SACD Mahler Bernstein
Sep 17, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Raptor34

100+ Head-Fier
Sony has announced the release of the Bernstein/NYP Mahler cycle in SACD! Saw the first four symphonies at Amazon pre order today so it must be true. The release date is Oct 9th. These are Japan sacd hyprids. Prices are really high. The 3rd is going for $45.00. Has anyone heard any of these? Wonder if they improve any on the Sony 20 bit stereo release. You know, the one I bought just 6 months ago
blink.gif
Oh my.

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 20
Glad I waited! Actually, the only one I have is the original CBS issue of the 3rd. Who knows, maybe I'll even invest in an SACD player.. do they make portable SACD players?? :)

-jar

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 20
Yikes! More Money for Mahler. Some of the Sony sacds I've bought that were made in the 60s sound fantastic -- it's amazing how much detail Columbia Records could get. But even on LP I never thought they captured the NY Phil as well as they did the Philadelphia or Cleveland. But we'll see how good those originals sound. As much I as like many newer recordings, Bernstein remains in a class by himself. Too bad the prices are so incredibly high.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes! More Money for Mahler. Bernstein remains in a class by himself. Too bad the prices are so incredibly high.

Isn't it amazing how much mileage these forty plus year old analog master tapes are getting? Technology in the service of music instead of the other way around. The least expensive is the 1st and it's priced at $33. Ouch. Come on Sony, sheese.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it amazing how much mileage these forty plus year old analog master tapes are getting? Technology in the service of music instead of the other way around. The least expensive is the 1st and it's priced at $33. Ouch. Come on Sony, sheese.

They are Japanese cds which doesn't help. My few RCAs from Japan were also outrageously expensive. It just seems to me that if RCA can produce the Living Stereo sacds and sell them under $15 that Sony could do the same. How many times have they re-re-re-re-released those recordings? How much more money do they want?

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are Japanese cds which doesn't help. My few RCAs from Japan were also outrageously expensive. It just seems to me that if RCA can produce the Living Stereo sacds and sell them under $15 that Sony could do the same. How many times have they re-re-re-re-released those recordings? How much more money do they want?

Me and my big mouth! Guess Sony read my complaints here about their pricing of the re re re release of Bernsteins NYP Mahler cycle in SACD. They raised the price of the M3 to $57.99! (at Amazon) GASP

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 20
Wow, I guess I'll stick with my LPs, but I only have volume I (1, 6 and 9). I think the sound is very good, and probably hard to surpass on digital. Unfortunately I don't have an SACD player, so I would only get the CD version anyway.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 20
At least DG hasn't gotten the same idea with Lenny's Mahler...it was always more expesive to my knowledge, and many don't care for it anyways. I happen to like it quite a bit, but it is pricey.

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BAwig05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least DG hasn't gotten the same idea with Lenny's Mahler...it was always more expesive to my knowledge, and many don't care for it anyways. I happen to like it quite a bit, but it is pricey.

Didn't DG just released them as budget sets?

$57.99 is more than what I'd paid for the whole redbook Bernstein/NYP Mahler cycle.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't DG just released them as budget sets?

$57.99 is more than what I'd paid for the whole redbook Bernstein/NYP Mahler cycle.

Sony is asking $75 for the sixth!
blink.gif

May 17, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony is asking $75 for the sixth!
blink.gif

GAD! Inflation is insane! That's what it costs to fill my buick! But, I'd rather have the Mahler any day.

May 17, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 20
I really wonder about this: Is it really necessary?

I'm doubtful that the improvement in sound quality over the stereo will be appreciable except on top quality playback equipment. I doubt it will be in multichannel sound in any event. At these prices for marginal improvement in sound I am not at all tempted to duplicate recordings already in my collection.

Btw, if anyone is thinking of ripping these for ipod, be warned -- you can only rip the redbook stereo layer, so you will not see any improvement at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back