S639F too muddy sounding - looking for much more detail and a flatter response
Aug 26, 2009 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
It's all in the title. I was thinking maybe a Sansa Fuze. I want something with a noticeably much quicker, flatter, and more detailed sound than my S639F. Compared to my Aiwa PCDP, the S639F is rather disappointing. I'm looking for something that can match or better the SQ of the Aiwa. I also fancy a 3-dimensional soundstage - I can't stand claustrophobic-sounding players (*cough*D2*cough*). Any suggestions?

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 18
Sony X1000 series

Art

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 18
I own the sony a726 & a 2gb sansa clip.Considering ur sony s 6xx sounds same as my a726 & the fuze sounds similar to the clip , here are my observations:
1) The sony pips clip for detail & this factor is most noticeable.
2) The sony sounds somewhat like a filtered sound & hence loses to the clip in terms of transparency
3)The clip dosent sound as big as the sony , thats bcoz the clip has a way more neutral response to the entire freq. band. Now that does make it sound a little less musical
4)The sony is warmer than the clip, but....still the clip has really good treble although a bit grainy(only in comparison)
5)Clip has about 10% more volume than the sony & hence the clip is more gentle with demanding hp's while the sony loses out the grunt too early & feels strained.
6)Finally i prefer clip over sony for anything other than trance bcos the sony is like a bass canon.Although clip has a tight low end ;the sony has more depth & thickness.
Any other queries?

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 18
I understand your takes on S639 and Sansa. You also mentioned you don't like Cowon D2. It sounds like you should change your headphones - maybe too warm?? Ipod Classic, 2nd Gen maybe a match for you.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 18
HiFiMan, Cowon S9(BBE VIVA), Sony X1000, Iriver Clix 2, ipod touch...........

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 18
My IEMs (Phonak PFE) are perfect for me - that's the reason I can hear the huge differences between my sources so easily.

And what does "pip" mean? Does that mean the Sony is more detailed than the Clip?

Would the AMP3 be a good choice? But then I'd have to deal with background hiss and not enough memory to hold a lot of WAV files (hopefully this is solved in the future by adding FLAC support). Or maybe I should wait for the Master?

By the way, HiFiMan is too expensive, and I'd also rather get a good average-sized player before I save up for something so big (and yet so awesome).

I know I sound really picky, but I think I've accidentally trained my ears to the point where tiny shortcomings annoy me.

PS - I can't stand iPods.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 18
'PIP' here is a superlative degree & the statement implies that the sony digs out details way more easily than the clip. THe clip is detailed it's only that the layers of music are more prominently heard with the sony.
But the problem with sony is its warmth , at least for me.I m used to the old discman type of sound & it took me over a month to appreciate the a726, still i would prefer the clip for it's really good insight & transparency.
& mind u any of the sansa's wont sound any smooth as the sony;if thats ur preference.
BTW i m using my portables with modded sony ex85

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 18
& YESSS!!!! the clip is really fast compared against the slightly lazy delivery of the sony & that is the main reason why i prefer the clip.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 18
I have the sansa fuze, which I just bought about a week ago. My last player was the meizu m6, which decided to suddenly disappear, hence me getting the fuze. SQ wise I was disappointed with the fuze. From what I remember of my meizu, it had a much fuller sound and deeper bass, with superior equalizers. I use the re0's straight out of the fuze, so it could be that the fuze just cant drive the re0's well.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 18
I own the Clip (V2) and the Sony X1061. To my ears, the Clip has considerably less detail. The Clip also is a teeny bit warmer. The X sounds more detailed and natural to my ears. This is with all sound enchancements turned off for both players. Up until the X, the Clip was the best sounding DAP I've owned. And believe me, I've had my share. (Sony HD5, Iriver IFP-895, Zune, Samsung YP-K3, etc)

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 18
I understand what you mean about the S639. The sound has an immediate wow factor but can become a bit annoying as it is a bit 'boomy' at times, which can create the muddy sound I think you are referring to.
I know you don't think much of the D2, me neither, but you might want to check out the S9. It is quite different to the D2 to my ears. To me it is the best compramise between an uncoloured and a musical sound.
The stock UI is pretty grim though. That can all be rectified by a custom UI luckily.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 18
I will wait till Zune HD and iPods shows up because it's sound interesting to me about Zune HD soundquality it's richer and fuller than previous Zune models. So for now X and S9 are the rich detailed sounding DAPs available with out of the head soundstage.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My IEMs (Phonak PFE) are perfect for me - that's the reason I can hear the huge differences between my sources so easily.

And what does "pip" mean? Does that mean the Sony is more detailed than the Clip?

Would the AMP3 be a good choice? But then I'd have to deal with background hiss and not enough memory to hold a lot of WAV files (hopefully this is solved in the future by adding FLAC support). Or maybe I should wait for the Master?

By the way, HiFiMan is too expensive, and I'd also rather get a good average-sized player before I save up for something so big (and yet so awesome).

I know I sound really picky, but I think I've accidentally trained my ears to the point where tiny shortcomings annoy me.

PS - I can't stand iPods.

The new version of AMP3 pro2 will have no hiss and can be compatible with FLAC, Craig of Whiplash audio( the headfier sponser) have announced the news. today is the last day for the discount price.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 18
Have you tried setting VPT-Surround-Matrix? It changes to leaner-cooler sound, but drier, too.

Edit, I turned DSEE on, it cleaned up the sound. I always use flat before, however Sony did a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back