S:flo2 or Ipod Video 80gb
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mengu

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, looking for some quick opinions as I have the opportunity to purchase a mint Ipod Video for a great price.  I was planning on purchasing an S:flo2 and using my alo rx with it.  Would that be significantly better than the Ipod->Rx.  Really looking for someone who's had experience with both.  I've heard positives and negatives about the sflo's UI and touch screen though.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't speak about the Sflo2 yet mine should be here at the end of the week I have owned several different iPods and even an iMod. If you decide on the iPod be sure to use a good LOD. I like the detail associated with a silver LOD.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, I have an iPod Video 30GB (rockboxed) and s:flo2. From H/P out, s:flo2 wins the SQ battle hands down. The s:flo2 is simply much more powerful and more engaging to listen to. The iPod requires some fiddling with the EQ to get good sound, whereas the s:flo2 without EQ is already heavenly. 

I can't comment on lineout for either as I don't really use amps....

Regarding UI, the s:flo2 is terrible. There's no two ways about it. Let's also not forget the limitations of the firmware, where you'll be missing gapless, proper ID3 tagging, library sorting....... there's always the chance Teclast may improve on these issues, but they have been really slow in updating their firmware, and supposedly some of the issues are related to the Rockchip used so.....I think it's something worth considering before you get it. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I can't comment on lineout for either as I don't really use amps....

Regarding UI, the s:flo2 is terrible. There's no two ways about it. Let's also not forget the limitations of the firmware, where you'll be missing gapless, proper ID3 tagging, library sorting....... there's always the chance Teclast may improve on these issues, but they have been really slow in updating their firmware, and supposedly some of the issues are related to the Rockchip used so.....I think it's something worth considering before you get it. 

I have the s:flo2 and the ALO Rx and love the combination. I flipped the Rx to have the logo facing down so the headphone jack is on the outside and cable management is simple and clean.

The LO to Rx is nice; very good jump in sound quality depending on how resolving your headphones are. Umm...... I don't think the UI is horrible; I don't mind it and other than adding sorting by genres, there's nothing I would change and nothing I have a problem with.

Missing proper ID3 tagging? Well I don't know if it's ID3 but I tag everything using Media Monkey's software and it shows up perfectly on the player; no problems there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back