SA6 Mods
Aug 10, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried this mod, and it makes very little difference.

-Ed

Which one, the bigger hole?

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #32 of 49
Same here. No difference to me (the hole in the bass=). In fact, it actually had a negative impact to me. Went back to the bass+ (have an extra pair of bass= in case I need them).

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #33 of 49
so I enlarged the hole on the bass+ just slightly, and there is NOW a noticable difference, not just in the quantity, but how punchy it is =)

Very happy. This modified bass+ and treble++ makes me a VERY happy camper with my un-eqed fuze.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #34 of 49
I do agree that the slightly larger hole in the bass+ module creates a difference, but not the hole in the bass= module. The latter just sounded bad to me. But the bass+ mod, fantastic.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree that the slightly larger hole in the bass+ module creates a difference, but not the hole in the bass+ module. The latter just sounded bad to me. But the bass+ mod, fantastic.

Just making sure I read it right...

The Original hole in the bass + module you felt didn't make a difference (like my self)

but a slightly larger (or enlarged) bass+ hole makes a difference (making a modified bass+ port) correct?

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which tips are comfortable for you in the Sleek line???

I'm using the stock medium biflanges (I can never seem to warm up to foamies). I've always regarded the stock silicones as quite comfortable, but on a multi-hour bus trip last week, they wound up irritating my ear canals enough over the course of the ride for me to stop using them...so I guess their degree of comfort is duration-dependent for me.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just making sure I read it right...

The Original hole in the bass + module you felt didn't make a difference (like my self)

but a slightly larger (or enlarged) bass+ hole makes a difference (making a modified bass+ port) correct?

Mistake typing. I meant a hole in the bass= module (I amended my post). That mod sounded lousy to me, but maybe I made it TOO big.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cimg3975kr1.jpg

Some of my recent bass port mods. Materials used include plastic, fibreglass and wood with adjustments to tube lengths, diameter and extended chamber shaping being used to slightly alter acoustic qualities.

46381262kj0.png

The ports with the red and blue ends are the most recent version shown with a couple of earlier designs.

toolson5.jpg

Tools (Sandpaper, razorblade, battery powered engraver and various tips for shaping.) and some of the materials used.

Does extending the bass port increase the amount of bass? In short no or at least not that I can pick up on. What it does seem to do is slightly alter the sonic characteristics of the Sleeks. I have blind tested the current build with a second person swapping out the modded ports with the stock bass= and bass+ ports and was able to pick the modded ports in all cases.

Most noticeable is increased clarity across the board, with the Sleeks sounding slightly more open and airy. Whilst bass does not appear noticeably increased it is slightly sharper and more defined particularly noticeable with acoustic (Kaki King, Paul Simon, Flamenco/Spanish Guitar etc) and electronic music (Jean Michel Jarre, Robert Miles, Tangerine Dream, Enigma etc) . Bass also seems to reach deeper with lower bass being more resonant and felt. Effects like reverb and echo are more prominent.

I have also made a couple of wooden treble tubes but have found that even slight adjustments to the tubes such as increasing hole diameter can easily degrade sound quality quite noticeably so I have left them alone favouring the stock treble+.

Dang.. this is hard-core stuff.. great job tada1!

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

I do agree that the slightly larger hole in the bass+ module creates a difference, but not the hole in the bass= module. The latter just sounded bad to me. But the bass+ mod, fantastic.

The Bass> mod will be great if you want slightly more kick than the Bass= port but you don't like Bass+ port. It was not intended to have more bass or better than Bass+ port. I have described this on my previous post and on my SA6 mod thread, just hiope that no one will confuse over this issue.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By opening a small hole on the back of the Bass= port, you now have a Bass≥ port. As the name suggested, the overall Bass≥ port's signature will still resemble that of Bass=, but with slightly stronger bass impact. Best for those who want Bass= with a bit more kick, but not to the point of Bass+ port.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I strongly recommend those who like the Bass= port to do the Bass≥ mod mentioned above if you have extra set of Bass= port. It really combine the best part of both Bass= and Bass+.

If you like Bass+ port to begin with, the pin-hole mod should be the one to try, but not the Bass> mod.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #40 of 49
another mod to try is the shure black olive fomies, if not only to have them hold more secure inside the case =) but they are way more comfy than the stock bi-flanges.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Not sure if just changing tips is a mod, but many have been using the olives with the Sleeks. Great match.

I did not notice any sound quality difference, but the level of comfort went up *a lot*

But the stock biflanges are the most comfortable silicone tips I've ever used =)

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cimg3975kr1.jpg

Some of my recent bass port mods. Materials used include plastic, fibreglass and wood with adjustments to tube lengths, diameter and extended chamber shaping being used to slightly alter acoustic qualities.

46381262kj0.png

The ports with the red and blue ends are the most recent version shown with a couple of earlier designs.

toolson5.jpg

Tools (Sandpaper, razorblade, battery powered engraver and various tips for shaping.) and some of the materials used.

Does extending the bass port increase the amount of bass? In short no or at least not that I can pick up on. What it does seem to do is slightly alter the sonic characteristics of the Sleeks. I have blind tested the current build with a second person swapping out the modded ports with the stock bass= and bass+ ports and was able to pick the modded ports in all cases.

Most noticeable is increased clarity across the board, with the Sleeks sounding slightly more open and airy. Whilst bass does not appear noticeably increased it is slightly sharper and more defined particularly noticeable with acoustic (Kaki King, Paul Simon, Flamenco/Spanish Guitar etc) and electronic music (Jean Michel Jarre, Robert Miles, Tangerine Dream, Enigma etc) . Bass also seems to reach deeper with lower bass being more resonant and felt. Effects like reverb and echo are more prominent.

I have also made a couple of wooden treble tubes but have found that even slight adjustments to the tubes such as increasing hole diameter can easily degrade sound quality quite noticeably so I have left them alone favouring the stock treble+.

Awesome mods tadad1. Would you care to share what kind of wood you used for the bass port mods? Are they a hard wood? or softer like balsa or cork?

I should be getting my pair of SA6's tomorrow, and wouldn't mind trying my hands at copying some of your mods.

Much appreciated.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #44 of 49
I have one involving the seals. I had been using Klipsch gels with great comfort and success. Since having an issue with the UM2 using the gels where at least the mids were being constricted but most likely the whole sound spectrum was being a bit constricted as due to the very small orifice, much smaller than the OEM designed orifice, it dawned on me I might be having the same issue with the SA6 using the gels.

I found the cores of a couple Comply T100s I removed some while ago for a different project and squeezed them onto the nozzles of the SA6 and then squeezed a couple medium Zen Aurvana sleeves on...I'm sure a regular sized silicone sleeve would fit as well but I like Aurvana sleeves because of the rubber chemistry. The orifice is huge and there is no constriction whatsoever.

I'm currently evaluating the SA6 with these new sleeves and won't have anything to post till I've determined the worth of using these sleeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back