sound between these SACD and Redbook recordings is far greater than the relatively subtle differences between expensive sources, amps., and headphones that we normally discuss in our Head-Fi threads. As a consequence of these tests, I am now reconsidering my plans for my music collection. In the future, and whenever possible, I'll buy SACDs rather than Redbook CDs. I'll also try to replace the Redbook CDs that I already own.

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 29
You are a wise man, sir!

I have found that the Super Audio CD sound is far superior over Red Book CDs in terms the former format making the sound much more natural, relaxing, and less taxing on the mind. It makes very dramatic improvements in those subtle ways in terms of the sound: there is greater warmth, liquidity, far less digital harshness, and a much more convincingly natural realism to the music. It certainly has its own merits as a hi-rez format unto itself.

DVD-Audio is no slouch either. It sounds much more detailed, three dimensional, and holographic. The multimedia content should pass over with audiophiles but I contend that it gives the average Joe or Jane a sense that they are getting more for their entertainment dollars. The format is better poised for those who already own a High Definition based home theater system. Still, it needs to find an acceptable means by which to incorporate the omnipresent Red Book CD format onto the same disc. I am unsure how that will go.

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 29
OT - When did you get a HD-600 mikeg ??
confused.gif
is it a new purchase you made to compare with your HD-650??

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

In the future, and whenever possible, I'll buy SACDs rather than Redbook CDs. I'll also try to replace the Redbook CDs that I already own.

Well, I recently bought my first SACD disc. The sound is more real, more alive, more detailed, fat and warm. Sounds better I guess. But maybe vinyl sounds a tad bit better? Still not sure. (I am always comparing with my own equipment which has analog and digital sources of the same value.)

Now regarding the quote above. If I could get similar sound performance that I get with a round 500 SACDP (in terms of full sound , realism etc) with a 3000 CPD I would rather NOT buy NOR replace the redbooks I own but I would be VERY VERY happy to buy CDs which get cheaper and cheaper and would save up to get this good CPD one day (maybe used for $1200!!).

So is this possible guys?

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
Well, I recently bought my first SACD disc. The sound is more real, more alive, more detailed, fat and warm. Sounds better I guess. But maybe vinyl sounds a tad bit better? Still not sure. (I am always comparing with my own equipment which has analog and digital sources of the same value.)

Now regarding the quote above. If I could get similar sound performance that I get with a round 500 SACDP (in terms of full sound , realism etc) with a 3000 CPD I would rather NOT buy NOR replace the redbooks I own but I would be VERY VERY happy to buy CDs which get cheaper and cheaper and would save up to get this good CPD one day (maybe used for $1200!!).

So is this possible guys?

A lot of folks would say yes it is.
Just read some of the impressions of the latest Wadia players.
Converting your current library over to SACD would be easy if everything you own is on the Sony list.
wink.gif

Example: Every Sony SACD players' redbook performace (out of the box) sucks IMO.
(this is why mod companies are very busy)
It would not surprise me if Sony did this on purpose so that the differences between the formats
would appear that much greater and thus help Sony's efforts to get everyone to convert over to SACD.
(they would make much more money off the software than the hardware)

Machiavellian?
perhaps.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

It would not surprise me if Sony did this on purpose so that the differences between the formats would appear that much greater and thus help Sony's efforts to get everyone to convert over to SACD.

I don't doubt that, either. But from a slightly different perspective, those low-cost Sony players are really DVD (video) & SACD players first. Redbook can be looked at as a side-bennie. Modding does do nice things to the redbook side too, as you mentioned.

For someone with a sizable investment in redbook software, and few parallels in the SACD domain, a primo redbook player may be the way to go. Keeping or purchasing cheap Sony (or Pioneer, Toshiba, or whatever) SACD player, as a second source (requiring some kind of switch device/preamp, & additional IC's), is a good way to maintain accessibility to that format too.I contemplated going that way for a bit, but convenience, space, money, and my minimalist nature, pointed me toward a one-box universal player solution.

As far as investing in the software, I will not buy a single-layer SACD disc, unless I already have the redbook, and it's a real fav. If there is a hybrid SACD version for nearly the same $$, I will go for that over just a redbook version. Thank goodness for Sony's recent decision to make hybrids from now on.

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

It would not surprise me if Sony did this on purpose so that the differences between the formats

rolleyes.gif
You guys are ridiculous!
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
rolleyes.gif
You guys are ridiculous!
tongue.gif

Of course we are.
All of us spend way too much time on a headphone forum.
wink.gif

and you have a modded Sony.
tongue.gif

Mark, you would be a good one to ask this question.
If you could (assuming all of your titles were available on SACD),
would you switch to SACD?

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I compared Redbook CD to SACD recordings of Mozart's Symphonies 38 and 40, using K1000, HD600, and RS-1 headphones. I was mainly interested in determining how much better SACD is than Redbook for reproducing complex orchestral classical music. Well, the difference is tremendous. In comparison to the sound of the SACDs, the sound of the Redbook recordings of these symphonies is like comparing very inexpensive small speaker systems to very expensive high quality ones. The difference in sound between these SACD and Redbook recordings is far greater than the relatively subtle differences between expensive sources, amps., and headphones that we normally discuss in our Head-Fi threads. As a consequence of these tests, I am now reconsidering my plans for my music collection. In the future, and whenever possible, I'll buy SACDs rather than Redbook CDs. I'll also try to replace the Redbook CDs that I already own.

You know, I felt the same way till recently. Unfortunately the software available on SACD is EXTREMELY limited. Until they get more media on the SACD format, a move to SACD makes no sense. Hence, my trudge back to vinyl where most of the music I like to listen to is available.

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Mark, you would be a good one to ask this question.
If you could (assuming all of your titles were available on SACD),
would you switch to SACD?

Well, I have switched to SACD, my player is a SACD changer. I have around 60-70 SACDs. I have around 2500 CDs. I could never afford to replace all my CDs with SACDs. But as big releases, important albums to me become available in hi-rez, I am very inclined to buy that album yet again.

I will say this, that my experience has been that a well-mastered Redbook CD version still trumps a badly mastered SACD version of the same material. The extra resolution can be cancelled out by clumsy, careless, or plain crappy masterig, you are still at the mercy of the mastering engineer in SACD as you are with remastered CDs. However, a well-mastered SACD will definitely sound better than a well-mastered CD.

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 29
I will say this, that my experience has been that a well-mastered Redbook CD version still trumps a badly mastered SACD version of the same material. The extra resolution can be cancelled out by clumsy, careless, or plain crappy masterig, you are still at the mercy of the mastering engineer in SACD as you are with remastered CDs. However, a well-mastered SACD will definitely sound better than a well-mastered CD.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Great point markl.

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 29
I'll say this. I have noticed a similar trait between most SACDs that I can't say I've noticed with redbook yet. In my experience, it seems like SACDs have a slightly wider, more expansive soundstage than redbook cds. I've been buying hybrid SACD/CDs so that I can due quick A/B comparisons. I don't think the SACDs offer that much more in detail it's just that the information seems a little more fleshed out. It takes a lot less effort to hear all those subtle notes that sometimes get lost on standard redbook.

just my opinion.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back