SA6 or RE2+C751?
Sep 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kirtar

Head-Fier
My brother is thinking about getting a set of IEMs, but is kind of torn between the c751 (98+SH) and the RE2 (80+SH) and is now thinking about getting both of them (And I'm thinking of the SA6 (189 shipped) for myself). So the 2 part question goes:
1. RE2 or C751 (for classical music, CCM, movie soundtracks, etc)?
2. RE2 and C751 or the SA6? //(Is this option worth it over just one IEM)

I realize that the RE2 does have a return policy, and I could order both and return the RE2 if unwanted, but I'd rather avoid the hassle. Also, he has an iPod nano g1, eventually to get a d2 (I've read that the c700s should be EQed to make it better, and iPod's EQ isn't the easiest to use). I'm not sure how big of a budget he can get--birthday in 2 weeks--so it may or may not be possible to get $200 worth, being the reason for the 2 part question.
Thoughts/comments?

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 7
I'd go SA6 to be honest with you.

I would say the C700/C751 once burnt in are like the RE2's but with better separation, slightly wider soundstage and of course, a goodf amount of bass that's lacking in the RE2's.
Thefroe having them both together = bad idea IMO.

Go the SA6.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I have to respectfully disagree on the EQ comment. I've never found EQ to be able to compensate adequately for a sound I didn't like. A good example is the CX300 with its overblown bass. You can decrease the bass with EQ but it still just doesn't sound right. Similarly, although I like the RE2's, they are not particularly strong in bass, and adding bass through EQ does not help. It just sounds like you are pushing the bass to a level the IEM can't naturally handle.

I am just really not an EQ person. A good headphone or speaker should sound good with flat EQ. The only place I use EQ is in my office with a cheap set of powered speakers at low volumes. Turning the bass knob to about 3/4 in that setup does help.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can decrease the bass with EQ but it still just doesn't sound right. Similarly, although I like the RE2's, they are not particularly strong in bass, and adding bass through EQ does not help. It just sounds like you are pushing the bass to a level the IEM can't naturally handle.

Agreed, but it's better to spend money on one good IEM and make minor eq adjustments than to buy two so-so IEMs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back