SA5000 vs. K701 vs. others
Nov 23, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for my next pair of home listening cans, and I'm trying to decide what is the best for detail. I've looked around and narrowed it down to the DT880, SR-001, K701, or the SA5000. Nevertheless, I will soon be getting my first tube amp, (Bravo Audio, see it here ) so hopefully power-hungry cans will be driven correctly. I have heard all of these with the exception of the SR-001 on a very short basis, though I don't remember what they sounded like, I remember liking all of them. Essentially what I'm looking for is obviously detail, but also very textured detail... Although this is difficult for me to describe, in some tracks I can kind of "feel" the sound. Ideally, the sound should be transparent and fast--The highs should be brilliant and shiny (maybe even a little bit crunchy) without sibilance, the mids should be very smooth and liquid-like if not forward, and the bass should be at least punchy if not impactful; all registers should be detailed, as stated. I'm also looking for a wide-ish soundstage, even as I am kind of a Grado addict, I want to diversify my opinions
biggrin.gif
. I listen a lot of stuff, mostly jazz (especially Latin), classic/light rock, classical, Spanish guitar, some metal, and electronic music as well; a good portion of it is lossless.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 39
I can compare DT880 vs sa5000:

sony's are better in:
speed, instrument separation, detail, sibilance (negligible), controlled treble, bass extension and clarity

DT880:
bass quantity, comfy, pleasant mids (less agressive)

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 39
Only having heard the 701 and SA5000, between the two, your description of the "sound" your looking for leads me to suggest the Sony cans over that of the AKG.

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 39
Well, about a year ago I had this dilemma as well, and I chose the DT880/600 over the SA5000. The SA5000 does have more detail but however it is colder sounding and less musical. The DT880/600 probably has more accurate timbre as well, which is key for your listening tastes, at least going by this impression. The genral impression is that the SA5000 is better for electronic music whilst the DT880 is better for classical based genres.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ps1000-454208/

- Classically trained audiophile's impression of the DT880/600 + tested in your genres.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, about a year ago I had this dilemma as well, and I chose the DT880/600 over the SA5000. The SA5000 does have more detail but however it is colder sounding and less musical. The DT880/600 probably has more accurate timbre as well, which is key for your listening tastes, at least going by this impression. The genral impression is that the SA5000 is better for electronic music whilst the DT880 is better for classical based genres.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ps1000-454208/

- Classically trained audiophile's impression of the DT880/600 + tested in your genres.

What exactly do you mean by "accurate timbre"? When you say the SA5000 is better for electronic music, in what ways do you mean?

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 39
I was in your boat several months ago and was looking for the most detailed phone available at a decent price range for electronic music. Based on the reading of THOUSANDS of posts here at head-fi, I first purchased the DT880. Ultimately I was underwhelmed at its speed and detail when paired with the LDMKIII, but when I paired it with solid state it rose to a whole other level of clarity.

Still feeling like I might be missing a smidgeon of detail, I decided to buy the SA5000 based on hours upon hours of research. You can find other posts of mine that contrast the differences, but ultimately the SA5000 has a dry midrange / bass combined with several treble spikes (compared to the DT880) that give it the illusion of being more detailed as the upper mids / treble come through clearer, and the warmth is completely missing.

I own both headphones and I think that the SA5000 is overrated in its level of detail relative to the DT880. They're both highly detailed (when paired with solid state), and hence I decided to keep both for slightly different occasions. If a recording is warm or fuzzy in any way, I'll switch to the SA5000 to thin things out a bit, but otherwise I still reach for the more balanced DT880 90% of the time. (250ohm).

For example, the string instruments on Bjork Homogenic tend to fuzz out the details on the DT880, but the SA5000 has a "coloured" way of attenuating the mids and any sense of warmth so that the other layers can poke their way through. As for speed, both cans are freaking fast. While I don't always agree with the graphs on the headroom website, they seem pretty reasonable as far as how I hear things with those 2 headphones.

I shyed away from the K701 with cautions of lighter bass which is a no-no for electronic.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 39
Accurate timbre means its ability to reproduce sound very close to its real life counterpart.

The general gist of that review, is that the dt880 is the most accurate headphone for that reviewers type of music vs actual instrument experience.

Electronic music doesnt require the accurate timbre of musical instruments because all of the sounds are synthed to begin with, so the increased speed that the sa5000 as well as arguably the detail would put the sa5000 above the dt880 for that particular type of music.

In my own personal experience I love the dt880, driven properly, it has bass and mid bass that is full of body, smooth mids, and extends reasonably in the high. Detail is good, but not as resolving as say for example my ms-pro.

I haven't tested the sa5000 yet, but my reading has me believing that is may be sonically similar to the audio technica series. It may or may not be, so take the next passage to be about the audio technica ad series with perhaps some relevance to the sony.

I have owned the Ad900 as well as exstensively demoed the ad1000 and ad2000. I won't go into the specifics of each one, but this phone family has its sonic signature tuned to the upper end of the sound frequency, with a very light bottom end. Many people say that the sound is very "airy," whilst I agree I would add that the sound is also very hollow. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I quite enjoyed it, I found it good for music that was predominately female vocal, as it added a very nice "haunting" feel.

I know you already own a couple of pairs of grado, however, maybe entertain the notion of possibly checking out the alessandro ms-pro. Of my headphone experience I'd say these are the most versatile, and their ability to resolve guitar is amazing, which is important for most of your musical genre's. I find that they are slightly aggressive in their sound, but not overly so (definately much more than the dt880, the audio technica's and the k701.) Whilst for myself this does translate into some harshness and fatigue over time, it also provides alot of "energy." However I still find that they sound appropriate at all times, ei, the energy does not affect quiet passages.

Next we come to the k701, I've only had the opportunity to a/b these against the dt880. They were amped, though amplification may not have been the best. If it sounds like I'm making excuses for the k701 I am. They have a wonderful soundstage and reproduce sound in a very flat detailed manner. They sound good, but not great, whilst they did resolve better than the dt880, when a/bing them one thing becomes very apparent, the bass. If it were not for this one let down, I would put the k701 above the dt880 purely because of the extra detail that it allows. However, the bass, even though its there, seemed completely artificial, and coming from the dt880 it was apparent that it was actually "bumped" however not even bumped to increase its volume, bass seemed like it was being forced into the mid bass region, making it sound unnatural, the lower extension just wasnt there. Also there was a distinct lack of body. Keep in mind that this wasn't say, the bass leaness of the audio technica's, but just a very tonally inaccurate and for me unenjoyable sonic characteristic. Once again, keep in mind that different amplication may have changed my mind on the matter.

The best advice I can give, is to try to find a place that has at least a few of the aforementioned models so you can do actual comparative tests. With your amp if they let you. Or if you are bugget conscious, go 2nd hand, from my trawlings of the forums, it seems like the dt880 and to a lesser extend the k701 is your best bet in terms of price and availability.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 39
I find the 880 to be boost on the bass and on the highs, smile EQ compare to the K702.
The K702 reproduce better sound resolution, and the overall more balanced.

I would be happy to read a detailed review of the SA5000 Vs K701.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 39
Alright, so I've pretty much decided to get the DT880... But a couple things first.

1. Does the year matter?
2. Does impedance matter?

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 39
If your looking for a headphone for just detail & great resolution, I'd look into the DT48a/DT48s.. They are very polarizing with a love or hate status, but can be found cheaper (with some looking) used then the SA5000/DT880/K701.. No hot, or exaggerated treble. Some argue that hot treble leads us to believe we are hearing more, but actually we are not.

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, so I've pretty much decided to get the DT880... But a couple things first.

1. Does the year matter?
2. Does impedance matter?

Yes. Try & find the orignal DT880 S.. I hear they are superior to the 03/05 models..

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the 880 to be boost on the bass and on the highs, smile EQ compare to the K702.
The K702 reproduce better sound resolution, and the overall more balanced.

I would be happy to read a detailed review of the SA5000 Vs K701.

There is one.. Forgot the persons name.. He thought the SA5000 were near perfect, then bought the 701, & sold his SA5000, cause the 701 were even better then the SA5000. You wouldn't like the SA5000 IMO.. But I preferred the SA5000 over the 701 in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back