Sa5k, GS1000 and DX1000
Apr 3, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben9999imsc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For SQ, which one is better for classical music?

Doesn't that depend on which kind of classical you are considering:

* Baroque quartets
* Wagnerian opera
* Red Army Choir
* Cantatas
* Pipe organ
* Lieder and arias

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 12
I love the GS-1000 for all classical. The SA5K I don't like at all and the DX1000 I have never heard. Comfort wise I have no problem with the GS-1000 after I bend the headband a bit to get a tighter fit.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 12
I have owned both the gs-1000 and the dx-1000. both are very very comfortable, #'s 1 and 2, gs-1000 being first. They are very light and after a short while you forget there is anything on your head. Of the two I also preferred the gs-1000's for classical music. I found them to be more detailed. I also found their sound quality to be more dependent on amplification then the jvc's.
You are just going to have to try them both.

good luck

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 12
The WA6 with the 5U4x rectifier has great synergy with the GS1K. It's the cheapest route I've found to do the unGrado justice (and deal with its midrange particularities).

As for the OP I'd drop the SA5K off your list and add the AD2K on SQ.

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 12
I preferred the jvc with the woo at the high impedance setting. It brought the mids/vocals a bit more forward. The vocals sounded too recessed, far away at the low impedance setting. Also, the bass was a bit boomy. The gs-1000 and the woo 6 were a great match. Very natural sounding. I sold the woo and bought a Cary slp-88. It has a higher impedance and imo, didn't match as well with the gs-1000, which is why they had to go. Also, the jvc's didn't have the recessed mid problem with the Cary. I do believe the gs-1000 work best with a lower impedance tube amp, such as the woo 6. I had a metal base gz34 and rca 6de7's in the woo. The corda prehead mkII is a great match for the jvc's, very tight bass, and great detail. Mr. Kees turned me on to that one.

just my opinions.
Mike

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 12
The DX1000 also has great synergy with Headrooms Desktop line of amps especially the Max variant. I have the JVCs and find them better than the GS1000 that I heard at a shop before I chose the former. The midrange, I found on the Gs1000 to be a little recessed so I chose otherwise. Comfort wise the DX1000 win hands down for me as I could only keep the GS1000 on my head for 20 mins. I have found that the JVCs are very finical when it comes to Amps. Any amp will do although get it right and the difference is massive. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back