SA-5000 up's n down's
Jun 19, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 35
Not trying to be a fanboy, but I really like these headphones. Compared to my HD-497s the sound is much clearer and I am able to resolve details that I was missing before. Prior to burn-in the highs were a little sharp but have evened out. The bass is fast, highly detailed and complete but does not have the slam of a Grado.

Perhaps the best way of explaining it is that when I am listening to music through them, the cans seem to dissapear and I am left alone with the music. Highly reccomended.

Build quality is good, not great... there are some weak points at the interconect between the drivers and the headband and some may not like the feel of the trampoline headband.

Jun 19, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fennario
Not trying to be a fanboy, but I really like these headphones.

Ain't nothing wrong with dat. I dig these cans as well.

The design is of the typical modern engineered Sony atheistic, and the sound matches as well. Sa5k's are not for Sunday brunch with moms; more like late nights at the club. It is a dynamic, analytical can that blesses one with all the beautiful and nasty in life.

The build quality is so so IMO. A few creaks and wobbles are inherited from the CD3K, but the comfort is superior to its predecessor.

On the whole, this can is a must for Electronic, heavily produced music. IME with more intimate, organic affairs, somewhere the magic is lost. Deep in the timbre, where resonance rests, that certain something is off.

But no can is perfect, and the fast, airy, balanced presentation of the SA5 is the closest I have come to my sound yet.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 35
I spent last night listening to Dave Mathew's "Live at Red Rocks" throught them and I was absolutely blown away. I spent 2hrs in a quivering jelly-like state and have just begun the recovery.

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 35
I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser sound which is a little darker. I find the SA-5000 to be a tad bright and think it can get fatiguing after awhile. I also think there is a sharp resonance/peak in the upper bass. They have an absolutely stunning midrange though. I do like them a lot on certain types of music, but overall (no surprise here) I like my 650s more. But this is why were fortunate to have so many headphone choices.

Jun 19, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fennario
Not trying to be a fanboy, but I really like these headphones. Compared to my HD-497s the sound is much clearer and I am able to resolve details that I was missing before. Prior to burn-in the highs were a little sharp but have evened out. The bass is fast, highly detailed and complete but does not have the slam of a Grado.

Perhaps the best way of explaining it is that when I am listening to music through them, the cans seem to dissapear and I am left alone with the music. Highly reccomended.

Build quality is good, not great... there are some weak points at the interconect between the drivers and the headband and some may not like the feel of the trampoline headband.

Sony MDR-SA5000 & Sennheiser HD497 are on your banana hanger line up heh? A man who likes his headphones stylish as well as functinal I presume?
icon10.gif

I am wondering about the details of the SA5000. You mentioned them briefly, do you have any more thoughts on them? I read a review of them by Iron Dreamer I belive it was at HeadphoneReviews.org saying that they were some of the best if not the best treble range cans in the world? Does this pronouncement of treble frequency proficiency & quality match your expereinces?

Jun 19, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 35
The SA5ks are no doubt first-class phones, but they choose their owner.

Strengths:

Detail - These cans are simply unmatched at its price level in terms of the pure ability to produce globs of detail out of any source, amp, or recording.

Clarity - In addition to detail, these cans are very fast and resolving in the sense that one can, without effort, pick out each and every detail of the recording. A contrasting can in this sense is the HD650s, which has detail close to the level of the SA5k but much less clarity.

Weaknesses:

Neutrality - Here, the SA5k clearly has faults. First of all, It's definitely not balanced in terms of the frequencies, being a "bright" can. The extension is good, but the balance is not. Secondly, the SA5k has peaks in the frequency range. Obvious ones. To some it might not be a problem, but to some, it may make the SA5k totally unlistenable.

Traits (neither good nor bad, depends on listener's preference):

Spaciousness - These cans have a spacious sound signature. This is different from soundstage - it's not the case that the instruments themselves seem to be located further away; it's more that the sound itself travels further away from you into the distance. It's kind of hard to explain. Basically, it makes everything sound "open."

You'll enjoy the SA5k if:

1) You like a fast, highly resolving sound.
2) You lean towards a brighter sound signature.

You won't like the SA5k if:

1) You like a "smooth," balanced sound.
2) You don't like reverb.

Jun 19, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 35
Had the SA5000 but didnt find that it was worth the $400 I spent. The sound was airy and the instruments had space in-between. However, the whole balance of sound was not the best. At louder volumes, the whole thing fell apart and only the highs could be heard - piercing. Also, the bass was very lean, a little too lean for my tastes. I felt that the engineers tipped up the higher frequencies and tipped down the bass extension to make it seem like the phones were faster and lighter along the notes.

The detail was all there - however, what good is detail if they dont sound real? You hear the piano, but you dont get to truly listen to it when on the SA5000 - IMO.

On the plus side, the SA5k was VERY VERY VERY comfortable. There is nothing like picking up a "cold (temp wise)" headphone (due to the metal materials) and putting in your head while the leather ear pads circum-caresses your ears. It is SO comfy!!

YMMV.

Jun 19, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 35
For vocals, the SA5k is the best phone I've heard under $1k, bar none, because it exhibits an enhanced treble range (certainly not a bad thing). IMHO it makes RS-1's and even 321i's sound veiled in comparison. There's just something magical about the way vocals are presented that makes the SA5k's my first pick most of the times. It has amazing clarity and its imaging is superb. IMO, detail is great at low listening levels but diminish at normal listening levels when the midrange dominates and micro-details disappear. Comfort is A+

The sa5k is very fast and neutral sounding so it isn't as musical as the 650's to my ears. I like this neutality and speed, however. Bass is nicely controlled and never bloated, but its bass slam is nowhere in the same league as the higher end Grados. Despite being made of a magnesium alloy FWIW, the frame looks rather fragile to me. Could it be that it looks like it is made out of fragile aluminum? Among the cans I've heard, I'd say that the SA5k ranks at the very top for requiring a good source (I wonder how the K1000's fare?). Nonetheless, the SA5k's are excellent, first rate headphones!

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 35
I'd agree with the so-so build quality comments. It's not built like a tank, but it's well designed. I just don't think it could take the beating that other comparable cans could (Beyer 880, Senn 650).

I also don't think the SA5000 is bright. I think the treble is extended, but I found it less bright than the 325i or CD3000. Some people think the 880 is bright and I suppose they would feel similar about the SA5000.

The sound of the SA5000 is incredibly tight. The bass has tremendous impact and is very articulate -- and it comes and goes in an instant. The SA5000 retain Sony's colder sound as compared to the Sennheisers or Grados RS series.

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 35
I thought the SA5000s sounded hollowed out like a movie theatre when I had them. They're cool with the sound effects, but there's not enough weight to back up the mids. I sold my pair because I found them cold and uninvolving for music. I have to admit that DVD's and psytrance sounded cool, though. I also found the bass more detailed and controlled than the CD3000's I owned previously ( I agree with acs236).

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 35
Im going to be using mine out of the Benchmark DAC-1. I have heard some say they are "bright" with the benchmark and others say they sound fantastic. I like a very detailed lively sound and hope they suit me.

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 35
acs236 said:
it comes and goes in an instant.QUOTE]

Do you think this is why many on the board have said that it lacks bass frequency body, because it is so swift in its impact & retreat that they think it is weak? It sounds to me like their perspective of bass may be significantly diffirent from what the MDR-SA5000 presents.

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 35
PTheD said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
it comes and goes in an instant.QUOTE]

Do you think this is why many on the board have said that it lacks bass frequency body, because it is so swift in its impact & retreat that they think it is weak? It sounds to me like their perspective of bass may be significantly diffirent from what the MDR-SA5000 presents.

In a way, yes. I find the bass of the SA5000 to have great impact and detail, but in some ways it might be too fast and too tight. In contrast, the RS-1s bass seems perhaps a bit more natural. But I seem to go back and forth in my preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back