SA6, PFE, or Turbines?
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 152

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
I listen mostly to rock of all kinds- metal, soft rock, instrumental, progressive, whatever. A lot of hip-hop, electronica, and ambient too. Which one is the best fit for me? I'm really looking for more of a fun sound than anything. I'm not an analytical listener (but details are still important!)

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 152
Well, considering the price of the SA6 being $100 more than the PFE or the Turbine, I would stick with the latter two to choose from, and both will do what you what very well. The turbines will have more bass though, at least from what I've read.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 152
PFEs might be to analytical for you even with the black filters. Your best bet would probably be the Turbines.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 152
Well, the best thing to do is take advantage of Phonak's 14 day no obligation return policy, so try the PFEs and if you think they are too analytical, or need more bass, send them back and get the turbines.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen mostly to rock of all kinds- metal, soft rock, instrumental, progressive, whatever. A lot of hip-hop, electronica, and ambient too. Which one is the best fit for me? I'm really looking for more of a fun sound than anything. I'm not an analytical listener (but details are still important!)

I haven't heard the SA6 because of past problems with build quality but the PFEs are rather poor and a bad choice for that music. I found them quite cold and sounding like $40 IEMs when used without an amp. They were promptly returned.

Turbines are better and only cost $105. Atrios are also better and cost $145.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 152
I highly disagree with the PFEs being bad for that music and sounding like $40 IEMs, even though I did return mine for very personal preference based reasons. They sounded absolutely fantastic, but they do benefit from an amp with a bass boost to help give it a warmer sound.

However, I would recommend the turbines for that kind of music as, simply put, the turbines are more about the bass than the PFEs, which are more about neutrality and clarity.
Atrios are also good, but not as good as the other two. (I had the PFEs, now have atrios)

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 152
To Mr. Kobayahsi...I've owned both the Turbines (selling them) and the Atrios (sold them). Both are very good phones. But I still own the PFEs. OP might be better off with the Turbines, but the others posting here had positive things to say. Your M.O. continues.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 152
Turbines for your music tastes...

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my opinion, and for the music you listen to, the Turbines are almost certainly the best choice. I think you'd find the SA6 nice with acoustic music, but not suitable as an all-rounder. The Phonaks are just too thin, unless you plan to amp them. While lots of people like them unamped, there are others who feel they don't perform well unamped (including me), so it's something you might want to consider if you're looking for full-bodied fun straight out of the box.

You really can't go wrong with the Turbines, and as far as I know, there haven't been any major quality issues with them as yet - although I'm sure someone will correct me on that if I'm wrong
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 152
^ You do realize they come with black filters.... if you say they sound thin with them in, then I think your pair may be defective.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 152
Count me as another vote for the Turbines..... Wonderful for your genres of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back