SACD vs Vinyl
Jun 14, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD's actually have a better signal to noise ratio in the top octave, and better dynamic range in the upper octave than SACD's do...

Yes, but SACD's extend far above redbook. DSD is also far more accurate where it counts, in the meaty midranges.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 33
You have to spend a TON of money to make vinyl sound good. My rig is worth about $5k or so, and it is not worthy, although I enjoy it. My Samsung SACD player sounds fantastic and I paid under $100. You do the math.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to spend a TON of money to make vinyl sound good. My rig is worth about $5k or so, and it is not worthy, although I enjoy it. My Samsung SACD player sounds fantastic and I paid under $100. You do the math.

Also a few more add ons (I do not think that evne spending tons of money you will make it sound as clean at least):

-LPs deteriorate overtime.
-The new recordings, are better but are as expensive or more than the digital counterparts, that will last a lot more if not more than you and me.
-Crostalk is huge.
-Signal to noise ratio, a joke.
-Surface noise, that is inherent to he media, cilcks, pops, all this clearly audible (not as the anomalies of the digital media that most of the time we talk about them becasue we have read about them in books and magazines, but without even knowing what the hell are we talking about, is anybody able to hear jitter errors, or that crispness??? I do not honestly, and I'm not afraind to stand to what I'm stating here...
-Aslo LPs are a lot more uncomfortable to manipulate, and to preserve, you need a machine to clean the records...
-Take 4 times the real state...
-You can not even walk around the TT or they will skip, unless the floor is really firm not the case in the majority of our modern houses
-And the worst, you have to stand every 42-45 minutes to flip the LP....

If want more??? To me is enough to stay away of it for the rest of my life...

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 33
And headphones and vinyl don't mix well, IMO. They really bring out the surface noise.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason why vinyl has remained so popular is that no matter how inaccurate, it always provides a super-smooth transition between frequency transients. Nothing sounds harsh. All smooth.
icon10.gif

I'm trying my third vinyl playar today and boy does it sound harsh, the only vinyl I have heard that sound smooth was a old sony I had, but unfortunately I destroyed it. The jvc I have now has a new Audiotecnica picup, it doesn't help, and my BO is crap. Man why is it so hard to fina a reasonably good cheap turntable, I give this up.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying my third vinyl playar today and boy does it sound harsh, the only vinyl I have heard that sound smooth was a old sony I had, but unfortunately I destroyed it. The jvc I have now has a new Audiotecnica picup, it doesn't help, and my BO is crap. Man why is it so hard to fina a reasonably good cheap turntable, I give this up.

Try the Denon DP-30L if possible

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #23 of 33
Vinyl owns all formats. End discussion.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Everything we said went over your head fam. Re-read it if you want to learn a crumb about SACD, Cd, Vinyl LP's. Sorry to hear you bought some bogus decks. Don't make the intelligent Swedes hold their heads.
tongue.gif
Peace.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #26 of 33
I think there are pro's and con's to each format.

For vinyl, the quality of sound is directly proportionate to the amount of money you invest. Sadly, a $200 turntable will sound nothing like a $5K turntable. Everything has an impact on the quality of sound. Even the electricity that drives it all.

Tubes? Solidstate? Elevating the Cables off the floor? Throw around some chicken bones and light some candles. And I absolutely hate listening to vinyl through headphones. To me, the sounds that make vinyl vinyl-sounding overpower the depth and tonality of the music. It distracts me from listening to the way Janis Joplin is trying to make me feel.

Slip the needle into the groove like you're removing your lover's underwear. Slowly caress up the volume. Lean back and enjoy those mammoth speakers and everything comes together. The clicks and the pops and the LP sounds the way its supposed to. Its muddy and warm to me. Holding me. Envelopping me.

For Digital, the quality varies just as much, but its a whole different ballgame. Listen to a CD on an old Play station? Get the right model for $20 and you've got the quality of a $5k player. But to me, it still sounds like Digital, not that its bad, but its different. The sound to noise is better, the range is cleaner.

I prefer digital in my phones, to the point that i'll buy a remastered CD of an LP for my ipod. Digital to me, is personal. A whisper that's meant for my ears and not meant to share with everyone else.

Super Audio Compact Discs? A distinct improvement to the CD, IMO. Too bad more 'musical artists' (Brittney Spears need not apply) aren't releasing more on this format. Sure, classical and jazz titles are great. Diana Krull never sounded better, IMO. It sounds different than a CD, which sounds totally different than a turntable.

I guess i'm lumped into the group who has two totally different systems. I've got analog, a RCA broadcast turntable from the golden age of radio (even some original 78s of the nat King Cole trio) and i've got a Oppo that plays any disc I set into the tray. I've been thinking about picking up a playstation...

Honestly though, if i'm listening through speakers nothing beats a moderately sophisticated Turntable, amp and speaker setup. Nothing except, more expensive gear.

Its a shame, though. After playing music thats been recorded with century old technology, we're still playing the Dollar game with how good it sounds. It echoes of elitism and exclusivity.

Anyone can hit a pawn shop and buy a used video game system with audio circuits that are equiviliant to those costing thousands of dollars more.

Grammar issues not withstanding, this rambling comes in at almost 3am. Sorry, Ms Elkin. I know better but i'm too tired not to be apathetic about it.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]This should be in source section.[/size]

Not headphone related.

i don't really understand why everyone seems so concerned about thread content. this stuff is all related, it's not as if we're talking sports or the weather. the headphone forum gets far more viewers, and elicts far more discussion than any of the other forums (put together, really), and as this stuff is so related, i don't really see the problem.

honestly, a bit more discussion of what is actually being listened to on the headphones people discuss in this forum would be beneficial for all, in my opinion. things get far too clinical far too quick without any discussion of the actual music being listened to on said headphones, and a lot of the analysis around these parts is really quite sterile when it doesn't take that into consideration...

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #29 of 33
yeah, but as i stated, the other forums put together don't get even as much traffic as this one. since they're as connected as they are (especially headphones - music), i really don't see the need for such militant patroling of content...

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #30 of 33
To ge great sound out of vinyl including a low noise floor, you need to spend thousands of dollars. I recently listened to a Rega Planner 3 and a Michel Gyrodec SE... the Gyrodec destroyed the Rega, even with crappy records in average condition surface noise was not there, no clicks, no pops, no hash, nothing!!! When listening though headphones you could just make it out. However, impressive as the Gyrodec was, I can get excellent sound out of a SACD for much less money. If I could afford it, I'd have both, but since I can't spend spend this kind of money, SACD works better for me espacially through headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back