S.M.S.L M2 DAC First Impressions
Nov 10, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #61 of 154
well your not going to hear alot of difference between dacs anyways, i bet you would not be able to tell the diffrence between an iphone 5 and an odac.

just my 2 cents

as I stated in the post. I wasn't comparing the DACs.

as for if I can hear the difference between DACs, please, don't speak for me.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #62 of 154
I know I can't. Difference between two correctly designed (does not really take much effort or $$) modern DACs, with 0.001% distortion, no I can't.
What I can hear though, is the amount of noise difference between two of them. That one, pretty clearly, and I would score a 100% success rate in a blind test.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #63 of 154
If I understand your setup correctly, you are going from the M2 into a Denon cd player via optical connection.  In that case, you are going digital (either USB, spdif, or optical) from the computer, then passing through the M2 and to the Denon for digital to analog conversion.  I would expect that to sound worse than just going to the Denon unless the M2 could do some jitter reduction or reclocking, which I doubt it does given the size and price.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #65 of 154
This guy reviewed them both and tended to prefer the M2, although he seems to have a particular love for SMSL based on some of his other reviews. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NnV9DZ_YmA

Edit- Whoops, just noticed the logo on the youtube video, well it's still a pretty good review overall I think, I'm hoping to get my m2 in soon.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #66 of 154
Thought I would give feedback on Android experience with the SMSL M2.

Running the Nexus 7 2013 with Lollipop, an OTG USB right angle socket with a Y cable (testing different powered options with the Y cable) to the old USB mini socket on the SMSL M2 DAC, but haven't gotten it to work except with the Audio Evolution Mobile App from the Play store http://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/doku.php?id=start 

So YES, have gotten some crisp audio (without noise) running some FLAC files and MP3 on Audio Evolution Mobile. The USB cable the SMLSL M2 comes with also works fine with an OTG adapter. 

The way I get Audio Evolution Mobile app to play the SMSL M2 on the Nexus 7 is by choosing the eXtreem driver when prompted on the Nexus 7. Sometimes there are errors like failure setting Alt 0 and once I got a processor overload error or something like that. (Failure setting alt setting to zero or setupUSB failed). It cut out on a few songs. Typically I disconnect the USB cable and reload the app. The way the songs actually play is not from the beginning, but from a few seconds into the music. I assume there is some code being sent to the SMSL M2 that messes everything up. I move the slider over to the right from the start of the music. If you start from zero 0.00 the music fails. 

I am encouraged that this DAC will work once all the new Lollipop support for DAC kicks in.  
Also works with Moto X 2013 running Android 4.4.4. but with the same challenges as the Nexus 7 (except no eXtreem driver option).
Audio Evolution have excellent apps, but the USB Audio Player Pro doesn't allow playback with any of my Android set-ups yet.
The price seems to be quite stable at any of the internet outlets where you can find this device; mine was around $65 with shipping. Makes me wonder if there is an elcheapo deal then it might not be a SMSL M2, but a knock-off? I don't trust anything from a certain country these days...

I'm not an audio expert, so might not be able to answer any technical questions in this thread. My first post, be gentle. Hope this helps your DAC audio enjoyment.

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #67 of 154
Update to my last post. Was able to get USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) to work with a powered USB hub that passes OTG. Will try and keep this forum posted to the Android experience with the SMSL M2. Hope this continues to help.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #68 of 154
Second update. While a few minutes ago I could not get youtube or any other music player to work with the SMSL M2 on Android, these are now working. Nexus 7 2013 running Android 5.01 AND now working on Moto X 2013 running Android 4.4.4. Play Music, Shuttle, MP3's, FLACs are working. The powered hub must have been the answer.  OTC connector to an older Targus four port USB hub, the kind that has a separate USB cable with Standard-B plug (not sure if that is important here). The Targus hub usb sockets glow blue when the power cord is connected. Another powered hub without a Standard-B plug didn't work for me. Hope this information helps. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #69 of 154
The optical out on the SMSL M2 also works on the Android devices mentioned in previous two threads. Picked up a 12' long Digital Optical Audio TosLink to Mini TosLink Cable M/M for about $5.50. Quite nice sound for stereo optical feed to a Sony str de475.

Now if only I could get it to work on a window's laptop running 7 professional. Picked up the SMSL M2 Audio Control Panel software (file named "SMSL  M2 ACPL") after asking tech support for any kind of driver. There does not seem to be any documentation. The SMSL M2 seems to be recognized by the laptop but then none of my audio software shows the SMSL M2 output option. Windows device manager shows driver errors for the SMSL M2. Will try to keep this discussion group posted to success stories when available. Any suggestions in this thread for a suitable driver would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, hope this helps. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #70 of 154
Just a thought, I don't know whether you guys have already tried this or not to get usb otg to work straight from Android devices without a powered hub. I recently came across the same problem myself when I bought the Schiit Vali/Modi stack which I wanted to feed straight from Note 3. On the Schiit website they had a link to an app called usb audio player pro which solved my problem. It is paid which is a shame (I never buy apps) but it did solve my problem.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #71 of 154
lawrecedent, check post #67 in this thread, and again the powered hub helps!

Having major challenges with Shenzhenaudio.com support. Tech person who says their name is Stacy Chen giving me the run around on trying to get the Windows 7 Professional driver for the M2 (see post #69). Again, anyone have a ASIO driver that would work for the M2 on Windows 7 Pro? Hope this continues to help the head-fi group.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #72 of 154
lawrecedent, check post #67 in this thread, and again the powered hub helps!

Having major challenges with Shenzhenaudio.com support. Tech person who says their name is Stacy Chen giving me the run around on trying to get the Windows 7 Professional driver for the M2 (see post #69). Again, anyone have a ASIO driver that would work for the M2 on Windows 7 Pro? Hope this continues to help the head-fi group.

Sorry I missed that post somehow, does it still require a powered hub when using usb audio pro?

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #73 of 154
I decided to get the SMSL M2 since so many people were saying positive things about it. I've had it for 3 weeks now, sounds very good and I love how much better my headphones sound when I use it.

It is however dead now... I get a Code 10 error https://i.imgur.com/mca602y.png

I've tried different USB ports, different cables and 4 different computers running Win8.1, Win7 and WinXP.

Not happy about this.

Quote:

I would also like to say that I am not having good luck with their customer service. They want some guy to remotely access my computer. I told Stacy that I have tried every trick in the book and that my SMSL M2 is defective.

Fingers crossed that I get a new one since I was going use the M2 with my laptop :frowning2:

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #75 of 154
  I decided to get the SMSL M2 since so many people were saying positive things about it. I've had it for 3 weeks now, sounds very good and I love how much better my headphones sound when I use it.

It is however dead now... I get a Code 10 error https://i.imgur.com/mca602y.png

I've tried different USB ports, different cables and 4 different computers running Win8.1, Win7 and WinXP.

Not happy about this.

Hello.
Go here: http://smsl-audio.com/index.php?c=list&cs=ziliaoxiazai
Grab http://smsl-audio.com/index.php?c=download&id=1129&
Update eeprom in your M2.
This can fix your problem.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back