SA1k Freq. range
Jun 21, 2005 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Holy crap, i was just talking to P the Dster, and he mentioned recently getting some SA1k's. WOW 8hz-80khz, thats nuts are there any headphones that can even touch that for the range? How are CD3k, SA1k, SA5k as far as mid and bass go? I own 595s and im just wondering how they differ, the 80khz spanks my 595s 39khz top end so those must be some shimmering highs!!
3000smile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 20
not to mention that the human ear cannot hear frequencies that high nor low (unless you're a dog or superman or something)

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 20
Is it not true that despite you not being able to hear those frequencies, that it adds to the underlying frequencies that you can hear? If there are some 50khz segments dont those enhance the lower frequencies or add detail to the ones that you can hear?

edit: I am also superman so i can hear up to 60khz. lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 20
Somehow, I doubt that any of us can hear noise that high. That aside, music does not generally have anything recorded that high, so even if you have dog's ears you wouldn't hear anything new up top with your music.

Still, they're neat specifications so long as Sony aren't lying through their teeth. Top end extension like that is good for bragging rights and a makeshift dog whistle, if nothing else.

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
You may hear it but it would be so high or low that everything else would drown it out.

No, you really just wouldn't hear it, whether or not it was part of the signal recorded.

Low notes are another story entirely, of course, but you know that.

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
Well you would need a source that could produce frequensies that high and low as well. After a certain point you couldn't hear much.

Hehe, I like that. After a certain freuqency you couldn't here much, then keep the frequency sweep going and you would start to hear a lot, like dogs commiting suicide in the streets and bats mercilesly pounding your windows trying to find their demon master...then later on maybe a few windows shatering and ceramic pots and such splintering into thousands of pieces on shelves where they sit, just explore what those visceral effects are in the treble, I keep telling people that treble can be viceral to, I think an 80KHz sign wave cooking your liver would be an excellent example!
eek.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 20
You peoples aren't seriously aproaching this over 20 KHz thing are you. Haveing a frequency range of 80 KHz, as far as I know means next to nothing! Besides the fact that the measuring technique is not given so the claimed specifications matter next to not, anything that such a high frequency responcse would bring you would be extra noise, compound oscilation effects and all kinds of things that don't help anything. Narow your efforts to a small area and you can do things well, broaden your horizons and soon you have spread yourself too thin and are messing things up that the most pathedic of beings could do right, apply that to headphones and I think you have an answear, aproximately to what such high frequency responce numbers mean, besides the fact that you can't hear anything above ~20 KHz anyway.

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 20
To put this in perspective, any earphone/speaker has the ability to reproduce frequencies that are oh lets say 200Khz.
BUT! and this is a very big but, it is reproduced at levels that are pretty much almost below scientifically measureable limits.

So headphones saying they have a range of -100Hz to 20MHz (yes that's an exaggeration!) might only really have a workable bandwidth of about 400Hz to 3Khz.. this is where the whole dB scale comes into the equation which is used to measure the actual output level at the frequencies stated (well one of it's uses anyway)

If a set of headphones said the response was from -30Khz to 10GHz ±1dB I'd be farely interested in trying on the pair just to see how flat it really is. in reality a headphone stating it could go from -30KHz to 10GHz is likely to have limits of 0/-70000dB. But considering the average joe market doesn't exactly know/care about this, they just look at the numbers and think "holy cow! 800KHz dude these must be the most orgasmic headphones in history!" when in reality they're probably the biggest duds in history (the headphone not the person).

So in closing never look at the frequency range of a set of headphones and take them slightly seriously unless they show at what point in the dB scale the limits are
e.g. 30Hz-20KHz ±2db (this means between the range of 30hz to 20khz the output level at any frequency (given a uniform input level) will only vary by 2db from 0)..... But the only way to know how good they are is to either let the rest of the ppl here persuade you or listen to them youself.

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
not to mention that the human ear cannot hear frequencies that high nor low (unless you're a dog or superman or something)

humans can generally hear down to 20hz, some even lower.

80 hz is still pretty up there, that means its seriously lacking in bass response.

the good home theater subs can go down to 12 hz btw.

the standard ideal frequency range is 20kHz- 20Hz
ok bye.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 20
confused.gif
80 Hz, where did 80 Hz come from?
confused.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 20
I think he misread 8Hz as 80Hz. "80KHz" was right next to it, so maybe his eyes just slipped. Mine do that sometimes.

OT, but since I already put something semi-useful in this post... why the HD500, of all things?

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Holy crap, i was just talking to P the Dster, and he mentioned recently getting some SA1k's. WOW 8hz-80khz, thats nuts are there any headphones that can even touch that for the range? How are CD3k, SA1k, SA5k as far as mid and bass go? I own 595s and im just wondering how they differ, the 80khz spanks my 595s 39khz top end so those must be some shimmering highs!!
3000smile.gif

You can't hear that high or low in the frequency.

Human Audible Range is 20 hz to 20,000 hz.

Real Human Audible Range really tops out at 16,000-18,000 hz.

Frequency response is a meaningless specification in determining the quality of a headphone.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back