SACD question
Jun 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uncletim

Previously known as mingus
Using an Oppo 93 SACD player to play my Audio CDs and SACD CDs, into a reciever with HDMI, any way to output through analog to headphone amp without using the DACs in the receiver?

I guess SACD will not squeeze though optical/coaxial. only HDMI or analog, just curious if there is a way to use an outboard DAC.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 8
SACD will run over HDMI correct? Then the receiver converts it to analog.

either the receiver supports DSD over HDMI or converts it to PCM, but SACD did travel over digital HDMI connection.

was curious about analog out to external DAC from receiver.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 8
I've heard some high-end SACD transporters (Esoteric) could carry SACD over digital output using their own protocol, but other than that I don't think you could get digital output from SACD via OPPO BDP-93.
By the way, how do you think of the sound quality of BDP-93? I am thinking purchasing a BDP-95 as an all-in-one player. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 8
I have the 83se at the moment, was thinking about the 93. the 83 and 93 have the same analog DACs as far as that goes. some receivers do support DSD over HDMI, Oppo will output SACD either DSD or PCM, depends what your receiver will support over HDMI, most will not support DSD, only PCM, but it's changeable in the Oppo setup. over analog, no problem with DSD.

most of my serious music listening is with headphones, was trying to figure out that with the 93 as transport.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 8
The Oppos are primarily BD-players with SACD-playback support added. If you are after a single-unit multiformat player that supports multi-channel decoding of either media, for the asking price, they have a lot to offer.

Unfortunately, there is little net benefit in trying to offload native DSD stream processing to a multifunction receiver, unless your goal is to watch THX, DTS or whatever x.1 encoded movies.  The reason behind this is that none of these units typically offer external high-quality clock input which can act as an effective traffic cop against jitter, the main enemy against high-end digital music reproduction.

At present, I have an ESOTERIC P03/D03/G-0x combo.  I'm planning to upgrade the G-0x at some point to a Rubidium clock, which is about 1000 times more accurate than the PLL crystal clock in the G-0x, but it is still superior to have both the transport and the external DAC running on their own built-in clocks independently to each other.

As far as the connectivity is concerned between the SACD transport and the DAC, the only suitable option that allows native DSD streaming between the two components at a 176kHz clock frequency are the AES/EBU interfaces (an evolution of the old SPDIF standard).  Firewire is also supported, however, it doesn't possess sufficient bandwidth for DSD processing, so PCM conversion at a lower sampling frequency is required, which defeats the purpose of investing in these devices the first place.

If you do not wish to invest in separate components, the company's new K-03 and the top-of-the-line K-01 single player units offer comparable performance.  I had a K-03 and even it did not allow DSD streaming to the D-03 DAC.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
The Oppos are primarily BD-players with SACD-playback support added. If you are after a single-unit multiformat player that supports multi-channel decoding of either media, for the asking price, they have a lot to offer.

Unfortunately, there is little net benefit in trying to offload native DSD stream processing to a multifunction receiver, unless your goal is to watch THX, DTS or whatever x.1 encoded movies.  The reason behind this is that none of these units typically offer external high-quality clock input which can act as an effective traffic cop against jitter, the main enemy against high-end digital music reproduction.

At present, I have an ESOTERIC P03/D03/G-0x combo.  I'm planning to upgrade the G-0x at some point to a Rubidium clock, which is about 1000 times more accurate than the PLL crystal clock in the G-0x, but it is still superior to have both the transport and the external DAC running on their own built-in clocks independently to each other.

As far as the connectivity is concerned between the SACD transport and the DAC, the only suitable option that allows native DSD streaming between the two components at a 176kHz clock frequency are the AES/EBU interfaces (an evolution of the old SPDIF standard).  Firewire is also supported, however, it doesn't possess sufficient bandwidth for DSD processing, so PCM conversion at a lower sampling frequency is required, which defeats the purpose of investing in these devices the first place.

If you do not wish to invest in separate components, the company's new K-03 and the top-of-the-line K-01 single player units offer comparable performance.  I had a K-03 and even it did not allow DSD streaming to the D-03 DAC.

Hi Warp08 thank you for your detailed info, just wonder if you have any idea how OPPOs compare to some lower-end SACD/CD players? The specs (BDP95) look impressive to me and I would like to (occassionally) watch some blu-rays as well.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Hi Warp08 thank you for your detailed info, just wonder if you have any idea how OPPOs compare to some lower-end SACD/CD players? The specs (BDP95) look impressive to me and I would like to (occassionally) watch some blu-rays as well.

I draw the line with ESOTERIC players of those that sport the VRDS-NEO mechanism, instead of VOSP.  They are in a different league in terms of overall performance and price.  The cost of the VRDS-NEO component price itself is around $3K, BTW.

Cheaper units use VOSP and while still carry the ESOTERIC logo and some of the build qualities of the higher priced units, my opinion is that most of the extra cost compared to an Oppo comes from, well brand name.  However, ESOTERIC support is just amazing, one of the best in the business.

I have not spent quality time with the Universal line to form an opinion, but I'm sure the top-of-the-line units blow any Oppo out of the water, both in quality and price.  Resale value of any ESOTERIC unit is also very high, depending on condition.

Here is a quick cut&paste from the Esoteric website that speaks to their Universal lineup:

"ESOTERIC CD/SACD/DVD audio/DVD video players include 14 bit video processing and the use of extended output stage video buffers (UX-3Pi, UX-1PI and P-03UNI). Our exclusive HDMI "Expanded," mode enhances black level detail and our video output stage provides high definition ("HD"), video resolution up to 1080p, using highly advanced scan conversion in the digital domain, from existing DVD's, without having to buy new software. (Blu-ray players do not provide these proprietary enhancements to provide 1080p from conventional DVDs).  Current title count on DVD is over 135,000. The 1080p/HDMI video output stage on the P-03UNI, UX-3Pi and UX-1Pi have been classified as "Reference Standard." See models DV-60, P-03 UNI, UX3Pi and UX-1Pi (Video resolution to 480p/720p/1080i/1080p). For more information on Esoteric and our position on Blu-ray disc players please see our technology section selectable from the top of this page." 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back