SACD-enabled PS3 to test in NYC/NJ ?
Sep 15, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wavoman

Headphoneus Supremus
In other threads we have been discussing SACD playback from older PS3's, and wondering if we could capture downsampled-from-DSD LPCM at 176.4 by splitting off S/PDIF audio from the HDMI port.

Yuri, the authority on SACD and PS3 over at ps3sacd.com (we have been emailing each other) thinks this is unlikely, since the HDMI port on the PS3 looks for HDCP compliance.

BUT I have found -- and purchased -- an HDMI break-out box that exposes S/PDIF and confroms to HDCP!

Kanex HDMI 2x1 Switcher v1.3b HDMISW2HF Separate SPDIF COAX Toslink Audio Output Channel 2x1 HDMI Switcher-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Apogee HDMI v1.3b 2x1 Switch w/ Separate S/PDIF Coax and Toslink Audio Output - HDMISW2HF, $68.95

HDMI Switcher 2x1 v1.3b with Separate SPDIF COAX Toslink Audio Output Channel

So we need to:

1. Get an older PS3 with SACD playback, and play an SACD

2. Disable DSD in the menu options, so that the HDMI port will carry LPCM

3. Attach my break-out box

4. Feed the S/PDIF in to a DAC (or software) that displays sampling rate, and see if we have 176.4 or just 48

Anyone want to meet me in NYC or NJ and try this? I don't want to buy an old PS3 only to find that all I can get is 48! (I can already rip SACDs at 88.2 downsampled LPCM).

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 16
Hi!

Good idea to go for it and check if this would really work.
There seems no evidence that these splitters really allow Highrez stripped off the HDMI stream.

just to add ..., you might need be a display with HDMI/HDCP compliancy, so that there really is a HDCP handshake going on ...

Keep us posted!

Cheers
Harald

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 16
As far as I knew, the PS3 doesn't ship DSD out, it mixes it to multichanel LPCM _ well thats what my amps says anyway.
It will send out 176.4khz - no idea why it would try 48khz.
Unfortunately I don't live near NYC or I'd love to try your break-out box - it would be great to rip SACD to my PC, then I wouldn't have to get up of the sofa.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 16
I cannot wait!

If this works, I just may have to borrow your recording rig for a week
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 16
We got this to work at the NYC meet! With expert assistance from head-fi'ers jeremyrp (Jeremy) and strid3r (Rich -- always so helpful at meets!), all the pieces came together:

1. An older PS3 (60GB) with SACD capabilites, including downsamplin to 176.4.
2. An HDMI-to-S/PDIF breakout box
3. A DAC that could handle this, with a diagostic display.

And it happened! A S/PDIF bitsteam on RCA coax at 24/176.4 from an SACD.

The SACD had no redbook layer, and the DAC has a display, so there is no mistaking this.

I will post full details later. Thanks of course to Yuri at PS3SACD.com - the Super Audio CD resource for PlayStation3 users for inventing this whole idea!

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 16
IIRC, the PS3 would output SACD at the highest sampling rate you had checked off in the audio output, but a multiple of 44.1khz was supposed to be better. I can't test it because my original PS3 (20GB model) went out a few months ago, and I bought a slim version.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, the PS3 would output SACD at the highest sampling rate you had checked off in the audio output, but a multiple of 44.1khz was supposed to be better. I can't test it because my original PS3 (20GB model) went out a few months ago, and I bought a slim version.

Yes, that menu controls the output rate, and since DSD native is exactly 8 x 176.4, that is the perfect choice.

Anyone can do this, but the hi res output is only available on the HDMI port. The trick is to get it on S/PDIF coax!

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you sure this SACD is marked with the 'no copy' bit? Or is that moot since it sends out LPCM over HDMI.

I can only assume the no-copy is on, have no way to test this. And yes, the LPCM is sent over HDMI, then broken out by the box.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmodad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WADR, folk have been doing this for quite a while. search is your friend: look for atlona (esp atlona AT-HD570 and atlona AT-HDMI-DVI) both here on HF and over at hoffman forums

Thanks for all these pointers, emmodad, here and in the other thread. I was starting in the PS3 world specifically, and then, bridging the PS3 world and the Head-Fi world, noted that the Vanity board stopped at 88.2, as did my Wadia, hence my search for this solution.

You have gone far beyond, and I will study what you did!

I know Atlona makes good equipment, I have some of their gear.

Thanks again, great stuff!

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #14 of 16
Er, I should have said LPCM over the S/PDIF output from the converter not over HDMI.

In any case quite interesting but not exactly a budget way to get S/PDIF output...even if the boxes are cheap (which they all are not - the atlona's) you have to get a PS3 too.

This is something I've been very interested in checking out lately, I'd love to be able to rip SACDs to use with a Squeezebox or what have you by recording the S/PDIF output.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Interested in hearing about the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back