SABRE ES9038PRO

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by divefroggy, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Whitigir

9028 Pro is direct upgrade to pins compatible on HA-1. So if it is superior to 9018S, I think Oppo should do an upgrade package for HA-1 Owner.

Otherwise, a DIY project would do it too :D . This is what I had been waiting on

2. audiobill
    The new Wyred 4 Sound DAC v2 Series top of the line model DAC-2v2 SE incorporates the ESS Sabre 9038PRO DAC.

3. dmance
    Do we have a definitive review of any DAC based on 9028/9038? Specifically..how this new generation of chips steers people (me) from R2R based designs. Yes, I've googled...no formal magazine reviews nor 'first impressions'.

4. audiobill
    The Ayre QX-5 Twenty DAC was the first to use the new ES9038PRO and was recently reviewed by Audiostream. Initial user comments on this unit are very favorable, with some comparing it favorably to other significantly more expensive DACs.

5. dmance
    I will just say that there is so much forum chatter at the R2R/FPGA DaC level. Chip DACs, regardless of advancement have dropped out of favour(fashion) so fast...yeah they may sound good, but nobody cares for a me-too product.

6. soundman414
    I think FPGA DACs will be a phase. It's more that companies were not satisfied with the results or performance of SOC DAC solutions on the market and needed to figure out their own way of going above and beyond chips like the Sabre DAC. FPGAs granted them the additional computing power and the flexibility to refine the D/A process.

However, as history has shown us, companies like ESS or ARM listen to market demands and incorporate 90% of what specialized applications achieve in a high volume, low-cost solution. They then market the hell out of it, price it aggressively and most customers no longer see the value in costly specialized applications. Subsequently, companies also see a better profit margin with a high volume, low cost component that delivers 90% of what a more costly and complex solution provided.

Sound is one of those things that as you get more and more performance, you get closer to an end goal that doesn't really grow in complexity, due to the limitations of human hearing. This is why I believe there will be an end (eventually) to the arms race for the perfect DAC. This is unlike other forms of data processing where there is an infinite possibility for greater computing power and greater results each time.

7. yage

That would be the QX-5 Twenty.

And as a happy owner of two of their other (now discontinued) digital sources, I know that Ayre makes top shelf kit.

8. audiobill
    Thanks for the correction, my mistake. I've updated my original post accordingly.

9. Roen
    Any portable 9038Pro DACs?

10. Whitigir
    Nope, but LKS has dual 9038pro DAC with discrete class A output stage MH-DA004
    IMG_1431.jpg

11. Roen
    It's not even that cheap.

Oppo Sonica has been out for ages. It has dual 9038Pro.

I don't see what the value proposition of the LKS is.

12. Whitigir
    Sonica uses dual 9038pro ? I thought it was single

13. Roen

I just looked at the specs again, I think you're right. I must have had it confused with another DAC I was looking at this morning.

My mistake.

14. zilch0md
    ^ Still, nobody else has an ES9038Pro DAC as low as Oppo's $799 offering.  Other manufacturer's ESS ES9038Pro implementations are priced far higher than the Oppo Sonica DAC.  

L.K.S. wants $1260 for the "standard USB" version of their dual ES9038PRO, so some might argue that's a better deal than the Oppo Sonica DAC, in that L.K.S. isn't asking $1600 (twice the cost of a Sonica).   [​IMG]