SACD - State of affairs
Feb 6, 2002 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been upgrading my home theater and am now looking into a new DVD player and have a line on a Sony DVPS9000ES, which as you know, also plays SACD format. I'm now trying to justify the price of this unit.

Having read everything in the archives about SACD, it seems the general concensus is that this format is indeed an improvement over standard CD's but that limited software selection is a drawback. So is the format's uncertain future.

I was wondering how current owners of SACD players, now that they've lived with the product for a while, feel about the format and it's chances of survival.

Is the software list growing?

Have new hardware manufacturers embraced the format?

Would you still purchase an SACD player, knowing what you know now?

Thanks

Feb 6, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 24
mbriant: I understand the hesitation, it's not exactly lively in the SACD new release dept. However, I just found out that Tubular Bells, Human League and Tangerine Dream "Rubicon" are scheduled for Virgin SACD release in Canada on February 19. This release sheet is promoting SACD and indicates over 10,000 SACD players have been sold in Canada and is growing.

Future Shop are carrying some Sony titles for $25.99 retail, not bad considering the $36 list price in Canada. I picked up "Friday Night In San Francisco (Di Meola McLaughlin DeLucia) and Herbie Hancock "Headhunters" last Sunday.

I've only had mine since Christmas and, since I only have 4 discs so far, it represents only a very small percentage of my listening time. But it is the most fun I have with the digital format, when I am listening to that. The sound is a big improvement over CD, but titles are limited. But at least it's a true improvement, not the hyped up bad sound of the first CD's and players that came out in the early 80's.

You may want to wait for a machine that plays both DVD-A and SACD. I'm sure that within a year, they will be quite affordable. Or you can spring for a cheap SACD player (Sony XE-670 $499 list in Canada)

Feb 6, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 24
I believe Pioneer released a player w/ DVD-A and SACD capabilities, the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. Actually, it may not quite be out yet, but w/in the month it should be out, I think. Supposed to be not half bad, from what I hear. There's a decent amount of information over on AVS Forums on it.

Feb 6, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 24
- Tubular Bells is already out in the US.

- I'm not so sure that one has to worry about the future of the format if companies wouldn't be hell-bent on making enough of a profit to wipe out the national debt. If they would just realize -- and market accordingly -- that this is a niche market, slow yet consistent growth, they may not be so quick to be disappointed and give up. I hope they still don't. As long as they feel obliged to convince the entire music-buying market that they have to buy SACD or DVD-A, they are doomed for failure. MHO. I really hope for the future of SACD and DVD-A, and I think the first step is admitting there is a problem with the way they're hyping it. Getting realistic is the first step towards a solution.

Feb 6, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 24
It doesn't make sense why more companies don't release SACD/DVD-A players so they can let the buying public decide which they enjoy more. I hope these new formats do work out, i mean their still very much in their youth, they got a long way to go. I haven't heard either format, i hope i can correct this problem though when the audio show hits NYC in late May though
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 24
Also, forgot to mention, Pioneer now has two DVD-A/SACD players. The higher end one DV-AX10 was reviewed in Stereophile this month, and it didn't fare too well in SACD. John Atkinson hinted that the reviewer -- Jonathan Scull -- might not have level adjusted it, as the SACD output is lower than that of regular CD or DVD. But they did say the DVD-A performance is awesome -- finally some competition for SACD. IMHO, the only problems with this player is the price -- MSRP of US$5500 -- and the fact that SACD is not surround (it originally came out in Japan before this became part of the SACD standard -- they should offer an upgrade). Admittedly, the latter I don't care so much about, because all SACD's will have at least the stereo mix, but it would be nice to hear the quad mix of Tubular Bells, if only once.

There's also a lower end model from a company called AVIX or something...supposed to be crap, but an entry level player nonetheless.

Big criticism of the Pioneer review -- he refused to compare it to the Accuphase DP-100/DC-101 transport/converter combo for SACD or to the Linn CD12 or dCS 972 or Purcell/Elgar Plus upsampling pair for CD, because those other units were significantly more expensive. L, once you get past a certain point (which I think the Pioneer surpassed), AFAIAC, you should compare it with the "absolute" best you have. That's why they're called reference systems.

Feb 6, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 24
I enjoy my 9000ES immensly. I've found that I prefer to listen to SACD's just to hear something closer to the original than most redbook CD's, even if I don't particularly love the music. I don't buy many albums, but I've found 3 so far that I really like, so the lack of releases isn't an issue for me.

The DVD playback looks great on my crappy TV and supposedly is well regarded. The unit is IMHO very attractive and built like a tank.

My only complaint thus far is its inability to play CDR's. Apparently some people have gotten them to work consistently, but so far I haven't. I may post the results of my experiments in the future.

Dusty- are you thinking about the APEX unit? They look cheap, but supposedly are good units - and they are so inexpensive that they seem to gaining alot of marketshare in a notoriously tough industry.

Feb 6, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 24
Apex DVD players? Gasp! Stay away from them. My friend has one, it takes FOREVER to load a disc! I have a Samsung play that plays CDR's much quicker. The Model# is DVD-M301. It's finish is silver. It also plays mp3's. The only thing i don't like about it so far is the remote scheme, the buttons are so damn small. Check it out and see if it's what your looking for.

Feb 6, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 24
I've got an Apex AD-1500 that I use in the office system. $79.95 at Circuit City.

No, it's not my Pioneer. Then again, it's connected COMPSITE video to my Pansonic 27" TV that doesn't have S-Video or component video inputs.

I run digital audio through a JVC receiver, record out, mostly to either a DSP360 and TA for TV or just a TA for music. I haven't noticed that it takes that long to load. Maybe I'm not as impatient as I used to be.

Anyhow, while this is not an exceptionally wonderful unit, for what I'm using it for, I doubt if I could get significantly better performance for $1000. It passes AC-3 and DTS signals, CD-Audio signals, decent picture performance, everything I need this machine to do.

I was tempted to check out that all-in-one from J&R, but decided I'd pass. I don't plan on SACD in my office, not for awhile anyway. A cobbled together speaker system which I rarely use. HPs only most of the time. So, I'll wait for a Pioneer or JVC all-in-one.

And yes, I deliberately left Sony out. I'll do without before I'll buy their junk. Great when you get it, but reliability on the order of Dihatsu or Daewoo. Not my opinion, MY EXPERIENCE!!

Feb 7, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by ponzio
Dusty- are you thinking about the APEX unit? They look cheap, but supposedly are good units - and they are so inexpensive that they seem to gaining alot of marketshare in a notoriously tough industry.

As you can see, they've not been getting consistently good reviews. PS Yes, that's the one.

I'm thinking DV-47A.

Feb 7, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 24
After auditioning the Sony SCD-333ES
eek.gif
for a good amount of time, it's next on my upgrade list. I'd like to then take a step back and acquire a high-end turntable.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also want to audition the Marantz SA-14.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 24
Get any decent turntable. I've been pushing my Zotl with a Rotel CDP-Theta TLC-partially modded DI/O (which succeeded Theta Chroma 396). Just for the fun of it, I ran my #3 table into the Zotl. Denon DP-52F, Grado Red, and Little Rat. Denon and Grado were bought used ($159 total), the Little Rat cost all of $25. Less than $200 of vinyl gear was clearly superior to the digital side. Ack! What would have happened if I had used my good turntable?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 24
Rumor has it there will be several dozen SACD multichannel rock and pop titles hitting shelves in the upcoming months.

Feb 9, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 24
Well, nobody's SACD collection is going to be very big at the moment. But even without SACDs, I'm still enjoying my 9000ES immensely, and am really, really happy to have it at the center of my system. I do mostly CD playing on it more than anything. Occasionally I throw a DVD or two in, and it does offer a noticeable improvement over the el cheapo DVD players I've had experience with, to the point where it would be hard to go back to the shoddier picture.

Would I still purchase an SACD player today? Well a huge influence on my decision to get the 9000ES was how well built Sony's ES players all are, along with the crazily long warranty. I care about sound first, build quality second, formats third. I had a Rega Jupiter 2000 before the 9000ES, and the 9000ES just makes the Jupiter look like a cheap toy. Everything about the 9000ES reeks of quality...from the way the CD drawer slowly glides out, to the 30lbs of heft and weight, to the copper chassis, to the gold plated connections in the back (I mention this because the freaking Jupiter, a $1500 player, had plain nickel plated jacks
rolleyes.gif
) Getting the 9000ES makes me want to go get a Sony ES MD deck next. That the 9000ES can play four formats is just a doozy...and if I threw in a HDCD capable DAC, it'd be up to five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back