SA6 or X10 for under $200?
Dec 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
I ordered the X5s from Klipsch and have since returned them having been completely underwhelmed by the lack of bass and weak highs (at least compared to my ATH-CK7s).

Just how different are the X10s from the X5s?

I am only considering the X10s simply because the X5s were so comfortable and did isolate so well.

Now, I would not expect the SA6s to be as comfortable, but does anyone know how they stack up SQ wise?

Anything I buy will be used with my Sansa E260, un-amped. I am just looking for an all around solid upgrade from the CK7s in every way.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 18
Are the SA6 okay for trance?

(I assume so given your name.)

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 18
Anyone else care to comment?

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 18
The X10 and SA6 are going to be close in sound quality, but the X10 are going to be warmer with a bit more bass and the SA6 are going to be tilted more toward treble and an "analytical" sound.

Both are good for trance, apparently (At least, I prefer using the X10 for Trance over my other IEMs, gives the music a "warm hue", so to speak).

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Taikero: I wish you could have auditioned the X5s as well as I was completely underwhelmed by them. I just wonder if I should jump to the X10s after that experience.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 18
Well, personally I think the X10 have a decent amount of bass and good highs. Like many others have said, I agree they have a slightly weak midrange.

What I am surprised about is you said the X5 have weak highs. From what I was aware, they are supposed to have better highs than the X10. If the information I have is true, then you're going to have a hard time finding an IEM that meets your needs, as most IEMs with as much bass or more compared to the X10 have weaker highs and mids than other more analytically-bent phones. I'm not saying the X10 is weak in highs (from my perspective), just that it's kind of the standard with bass-leaning IEMs.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 18
I am just trying out the X5's and comparing them to the X10's right now. The biggest difference between the two is the midrange and the bass. The X10 has a lot more bass and it extends deeper down. The X5 has a much more forward midrange that is much more pleasant for guitars. I think the x10 has a slightly larger soundstage. I think if you didn't like the x5's though, I would not recommend the x10s unless you were just looking for more bass.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 18
the sa6 are good for trance but if you listen to hiphop, its definitely not earphones suited for it. many times i listened to hiphop on these and the tempo just seems really off and slower. everything else i listen to is fine though.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for the input.

I think I am leaning towards the SA6.

Any idea what tips I can use on them besides the included bi-flanges?

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 18
funny thing u ask that. im using the klipsch image eartips and man i love having those on the sa6. i use the large one. you can see some pics that i posted in the sa6 appreciation thread thats been silent for quiet a while.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny thing u ask that. im using the klipsch image eartips and man i love having those on the sa6. i use the large one. you can see some pics that i posted in the sa6 appreciation thread thats been silent for quiet a while.

Are those Klipsch available anywhere yet? eBay?

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the SA6 okay for trance?

(I assume so given your name.)

[size=small]Trance?[/size]

Wilfredo, my little guy loves to dance to Trance. In fact, his first words upon slipping my on full sized HD600's was "Feed me Trance."

Head "bobbin" and foot "tappin", he has been hooked ever since.

As an owner of both the Klipsch X5 and Sleek SA6, I let Wilfredo borrow both to determine which was particularly better for Trance. Overwhelmingly, he chose the SA6. Thus, I would certainly feel confident in making that choice.

For Rock, Pop etc...the Klipsch X5 are good IEM's. For Trance, the Sleek SA6

Wilfredo has spoken his recommendation, the next step is for you to make a decision.

Please keep the group informed.

Peace during this joyous holiday season

From

Wilfredo's Family

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 18
@ oak3x - definitely SA6>X5 for trance - but I think the question was SA6 vs. X10?
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally a X10 - never heard the SA6s so I'm not really going to chime in on the direct head-to-head comparison (although just from comments it seems SA6s are more popular). From personal experience - the bass is amazing, the mid range/highs not as forward (though there is no doubting their presence). Coming from Shure SCL4s - a very different sound signature. However I'm quite sure you can get the Image tips from the Klipsch website. I think I've also heard the Shure Olives - which I <3 from my SCL4 days also work with SA6s (and alot of other phones).

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 18
I've owned both the X10 and SA6 and both are good choices. IMO which you choose might depend on how you wish to use them. IMO the X10's with the bi-flange ear gels had the edge in SQ but with all the other tips I tried on X10's I'd go with the SA6.

In their optimum configuration (for my preferences) the X10's had a fuller, better extended and more detailed bass. Midrange detail was pretty good on the X10's although a bit recessed. Highs on the X10's were quite laid back (with other tips they can be a bit brighter and more aggressive). IMO, the SA6's strong suit is it's midrange and detailed yet unfatiguing treble. To me the X10's had a somewhat lush, involving sound while SA6's are a bit more even handed yet lively.

The cable on the X10's is rather atrocious, it's microphonic and it just plain feels cheap. I only ever used them at my desk so it wasn't a big deal but if I was to use them more on the go I'd probably think twice because it's not user replaceable. The SA6's cable isn't the best I've seen but it's decent. The biggest pluses are it's less microphonic, it's replaceable at relatively little expense and it can be worn straight down or over the ear which will help eliminate microphonics. The SA6's VQ system also gives it that extra bit of versatility to help tune the sound to you're preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back