SA 5000s worth the price?
Oct 30, 2005 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dentomat

New Head-Fier
I auditioned these cans in a shop and was impressed by their detail, speed and lean and punchy bass. But I was very concerned with their built quality they appeared very fragile and I can imagine that they deteriorate from use really fast. (For a price of 649 Euros they should last a while.) Could some of their owners here provide me with their longtime experiences?

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 20
They are great headphones. Are they worth 649 euros ($775), Yes but.

They can be had in the US for a little under $400 (333 euros) so it may be worthwhile having them shipped. With shipping and VAT you’d still be around 400 euros.

I’d also bet that you could find them in Germany for significantly less than 649 euros.

They are great headphones. If you like fast transparent accurate sound they are among the best available.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
Order from Japan and save a bundle.

From who? Lowest prices on the street are currently JPY 45,000 ~ 47,000.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 20
Thanks for your advice! But I wanted more of a report of longtime users of these cans about their durability in everyday use. Where and how to get them cheap would be the second step...

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 20
I'm alittle bit confused by your concerns. The SA5K has a metal headband (or really really hard plastic). Its built very well. The only issue I have with the Sony cans is the mesh on top (that could rip). But, its no more fragile than any of the other headphones out there.

Trogdor

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 20
I dont think they're very robust cans, the built quality is good but they wont resist being sat on.

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 20
I've put a 1000 hours on mine through 5 months. There are no signs of wear. They still look great even though they have been shipped three times and are my main headphone.

Quality wise, they represent their price tier well.

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
I dont think they're very robust cans, the built quality is good but they wont resist being sat on.

Not too many headphones resist being sat upon.
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 20
I've been using the SA5K's continuously since early April, both at the computer and around the house, have transported them cross-country a few times, and to a few meets, and they have yet to show the slightest signs of wear. I think if you like the sound, they are absolutely worth it, at least for the price they can be had for in the U.S. Just make sure you local delivery service doesn't drive a forklift over them
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 20
They look and feel fairly fragile; the look is deceptive. Magnesium feels like plastic. I’ve been a happy owner since May. I believe that I have dropped them once (4 feet), and they are none the worse for the wear. For home cans they are reasonably rugged.

I would hesitate to use them as portable phones. Taking them in and out of a bag hundreds of times, crunching them in said bag would all probably take its toll.

I would rate them as fairly rugged Home Cans.

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
They are great headphones. Are they worth 649 euros ($775), Yes but.

They can be had in the US for a little under $400 (333 euros) so it may be worthwhile having them shipped. With shipping and VAT you’d still be around 400 euros.

I’d also bet that you could find them in Germany for significantly less than 649 euros.

They are great headphones. If you like fast transparent accurate sound they are among the best available.

I am doing this for another member right now, the total came to like $438, that is getting them there pluss paypal fees pluss $20 trouble.

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 20
amazon.de - 499 euro - free shipping

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh
amazon.de - 499 euro - free shipping

Whew! Way too much to spend on them. See the above posts about getting them shipped to you from a US retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back