SACD (DSD) over HDMI (not i2s)
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nagi8404

100+ Head-Fier
Recently we've been seeing a lot of DACs that are including not just a network streamer, but also home theater capabilities. HiFi ROSE, matrix, Mytek, T+A, to name a few have a few DACs with HDMI inputs. This is not i2s, just your trusty AV use HDMI protocol. Some of them even have ARC functionality.

Now a lot of blu-ray players also support bitstreaming through HDMI so they can let their AV receivers to the decoding natively. My question is, are these HDMI equipped devices capable of receiving bitstream DSD signal off SACD layer? I always thought a special Sony chip is needed, which these DAC manufacturers probably don't have.

Apologies in advance for the niche question.

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 5
The Ferrum WANDLA (DAC) HDMI input accepts PCM only (up to 192/24). 1 HDMI input, no HDMI output/passthru.

The Matrix Element X2 and Element M2 (DAC/streamer) HDMI input accepts PCM only (up to 192/24). 1 HDMI input, no HDMI output/passthru.

The HiFi ROSE RS150B (DAC/streamer) HDMI input accepts both PCM and DSD. 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output/passthru.

The T+A DAC 200 (DAC) HDMI inputs accepts both PCM and DSD. 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output/passthru.

The Mytek Empire (DAC/streamer) HDMI inputs accepts both PCM and DSD. 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output/passthru.

Hope this helps. :nerd:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 5
The HiFi ROSE DAC/streamers don't have any HDMI inputs. They only have an HDMI output.

ROSE 150B has HDMI "ARC IN"

You may need a HDMI 2.0 ARC Pass Through Switch for it although I don't know if it will provide the kind of sound that you're looking for. I know one switch has:

Supported audio formats: LPCM, Dolby Digital/Plus/EX, Dolby True HD,
Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-EX, DTS-96/24, DTS High Res, DTS-HD Master
Audio, DSD

Inside the Rose settings, there is an amazing amount of control and adjustments that can be made, it allows you to go into each input & output and make numerous changes and set parameters of each port.

rose3.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Woops. My bad. :sweat_smile:

Corrected.

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 5
The Ferrum WANDLA (DAC) HDMI input accepts PCM only (up to 192/24). 1 HDMI input, no HDMI output/passthru.

The Matrix Element X2 and Element M2 (DAC/streamer) HDMI input accepts PCM only (up to 192/24). 1 HDMI input, no HDMI output/passthru.

The HiFi ROSE RS150B (DAC/streamer) HDMI input accepts both PCM and DSD. 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output/passthru.

The T+A DAC 200 (DAC) HDMI inputs accepts both PCM and DSD. 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output/passthru.

The Mytek Empire (DAC/streamer) HDMI inputs accepts both PCM and DSD. 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output/passthru.

This absolutely helps.

I wish manufacturers are a bit clearer on this.
Say the RS150B, I can't find in the manual anywhere that says HDMI input will support DSD.
1682514129767.png

Yes it says here it supports DSD, but which inputs?
1682514163184.png

This doesn't specifically say either :\

I guess I'll just have to email them and directly ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back