SA6 Mods
Aug 9, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cimg3975kr1.jpg

Some of my recent bass port mods. Materials used include plastic, fibreglass and wood with adjustments to tube lengths, diameter and extended chamber shaping being used to slightly alter acoustic qualities.

46381262kj0.png

The ports with the red and blue ends are the most recent version shown with a couple of earlier designs.

toolson5.jpg

Tools (Sandpaper, razorblade, battery powered engraver and various tips for shaping.) and some of the materials used.

Does extending the bass port increase the amount of bass? In short no or at least not that I can pick up on. What it does seem to do is slightly alter the sonic characteristics of the Sleeks. I have blind tested the current build with a second person swapping out the modded ports with the stock bass= and bass+ ports and was able to pick the modded ports in all cases.

Most noticeable is increased clarity across the board, with the Sleeks sounding slightly more open and airy. Whilst bass does not appear noticeably increased it is slightly sharper and more defined particularly noticeable with acoustic (Kaki King, Paul Simon, Flamenco/Spanish Guitar etc) and electronic music (Jean Michel Jarre, Robert Miles, Tangerine Dream, Enigma etc) . Bass also seems to reach deeper with lower bass being more resonant and felt. Effects like reverb and echo are more prominent.

I have also made a couple of wooden treble tubes but have found that even slight adjustments to the tubes such as increasing hole diameter can easily degrade sound quality quite noticeably so I have left them alone favouring the stock treble+.

SWEET MERCY... Sleek should put you on product development
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, by the way...which tips are these?

Thanks

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 49
Tadad1, man, thats some serious experimentation you done there! You must of put some serious hours into producing those tips! Was it just interest or what motivated you to do all that off your own bat?

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SWEET MERCY... Sleek should put you on product development
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Those are the Shure Black olives. I was using them too since they block out much more noise. But I feel the sound stage shrinks with them, and a little less bass. They are excellent for isolation and comfort though.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the Shure Black olives

I don't think those are olive. Most likely eartips from q-Jays.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the Shure Black olives. I was using them too since they block out much more noise. But I feel the sound stage shrinks with them, and a little less bass. They are excellent for isolation and comfort though.

Actually they are silicon tips from my q-Jays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tadad1, man, thats some serious experimentation you done there! You must of put some serious hours into producing those tips! Was it just interest or what motivated you to do all that off your own bat?

Originally I was just curious as to what effect an extended bass port would have and my first set were just knocked together with plastic tubing and insulation tape. As crude as they were I was surprised at the increased clarity and detail they added. From there I just started to refine them trying different configurations and materials with wood being the nicest medium to work with for shaping and finishing.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 49
Ah, interesting. Sort of sparked from your initial efforts. Interesting. I don't think I'm in a postion to be doing what you've done, for a number of reasons including limited experience at craftsmanship, but I have massive admiration for such experimentation and exploration. Kudos mate!

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #22 of 49
Interested in making an extra set of your favorite bass port mods? Could be a side business. That clarity (more open and airy) has my attention. PM me if you are interested in making a custom set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cimg3975kr1.jpg

Some of my recent bass port mods. Materials used include plastic, fibreglass and wood with adjustments to tube lengths, diameter and extended chamber shaping being used to slightly alter acoustic qualities.

46381262kj0.png

The ports with the red and blue ends are the most recent version shown with a couple of earlier designs.

toolson5.jpg

Tools (Sandpaper, razorblade, battery powered engraver and various tips for shaping.) and some of the materials used.

Does extending the bass port increase the amount of bass? In short no or at least not that I can pick up on. What it does seem to do is slightly alter the sonic characteristics of the Sleeks. I have blind tested the current build with a second person swapping out the modded ports with the stock bass= and bass+ ports and was able to pick the modded ports in all cases.

Most noticeable is increased clarity across the board, with the Sleeks sounding slightly more open and airy. Whilst bass does not appear noticeably increased it is slightly sharper and more defined particularly noticeable with acoustic (Kaki King, Paul Simon, Flamenco/Spanish Guitar etc) and electronic music (Jean Michel Jarre, Robert Miles, Tangerine Dream, Enigma etc) . Bass also seems to reach deeper with lower bass being more resonant and felt. Effects like reverb and echo are more prominent.

I have also made a couple of wooden treble tubes but have found that even slight adjustments to the tubes such as increasing hole diameter can easily degrade sound quality quite noticeably so I have left them alone favouring the stock treble+.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interested in making an extra set of your favorite bass port mods? Could be a side business. That clarity (more open and airy) has my attention. PM me if you are interested in making a custom set.

Soz, just to make sure I understand you properly, are you offering to make some of your custom wooden ports on demand for members here for a small fee? If so, I might be interested, but shipping would be expensive for one. Got enough to work with and digest and sample at the minute that I'm not really ready to have another option and alternative to add to the mix just yet, also. If thats what you're offering though I may be interested in a few weeks, a month maybe.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soz, just to make sure I understand you properly, are you offering to make some of your custom wooden ports on demand for members here for a small fee? If so, I might be interested, but shipping would be expensive for one. Got enough to work with and digest and sample at the minute that I'm not really ready to have another option and alternative to add to the mix just yet, also. If thats what you're offering though I may be interested in a few weeks, a month maybe.

tadad1 was not making any offers (just tantalizing us with the mastery of his craft
biggrin.gif
)...but if he ever does, consider me interested as well.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tadad1 was not making any offers (just tantalizing us with the mastery of his craft
biggrin.gif
)...but if he ever does, consider me interested as well.

Haha, right...thats one ultra dry sense of humour
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 49
I use with mine the Klipsch silicon tips and is a killer combination for comfort, and also that let me go deeper and closer to the eardrum...

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #27 of 49
I posted this over in the thread that gave me the idea in the first place, but I figured I'd post it here as well.

This must be among the most butt simple mods in the history of the universe, but it was that final tweak to make my SA6 absolutely perfect in my book:

^ A Comply tip chopped in half with the core still inside (a UE foamie works with the core removed) and the foam ring put on the treble tube before the biflange tip.

With just that little bit of support, my problematic right ear canal (exactly in between the medium and large size SA6 biflange and UE silicone tips), now fits completely perfectly.

Before, I kept vascillating between large and medium sized tips. Large provided a pretty good seal in both ears but was a bit large for my left (stuffed feeling) and once my ears got good and greasy later on in the day could force itself outward and destroy the seal, mainly on the left side. That they were seated so far out in my ear also killed some of the low and high end detail. Medium, on the other hand, fit the left perfectly but was just there for the right ear. Since the left always felt nice and snug and the right just barely in there, it always felt physically imbalanced. Similar to the large, once my ears got good and greasy later in the day, the seal in the right tended to break with activity so I'd be re-adjusting it often. So I'd wear large for a few days until I'd gotten tired of the stuffed feeling and the somewhat lessened highs/lows and switch to mediums, then I'd get fed up after a while of re-adjusting the right ear and the cycle would repeat. To find such a simple (and cheap - wish I'd kept more of my used foamies around
tongue.gif
) solution is great.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use with mine the Klipsch silicon tips and is a killer combination for comfort, and also that let me go deeper and closer to the eardrum...

This is the reason I can't wait for Klipsch to start selling their Ear Gels separately.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the reason I can't wait for Klipsch to start selling their Ear Gels separately.

Which tips are comfortable for you in the Sleek line???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back