SACD question
Dec 25, 2006 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

axky99

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. I wonder if SACD can play on regular CDP. How's the quality? Of course, I won't expect it will be the same as SACD but will it become worse than regular cd or just equal as regular CD version. Thank you advance for all your comments!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLLIDAYS!!!

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 8
You can't play SACD on regular redbook players like the GO8. If it's a hybrid SACD, then only the redbook layer will be played. If it's a DSD only SACD, then it won't play at all. I'm sure the redbook layer will sound just fine coming out of that Meridian though.
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 8
Look for the hybrid discs. Those play fine on Red Book decks, and they're usually remastered, as well. On the average, I find SACDs to have better mastering. The other good point is that if you ever decide to buy a SACD player (I highly recommend it) you'll already have a small collection to get started with.

If you're curious, the Sony SCD-CE595 is a good place to start. They've been selling refurbs as low as $60, which is really a bargain. It's not the best player out there, but it is plenty good enough to give you a taste of SACD.

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't play SACD on regular redbook players like the GO8. If it's a hybrid SACD, then only the redbook layer will be played. If it's a DSD only SACD, then it won't play at all. I'm sure the redbook layer will sound just fine coming out of that Meridian though.
biggrin.gif

How's the quality of hybrid layer compare to regular cd?

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for the hybrid discs. Those play fine on Red Book decks, and they're usually remastered, as well. On the average, I find SACDs to have better mastering.

That's the biggest deal I've noticed on formats other than CD. They often have better, more "audiophile" mastering. I think that part does a heck of a lot more good than any differences the formats might permit.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the biggest deal I've noticed on formats other than CD. They often have better, more "audiophile" mastering. I think that part does a heck of a lot more good than any differences the formats might permit.

You might be right about that, and I've heard Bigshot here say the same thing. Still, I like the format. The players cost about the same as Red Book ones and I have no problem paying a few dollars more for a good recording.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 8
I concur regarding the greater likelihood of better mastering on SACD hybrids vs. standard redbooks. Typically, with older music, the benefit is that it has been remastered and in many cases the improvement is quite noticeable. However, be forwarned, there are some pretty questionable sounding SACD's as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back