SACD
Oct 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #31 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my eyes, CDA and SACD are not in competition against each other, but rather complement each others. You can not live with SACD only, but it would be a mistake to me to ignore SACD offer.

co-sign
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #32 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my listening session with the Decco does suggest that the added dynamic range of the SACD layer is audible, so long as the DAC is up to the task.

The thing is, the added dynamics are in the low volume areas, not the high volume areas. To be able to hear the difference in dynamic range between CD and SACD, you would have to raise the lowest level sound above the noise floor in your listening room- that means that you would have to have the volume turned up to unlistenably loud levels. The dynamic range of most recorded music doesn't come close to utilizing redbook's capabilities, much less SACD's. It's pretty safe to say that you aren't hearing the difference in dynamic range. It has to be something else.

Logic has several different dithering schemes. Check to see if you are using the right one.

See ya
Steve

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #33 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]???[/size]
How are your DAC's receiving & processing the DSD digital signal?

The PS3 converts the DSD data to PCM before sending it to the DAC. I know it enters the DAC at 44.1 kHz. What I can’t say for certain is whether or not it sends the DAC 16 or 24 bit data. What I need to do is record the SACD layer through the toslink output of the PS3. If it sounds the same recorded at 16 bits as it does at 24, then the difference I hear between the CD and SACD layers must be due to different mixes on the different layers. On the other hand, if the 16 and 24 bit recordings sound different, then I might be on to something.

Also, when you put an SACD into a PS3, up to three different options are available to select. There’s the SACD 5 channel, SACD 2 channel, and the CD layer. That’s how I’ve been able to compare the different layers thus far.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #35 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK you cant output the SACD layer over Toslink on any device except one of those super expensive sony players, which in turn only works in tandem with their own high end receiver.

You can with the PS3. But it converts the data to PCM at 44.1 kHz.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #36 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can with the PS3. But it converts the data to PCM at 44.1 kHz.

I'm afraid I don't see the validity of comparing down-converted DSD (to PCM).

You are not outputing anything close to the original DSD signal. Your DAC is not seeing anything close to the original DSD signal.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #37 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid I don't see the validity of comparing down-converted DSD (to PCM).

You are not outputing anything close to the original DSD signal. Your DAC is not seeing anything close to the original DSD signal.

You're right. Because of that, I expected the SACD layer to sound the same or slightly worse than the CD layer. That conversion can't be good for the signal quality. But for some reason, the SACD layer sounds better. I want to figure out why.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 128
If it is an analogue legacy recording, odds are it's a slightly different mastering. What SACD are you using?

See ya
Steve

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #39 of 128
I upsample redbook CD to DSD using the dCS Purcell and the results are fantastic.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #40 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I suddenly got thinking about SACD was because of the Quad CDP-2 which plays them while the Cambridge Audio 840c doesn't.

I would be using it mostly as a DAC for my two 300 disc players and with the Quad I could buy some SACD discs and not feel like I'd wasted money having a great CD player sat there doing nothing.

You can hear the benefits of SACD through headphones can't you, someone above says not.

I can, on my Marantz SA8001.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #42 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upsample redbook CD to DSD using the dCS Purcell and the results are fantastic.

I just do not understand this.

Would you mind bringing this to the Science Forum.

I have trouble understanding how it works. As I understand it if you have a 44.1Khz signal you cannot gain any more information by changing the sampling rate post-hoc, well you can but it is technically interpolated noise (aka distortion) as you are adding samples that were not there in the original signal
confused.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #43 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just do not understand this.

Would you mind bringing this to the Science Forum.

I have trouble understanding how it works. As I understand it if you have a 44.1Khz signal you cannot gain any more information by changing the sampling rate post-hoc, well you can but it is technically interpolated noise (aka distortion) as you are adding samples that were not there in the original signal
confused.gif

Stereophile: dCS Purcell D/D converter

Nice piece of kit, the Cambridge Audio 840c does something similar, it goes to 384kHz.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #44 of 128
I can't explain it at all, but it works. You have to hear it for yourself.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #45 of 128
SACD is far superior..

One main reason is how it is mastered. It mastered from the original master session using DSD. The resolution and dynamic range is so much better as well.

I can really write for hours on this, however listening is everything!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back