SACD/DVDA playback question...
Mar 5, 2007 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi @. This might be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway :). I'd like to add SACD/DVDA capability to my headphone rig, using my existing DAC & headphone amp. Now, I'm not 100% sure on how this works, but I'm assuming I can't use my own DAC because you can't output a bitstream from an SACD/DVDA due to their paranoid anti-copying malarky, and my DAC wouldn't know how to decode the signal anyway. Does this mean I'm stuck with doing all the D/A conversion in the player, and outputting the signal via line level to my headphone amp? Or should the player be able to down-convert the multichannel audio track to 2-channel stereo, but keeping it in the digital domain so my offboard DAC can do the D/A conversion?

If the player has to do all the D/A conversion, is there really any benefit in SACD/DVDA over redbook CD for headphone listening, bearing in mind the DACs built into a regular player might not be of the highest quality (I'm making an assumption here). Cheers for any info.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Yep players generally need to do the DAC. This is the exact reason I no longer use SACD. DVD-A can be transmitted to a DAC, but a flag on a DVD-A can be set to make sure that the player first downsamples to 48khz in which case you loose the benefit of the format in the first place.

It's nieve to think that an external DAC is better than an internal just because it is external. This is only something that can only be investigated by looking at the DAC and player in question. Although admittedly a nice Electrocompaniet DAC will probably beat a $100 SACD player
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 6
Cheers Garbz. I'm assuming my VDA2 DAC will be superior to the one in my Pioneer 575 DVD player, else the latter would be the bargain of the century, but I guess you never know
wink.gif
. I have a Rotel 1068 processor in storage at the moment, so I might experiment a bit & see if I can get a configuration that works well with SACD/DVDA. From what you've said though, it doesn't sound promising.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 6
A SACD player can still be a transport for redbook playback though. I have a Music Hall Maverick that has a coaxial output. When it plays a SACD, it will only be output through the RCA outputs. When it's a CD or redbook layer from a hybrid, it will also output through the digital connection. Whereby I use my Benchmark DAC for redbook. I've noticed the SQ of the Benchmark is improved with a nice transport. IMHO, I'm getting the best of both worlds: the Maverick has pretty good SACD playback and is a good transport. The Bencmark has pretty good redbook playback. So I'm set with all my audiophile needs
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Actually, the Sony SCD-XA-9000ES (current top-of-the-line) will output in digital. Then again, the XA9000ES runs about $1,800 as a refurb and the few DACs that'll take its signal are in five figure territory. So you can do it, but the Fire Department will show up to put out your credit card.

Then again, don't dismiss SACD players just because you have to use its internal DAC. If you get beyond the budget players and DVD combos, there are some great ones out there.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again, don't dismiss SACD players just because you have to use its internal DAC. If you get beyond the budget players and DVD combos, there are some great ones out there.

Yeah, think of it just like buying separates, but you're, errr, buying them together!

Seriously there are good and bad combos, just like separates. Do the groundwork and some auditioning, and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back