SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Mar 31, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #121 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
One thing is sure, they are fine cans, maybe they won't be my cup of tea at the end

Thats the way I felt about the SA5000's which is why you have them now
smily_headphones1.gif
. They are definetly some of the most detailed headphones I've ever heard and I didn't find them to be too bright. The bass was ok, tight for sure but nothing to write home about and I just did not like the midrange. I think they are good headphones but they just weren't enjoyable for me.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #122 of 379
More impressions...

I'm impressed with the detail in the bass. The SA5000, at least right now (still burning in), lack the visceral impact of the HD650, RS-1/2, and, albeit to a lesser extent, the CD3000, I think the detail in the bass surpasses any of these. I still need to do more listening though.

The SA5000 have decent headstage, on par with the HD650 and RS-1, but is not even close to the CD3000. I had thought for a while that the CD3000's angled drivers were what gave it such great headstage, but after hearing the 595s (which also have angled drivers but not the great headstage) and the SA5000 (same), it must be something else.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #123 of 379
It is strange, it is becoming adictive...LOL...the bass is tight, but present, you discover it little by little, and get used ot it, the sounstage is not that bad as you stated, it is nowhere the same as the CD3000, but as I'm used ot the crossfeed (corda cross-1) this is not an issue, it is a fine set of cans definitelly the construction is what impressed me, very light but still sturdy enough for a headphone (not close to a grado one, or the R-10, but still nice)
But (and there is always a but) I got them thinking in replacing the CD3000, and hoping that Sony will offer an overall more pleasant presentation of the evnet, at least to my ears, but till now, sorry guys this does not happen, I think that I will keep attach to the old Sony school of CD3000/R-10, and this will go after a few days more....Let's see....

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #124 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
I'm ok with the SA5k and SR-71 as long as the source is very high quality. I can see why an iPod would let you down. Have you listened to the SA5k's from the SR-71 fed by your Chord separates?

Hey agile_one, I tried it briefly when I first got the SA5k - I remember thinking it was pretty darn bright, but that was before I got more accustomed to the SA5k. But I'll give it another try once I get my SR-71 back from mavis.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #125 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
More impressions...

I'm impressed with the detail in the bass. The SA5000, at least right now (still burning in), lack the visceral impact of the HD650, RS-1/2, and, albeit to a lesser extent, the CD3000, I think the detail in the bass surpasses any of these. I still need to do more listening though.

The SA5000 have decent headstage, on par with the HD650 and RS-1, but is not even close to the CD3000. I had thought for a while that the CD3000's angled drivers were what gave it such great headstage, but after hearing the 595s (which also have angled drivers but not the great headstage) and the SA5000 (same), it must be something else.

I really like what the SA5000 does in terms of presenting every instrument in its own proper and separate space. The soundstage on the CD3000 is wider, but I don't remember it being as focused as the SA5000.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #126 of 379
Just to be clear, I have adopted Zanth's headstage vs. soundstage distinction. My comments were directed at headstage, meanin the headphones ability to make the music seem as if it's coming from outside your head -- in front of you.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #127 of 379
got my sa5000 yesterday. my first impressions in opening the box was a little disappointment. I was expecting them to be as big as the cd3000, but the sa5000 look's puny in comparision. but putting them on, all that is quickly forgotten. These are fantastic. To put things simply, I find these phones to have the best qualities of the allesandro ms2 and ety 4s in one package. it has the warmth and body of the ms2, and the detail of the ety 4s, all presented in a natural soundstage. the soundstage is the biggest diffrence when compared to the cd3000. I don't know if this makes sense, but I find the soundstage of the cd3000 extends horizontally, while the sa5000 gives a more 360 degree soundstage. the instruments are in their own space and air, but not extremely separated like the cd3000. one pleasant surprise is that bad recordings are more listenable with the sa5000 than the cd3000. with the cd3000, I could not listen to bob dylan's freewheelin sacd, because the harmonica's are just shrill and piercing. not so with the sa5000, it was actually a pleasure listening to this album. another pleasant surprise is that 60's recordings with the wide stereo and vocals one side and instruments on the other (such as beatles revolver), are more listenable on the sa5000 without the use of crossfeed. these recordings were really fatiguing on the cd3000 because their soundstaging exacerbated this. anyway these impressions were after just 10 hours of listening, so take it with a grain of salt. but I think we may have a real winner here...
by the way, to those that have the cd3000 and the sa5000, does the sa5000 fit in the cd3000 case? just wondering, cause I don't have the cd3000 case on hand to find out for myself.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #128 of 379
I am glad we are seeing polarized results with the SA5000. If everyone was going gaga over it then it would have been another nominee for FOTM. Now we have balanced feedback coming out...

Shall we make a poll on the MDR-SA5000 just for kicks?

gs

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #130 of 379
I just got the headphones today. Although the packaging it came with was beyond any other headphones I have personally owned.... very nice, but perhaps not up to par with the R10 or cd3000 packaging. I took the utmost care in taking it out of the little cloth covered headphone cardboard imprint and took extreme care in adjusting the headband.

I played songs that I normally listen to... then put the headphones on.

Impressive? Sure.

It is very articulate, very accurate (although accuracy is such a relative term when "true reference" is not even known), somewhat bright... yet not overbearing, and the treble is very controlled... sibilance is regulated quite well.

However, two things bother me.

1) It is too forward for me. I just discovered today that I prefer the laid back sound of my Sennheiser HD555. I find it more musical and less analytical than the SA5000.

2) I now understand what they mean by you can't focus on much else when using the SA5000... you end up hearing soooo much that you cant process it all at once without focus. I tried to read with it on and I failed miserably... I couldnt even get through the first paragraph of my Immunology lecture (I missed class today to await the UPS delivery man
icon10.gif
). These headphones are indeed VERY analytical.

Perhaps too analytical for my ears. I prefer my Sennheisers.

I have posted the headphones on the FS section of this forum. It is an IC/FS thread... I will decide tonight whether these headphones stay or go.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #131 of 379
More impressions...

I wonder if these are suitable for the large headed. I think I have a fairly average-sized head, but I'm two or three clicks from the max setting.

These seem to present detail more naturally than the CD3000. For example, one of my favorite albums (James Laid), opens with an acoustic guitar with a good bit of fingers-along-the-guitar-string noise
smily_headphones1.gif
-- on the CD3000 it tended to seem a bit overemphasized, whereas with the SA5000 I hear it clearly, but it seems more realistic relative to the sound of the guitar.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #132 of 379
I wear it 3 clicks away on either side when I am sitting "inclined" and 2 clicks when I am sitting upright.

Guitar...particularly acoustic...is pretty amazing with these cans. Mine will be back in my hands soon...suffering from withdrawal already
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #133 of 379
Pretty small heads, eh? I need about 6 on each side to be on the safe side...LOL....I'm wondering how many will need the fellow heafier from UK....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #134 of 379
These headphones are geared towards "wide" heads, I think. They have more flexibility in the horizontal direction than the vertical.

Since I have a "thin but tall" head, I extend it all the way to max, on both sides. I could probably do with less, but I like having the headphones rest lightly on my head, than clamping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back