SACD - what are the benfits?
Jan 13, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The differences between speakers are great. The differences between headphones are also significant. The differences between CD players is tiny in comparison.

However, I don't doubt that there are high end players that have been deliberately tweaked to give a different response and a different sound.

After all you're not saying «...to color the sound in a pleasing way». Anyway, there's the implication that high-end players are tweaked to sound different than «normal players». Now, IME low(er)-priced players don't sound more uniform than high(er)-priced players: the differences within the categories are about equal. It's just that high-end players usually use better components, especially more linear (thus more expensive) converters, more sophisticated digital-filter algorithms (to take care of the CD format's weakest link: the antialiasing filter) and better analog sections. Which pays off in a more refined and often less «digital» sound.

BTW, cheap or expensive: the frequency response is more or less a straight line with digital players, except for a few exotic designs with «time-optimized» or without any high-pass filter (the resulting treble roll-off is the price to pay, not the original goal).

Sure, the differences among speakers and headphones are huge in comparison... But audio goumets also appreciate fine nuances, not just the obvious. Electronics' characteristics shine through sound-transducer characteristics if the latter are of high quality in terms of resolution, which doesn't exclude synergies, but you can't compensate for a mediocre source signal on sound-transducer level.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #62 of 71
Whenever possible, components should be flat. If each one is tweaked to sound "good" the combination of different kinds of tweaks results in chaos. The listener has tone controls or an equalizer to make those sorts of choices.

I've had over a dozen different CD players... computers, portable, home components, etc... and I never found one that had a different sound than the others with the same CD. I don't doubt that there might be a manufacturer who does add coloration though. I've seen enough stereo salesmen surreptitiously boost the bass and treble when demoing a high commission item to know that the technique works with most people.

See ya
Steve

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have a link to your ears reviews?

Here is one on the Classical CD Review website...

http://classicalcdreview.com/llwalk.htm

See ya
Steve

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I don't doubt that there might be a manufacturer who does add coloration though.

The question is: how? I've not seen other than flat frequency responses from CD and SACD players, save for the mentioned (known) exceptions -- time-optimized filters for redbook CD -- which aren't thought as euphonization, but rather a different approach to accuracy. I don't think a manufacturer could risk the implementation of intentionally distorted frequency responses, the less so in the high-end segment.

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is: how? I've not seen other than flat frequency responses from CD and SACD players, save for the mentioned (known) exceptions -- time-optimized filters for redbook CD -- which aren't thought as euphonization, but rather a different approach to accuracy.

I've seen just one (nitpicking here, of course): a year or two ago the Finnish "Hifi" -magazine measured the frequency response of a cdp by a certain well-known Italian manufacturer. At 20 khz the response was down by 7 db. The player consisted of a CD-ROM drive by Samsung AND the dac of the same drive! Hopefully just an exception to the rule!

Later another example of the same model was re-measured with somewhat better results.

Regards,

L.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #67 of 71
Question. If I were to buy an Esoteric SA-60, would I still want to run through an external DAC to play Redbood CDs, or at some level, will the DAC on a high end multi format player be excellent (say as good as a Benchmark DAC1 or a BelCanto DAC-3)?

How would the SA-60 stack up against a Meridian G08 for redbook?

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey thats cool any from the mainstream press? What is it you actually do it was unclear from the site the review links to

My CDs are only available on the internet, so all of the reviews have been online. The secret to what I do is 80% equalization to a natural frequency response curve, 19% impulse noise reduction, and 1% broadband noise reduction. There's great sound in old records. All you need to do is strike the right balance. That takes a good ear for balances.

See ya
Steve

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #69 of 71
There are a total of 2 SACD's ever made that I like, but they sound so good they justify my $100 SACD player. Point is unless there are a lot of SACD's out there you would listen to keep the investment small.

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #70 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a total of 2 SACD's ever made that I like, but they sound so good they justify my $100 SACD player. Point is unless there are a lot of SACD's out there you would listen to keep the investment small.

and what might they be?

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #71 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Someone needs to start getting into classical music
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
Seriously, I've got a few rock SACDs that aren't terribly better then their CD counterparts. Classical on the otherhand, I've been collecting quite a few that are real keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back