SAA HD 800 modification ?
Sep 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #106 of 118
Hello I going to PM you because I see some alarmimg problems with your mod and am surprised nobody has pointed this out.

I am not wanting to be involved but it does anger me why 2weeks since you posted your pics and no one has pointed out the problem

What problems concretely are you addressing? I do see some acoustic problems and the missing protective mesh/grill. Too risky in my book, with questionable sonic benefit, maybe with the exception of the hardwiring.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #107 of 118
I changed my mind and will respond:

Hello I going to PM you because I see some alarmimg problems with your mod and am surprised nobody has pointed this out.

I am not wanting to be involved but it does anger me why 2weeks since you posted your pics and no one has pointed out the problem

What problems concretely are you addressing? I do see some acoustic problems and the missing protective mesh/grill. Too risky in my book, with questionable sonic benefit, maybe with the exception of the hardwiring.

I am of the opinion that it is the owners choice on spending their money.
I dont care about how expensive it is...

My point, and the reason I personally was angered, was looking at this last pic of the mod done...

It was a sloppy unprofessional job..

Where the The Metal ring was removed, TWO SCREWS are missing,
Leaving the driver improperly secured..!

AND then, some big square nuts they placed(!), ruining the plastic grove..
It is mutilated mess in my eyes.

Instead I expected to see a dampened ring, or washers shaped to fit the groove,
And not any screws missing, causing undue stress on driver..

Anyways, like I say, if you want to throw big bucks around thats your perrogative and is not my issue.
My issue was the poor installation of that headphone.

I would HOPE to assume not all of them were done this sloppy.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #108 of 118
I'd say from the pictures I can't really judge if two screws are missing or just a different kind of fixing. The square washers do look odd but they look as being carefully positioned. Unless we get some direct feedback from the owner on how he likes the sound after the modification, everything else should be taken with a grain of salt, or two
wink.gif
Sometimes things do not particularly look nice but sound better that way.

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #109 of 118
From my point of vue, I can say that the mod addresses the trebles issue which many HD800 stock owners complain about.
But I drive them with tubey amps.

On the material side it is true that the mod is pricey and it involves several internal parts like the photos show, direct connections to the drivers and a new cable.
I don't see the mods having weakened the cans.

Perhaps those mods are now what make the new HD800 S ??

The biggest problem remains on the delays (3-4 months) which aren't acceptable for a customer and at this price like said before.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #110 of 118
I'm very cautiously considering having my HD800 modified this way (first making sure with SAA that the mentioned delays are NOT an issue anymore, because I will not be without my beloved cans for months on end!), but I was wondering if anyone has done a direct A/B comparison between the stock version of the HD800 and the SAA-modified one.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #111 of 118
Yes, I was able to compare the two versions having bought a new pair during the HUGE delay and I would say that the SAA mod significantly (paired with the SAA endorphin cable) improves the main problem of those cans, I name the trebles.
Consider also that Sennheiser has introduced a new version of the HD800.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #112 of 118
Alright, good to know! I am indeed aware of Sennheiser having released an improved version of the HD800 but, interestingly enough, SAA offers the same mod for THAT version, too, implying that although things have been improved, the problem isn't completely gone. Apart from that, buying the new Sennheiser is the rather more expensive option, and I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Another thing, your pics of the mod show that the protective mesh/grill is missing. Is that actually part of the mod, or did you only remove them to show what the mod looks like on the inside?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N9005 met Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #113 of 118
It is part of the mod. All pictures are representation of the exact mod.
But be careful with the abyssal delays...

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #114 of 118
It is part of the mod. All pictures are representation of the exact mod.
But be careful with the abyssal delays...

Thanks for that final bit of info, and oh yes, I'm VERY weary of those delays. I definitely won't do it if the situation regarding that hasn't changed!

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #115 of 118
Hello after looking back and re-reading,
I like to clarify.

So apologies to any SAA mod owners for alarming them about the screws.
That can be easily remedied.

Also,
I was wrong to mention anything about spending,
as that is the hobby!
I myself spent more than I like to know.

Anyways, about the SAA..
IMHO, it is the hardwire to endorphin cable that is a major part of the sonic improvement.

Remember the HD800 is sensitive to cable change, and hard wiring the HD800 is a major improvement I made a thread about it.

I like this cable, as it sounds as good or better than a silver dragon cable, by imparting a clear/sweet signature,
wich only lacking in lowest registers.
I know from testing modding an SAA unit.

I myself have moved onto larger guage pure silver for more neutrality,
But the endorphin cable does impart a sweetness to the hd800.
I have heard these differences enough times to consider it a fact for me.
Ok, so Just looking back at this thread and posting to clear any misunderstandings of my past posts.

May 4, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #116 of 118
Hi all,

IMHO, it is the hardwire to endorphin cable that is a major part of the sonic improvement.

I agree with this comment (hardwire + endorphin cable, yes).

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #117 of 118
Hello:

So is it worth spending this much money or just get the new HD800s? Does this MOD add anything to the Bass? I heard the new HD800s gives you a better bass sound? 

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #118 of 118
Hi,
I think that bass impact with the HD800 is relative to the DAC/Amp combo.
Yes, the mod (cable included) does a good job lowering the highs.

I have not listened to the HD800S but you have also new generation headphones like the DHarma D1000 which performs very well in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back