SAA HD 800 modification ?
Jun 29, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #91 of 118

Specifically, it says "The HD800 Ultra-mod is a proprietary process which entails removing specific parts from the stock HD800’s internal and external assembly, treating and remounting the drivers for optimal vibration control and replacing the driver mounting configuration with a Stefan AudioArt proprietary system." Not very specific, I know. But people do like the mod.

And it may very well work.   But before you plunk down what he wants for this "proprietary" mod you might try  just adding sorbothane, preferably inside the earcups, close to the drivers.  It costs a few percent of what is being charged for the mod, is fully reversible, thus not damaging the resale of your phones, and can be amazingly effective if done right.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #92 of 118
  And it may very well work.   But before you plunk down what he wants for this "proprietary" mod you might try  just adding sorbothane, preferably inside the earcups, close to the drivers.  It costs a few percent of what is being charged for the mod, is fully reversible, thus not damaging the resale of your phones, and can be amazingly effective if done right.

hehe, there's no way I'm buying the HD 800 anyway until I get the SR-009 and Abyss first. Wasn't that impressed by the HD 800 when I heard it for a few hours. On the other hand, I'm fairly impressed by the STAX SR-30 I got today, considering I got this system in exchange for a handful of my CDs. Just need to figure out why it becomes completely distorted when I increase the volume. You seem to be knowledgeable about electrostats and electrets. Any idea what's going on? I'm using a STAX SRD-4 electret adapter and Lepai LP-2020A+ speaker amp (with better power supply) with it.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #93 of 118

hehe, there's no way I'm buying the HD 800 anyway until I get the SR-009 and Abyss first. Wasn't that impressed by the HD 800 when I heard it for a few hours. On the other hand, I'm fairly impressed by the STAX SR-30 I got today, considering I got this system in exchange for a handful of my CDs. Just need to figure out why it becomes completely distorted when I increase the volume. You seem to be knowledgeable about electrostats and electrets. Any idea what's going on? I'm using a STAX SRD-4 electret adapter and Lepai LP-2020A+ speaker amp (with better power supply) with it.

Could be a problem with the bias on the drivers.  Some of the discussion I have seen about this problem is that while they do not lose the bias which is permanently polarized on  the driver, other charges can build up on the driaphragm or the stators which go contrary to the driver bias.  At one time I worked in a  EE department which was making similar drivers and I  recall the technician showing me how this phenomenon messed up his productions.

I would suggest just leaving the phones plugged in all the time and also running for a significant period to see if this resolves  the problem.  It's a problem with electrostatics too and you are generally advised to short out the plug pins when you remove the phones from an amp.  I generally leave mine plugged in all the time (but not with the amp on)

Of course there could be other problems such as a driver with holes. If you can open the earcups you could see if there is driver damage.  There could be  problem with the transformer/energizer.  You might try running them on a regular Stax amp.  Doesn't matter low or high bias because there is no bias pin in the plug for the electrets.  If the problem goes away it would seem that the energizer is at fault. .

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #94 of 118

Good news at last.....I just received my repaired/reterminated Ultramodified HD800s back from SAA and they sound as good as ever. Thankfully, I was not billed for the repair/retermination or return postage (though I certainly paid in angst and time).

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #95 of 118

Good news at last.....I just received my repaired/reterminated Ultramodified HD800s back from SAA and they sound as good as ever. Thankfully, I was not billed for the repair/retermination or return postage (though I certainly paid in angst and time).

I have had a number of past dealings with SAA (last transaction was in mid 2014). I must say I am more than happy with their customer service as well as product quality. Perhaps they did have genuine reasons for the delay which you have encountered. Anyway, I am glad to hear that your problem has now been resolved
smile.gif
. Good listening
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #96 of 118
Received last week a mail that my HD800 mod repair would be returned back to me into 4 weeks. If true, will be a 5 months delay.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #97 of 118
  Could be a problem with the bias on the drivers.  Some of the discussion I have seen about this problem is that while they do not lose the bias which is permanently polarized on  the driver, other charges can build up on the driaphragm or the stators which go contrary to the driver bias.  At one time I worked in a  EE department which was making similar drivers and I  recall the technician showing me how this phenomenon messed up his productions.

I would suggest just leaving the phones plugged in all the time and also running for a significant period to see if this resolves  the problem.  It's a problem with electrostatics too and you are generally advised to short out the plug pins when you remove the phones from an amp.  I generally leave mine plugged in all the time (but not with the amp on)

Of course there could be other problems such as a driver with holes. If you can open the earcups you could see if there is driver damage.  There could be  problem with the transformer/energizer.  You might try running them on a regular Stax amp.  Doesn't matter low or high bias because there is no bias pin in the plug for the electrets.  If the problem goes away it would seem that the energizer is at fault. .

Some people are telling me that I just need a more powerful speaker amp.

Glad to hear!

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #98 of 118
Hello Claude,

Sorry, we are still working on finishing your order due to circumstances beyond our control.

And we sincerely apologies for the lack of communication much of which has been due to several problems we have encountered in our server upgrade process. 

We estimate another 3 to 4 weeks then your HD800's repair and 4 pin Cocobolo Wood Shell connector will ship back to you.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

We will send the invoice for the 4 pin Cocobolo Wood Shell connector out to you soon.

Thank you.

SAA Team

Things are moving !?

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #99 of 118

Hello Claude,

Your order will be ready to ship sooner than expected and will ship back to you in a few days.

We will send you out the PayPal invoice for the Cocobolo 4-pin xlr connector change today.

Please confirm that the following is the correct return shipping address:

Thank you and my apologies again for the very long wait.

Kind regards,

James S Serdechny

Founder/Design Engineer

Stefan AudioArt ® — Professional Reference • Audiophile Headphone System Cables

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #100 of 118
Hello the Forum,

All in all I received my HD800 SAA Moded repaired.
End of the story.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #102 of 118
Actually listened on the EC Zana Deux and Heada what is noticeable is the improvement on the trebles. Always airy keeping the large soundstage impression but no sibilance.

A huge mod with really audible results but crippling delays.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #103 of 118
  Actually listened on the EC Zana Deux and Heada what is noticeable is the improvement on the trebles. Always airy keeping the large soundstage impression but no sibilance.

A huge mod with really audible results but crippling delays.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
I guess " a huge mod" can also refer to the damage to your wallet
wink.gif
Since I really do like the way my HD800 sounds right now, just with a Norne Vanquish balanced cable, no further mods on the headphones themselves, I am not going to change anything i.e. also not going for the SAA mod. I have never experienced the sibilance issue that so many talk about. Maybe just a good choice of DAC.

Do you by chance have any before and after pictures to show what has actually been done with this mod?

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #104 of 118
Yes, huge mod for the cans and the wallet.

Agree for the sibilance. DAC choice and/or amp? But the mod lowers the ascendancy.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #105 of 118
Hello I going to PM you because I see some alarmimg problems with your mod and am surprised nobody has pointed this out.

I am not wanting to be involved but it does anger me why 2weeks since you posted your pics and no one has pointed out the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back