SACD to MP3 conversion?
Mar 7, 2004 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

daffa

Head-Fier
While listening to my SACD, this idea comes to my mind. Is it possible to convert SACD to MP3 format? So far I think it is impossible but I am still thinking of it. Any opinion?

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd say no, its not possible...

First of all, the biggest downside is that there are no players that can be used inside of your PC...

Although, I guess as long as you had a 24/192 card, and a digital input... there is the possiblity, but then the MP3 format itself would be flawed surely? - the codec having been written to encode at 16/44... so, you'd probably only get CD resolution anyway?!?

Mar 7, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 10
You mean as in "encode from SACD to MP3 directly"?
I don't think so, and it would be quite useless anyway from a quality point of view.
If you are talking convenience, I want my SACDs available as AAC/MP3 for portable use, you have several options:

- encode from the CDDA layer of hybrid-SACDs (defies the purpose a bit, as the material can differ depending on the mastering)
- get a high-quality soundcard and record the analogue signal from your SACD source (AFAIK digital outs are muted with SACD?
confused.gif
) and encode that material to MP3

All in all I see no point in ripping SACD to MP3, as you will not exceed MP3 specs just because you use high-res base material.
Personally, I am quite fine with ripping the CDDA layer up until now. New non-hybrid SACDs seem to be a rare occasion anyway, and hybrids are sometimes the only option if you want the material in CDDA. Thanks to the european industry!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 10
If you were really desparate, use a microphone to record the sound when you play the SACDs on speakers.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 10
lol Oddball...

But a microphone has an inferior response to even redbook format
wink.gif

Sorry... I didn't know that you can't output digitally from SACD (what exactly is the point of a digital output then????)

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
While listening to my SACD, this idea comes to my mind. Is it possible to convert SACD to MP3 format? So far I think it is impossible but I am still thinking of it. Any opinion?

Most SACDs are hybrids with a redbook layer (that is much better than MP3), simply rip and encode from that redbook layer.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Simply use the analog ouput of the SACD player, and convert to digital. You can use your soundcard. I use an ART DI/O outside of the computer for A to D conversion, which I record as wav files. Since the end result is going to be MP3, I wouldn't worry at all about the SACD -> analog conversion. You'll be losing more in the wave -> MP3 conversion anyway.

Mar 7, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Record the analog out as 24/96 and store it on DVD-Video format as DAD (digital audio disc). That is the best you can do.

The quality of the A/D convertor matters so a good one would help. You can do this for vinyl also.

If you want to lossy compress it. You can store 24/96 as AAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back