SA-5000 up's n down's
Jun 20, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #31 of 35
I don't feel the SA5000 has weak bass, I haven't heard it unamped but I have heard it out of the DAC1, an SR-71, Zemo's lambda, and an M^3 and it didn't have weak bass on any of these.

If I had the money I would have an SA5000 and an HD650, I really like both.

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #32 of 35
Funny how different people will hear and interpret the same headphone. I like the SA5K a lot, but as one of a quartet of cans I keep within reach. I've never found the single headphone that does it all for me, and I switch around as my mood and music dictate.

That said, there are some qualities I particularly enjoy in the SA5K:

It's a bright, forward sound with a glittering upper register and great presence. The bass is both emphatic and contained. It doesn't contaminate the midrange with any creeping warmth, but it can be startling in its impact. As others have said, the presentation of detail can border on the microscopic at times, a quality magnified by the crispness of the sound. One can hear the edges of the notes. The soundstage is not large, but instrument placement and separation are exceptional. I notice this particularly in chamber music. I'm always conscious that this is a fast headphone, and this is reinforced by the separation of the notes that's part of the crispness I mentioned.

On the downside, the glitter and brilliance of the upper register can turn hard with some program material, not unpleasantly so, but audibly. The dominent highs and emphatic bass can overshadow the midrange. And that bass, while highly capable, is of short duration. There's very little decay to the sound, which can give it and on/off quality some find objectionable. Overall, the SA5K is probably the coldest sounding headphone I own. Even the K501s seem mellow in comparison. I would also describe the SA5K as sensitive to the source and amp. My PPA reinforces their coldness, brilliance, and speed in a way that's to my taste. Some might find it extreme.

On the question of neutrality, I don't think I'd describe them so. Someone (GS?) characterized the sound of the SA5K as "photo-realistic," and I would agree with that. Their floodlit clarity exaggerates as it illuminates. I think (and the Sale/Trade forum bears me out) that the Sonys are a polarizing headphone. Those of us who appreciate their qualities, like them extravagantly, and people who don't will find them anathema. No one seems neutral on the subject.

All this is IMO, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #33 of 35
Bill - you said that the highs can turn hard with some program material and that the hardness is not unpleasent but audible. Do you find the hardness distracting when listening to music that has a hardened high range? Is it distracting enough to get you focusing on the hardness every other bar or is it a flaw that relatively fades away as you enjoy the rest of the excellence that is the SA5000?

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 35
Both the SA5K and K501s have a bright, detailed upper register that can turn hard with some recordings. I hear it in piano in particular. Probably what I'm experiencing is related to the crispness both headphones feature. The sound can take on an almost chiseled quality. To answer your question, I don't find it intrusive or objectionable. It's simply a tonal quality of the headphone in my system, not a distraction at all.

[Edit] And let me re-emphasize that I said "some program material." I didn't mean to suggest that the Sony's suffer from a hard sound as a rule. They don't at all.

Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to convey.

Regards,

BW

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #35 of 35
Thank you, that is what I was wondering.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back