S-Audio Focus DAC/amp with binaural DSP
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 51
So he is working on a new one? Does it have the Binaural function? Thats whats most important to me! :)
The maker of my headphones, Maxim Kryvonos, is working on new IEMs, yes. But it has no relation to the maker of FOCUS and, therefore, to the binaural functions as well. Any headphones can be used with FOCUS's binaural mode.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #32 of 51
The maker of my headphones, Maxim Kryvonos, is working on new IEMs, yes. But it has no relation to the maker of FOCUS and, therefore, to the binaural functions as well. Any headphones can be used with FOCUS's binaural mode.
Ah, i thought you ment a new S-audio fovus amp. Haha.. Do Macim have a website ?

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #34 of 51
As to the FOCUS, I have installed new connectors on my mains cable (Zu Audio Event) and it opened new horizons for me. I've been in a positive shock ever since)

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #36 of 51
Meanwhile, there is a new version Focus 3 which is a major improvement over the previous ones. It has an A-Class headamp now, new custom-made digital filters, and updated binaural mode which introduces fewer changes to the frequency characteristics while retaining its "magic" holographic and stereo positioning properties.

The main advantages over Focus 2 are better instrument separation and layering, and much more natural-sounding instruments. Classical music is shockingly immersive now. It has a neutral tonal balance and is rather demanding in terms of the quality of a recording. If the recording is poorly produced Focus will show all its weaknesses. But with HQ materials it is really impressive. Genre-wise it is better suited to classical, jazz, folk, and other instrumental music. Metalheads might be disappointed as it does not color the sound and does not add any noticeable signature. Binaural sound mode is also not for everyone but those who dig it are reluctant to move to other non-binaural products. It changes the frequency characteristics a bit but provides a rewarding stereo effect with great positioning and layering, holographic instruments, and overall natural sounds of the instruments. I use Focus for my speaker setup as well.

I use mine with Gutwire USB cable and DIY power cable (mono strand with cotton sheathing) with ATL Power CU connectors.

The exterior design is the same as Focus 2. The changes are inside only.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_200716.jpg
    IMG_20210706_200716.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 24, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #40 of 51
I forgot to mention the headphones/IEMs I used for testing:

Hifiman HE4 & HE500, Oppo PM3, Dita Truth.

All of them sounded good, but HE500 sounded less attractive than I expected, maybe that is due to HE500's uneven frequency characteristics. Dita sounds great in low gain mode but with other IEMs you might encounter a noise as Focus was not made for sensitive headphones. IFI Match corrects this properly as per the info I got from other owners.

My main headphones are custom-made isodynamic over-the-ear Final Carbons by MaxNANO (Ukraine), but none of you know what they are (only 4 of them exist at the moment), so there is no reason to use those as a reference.)

Other owners that I know happily use their Focuses with Ananda, Empyrean and Ether CX headphones.
Hello! please tell me if the s focus amplifier had enough power to pump hifiman he 4 and he 500?

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #41 of 51
Hello! please tell me if the s focus amplifier had enough power to pump hifiman he 4 and he 500?
Yes, it was enough for me.

BTW, the new Focus 4 is even more powerful, and it features unique digital filters of Focus 3 with upgraded analog output and power. The sound it produces is one of the most realistic I've ever heard. The speed and sound separation levels of this DAC are making wonders with music. It makes each track into a tale that my music system tells. And the binaural experience is as pure as ever.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #42 of 51
Yes, it was enough for me.

BTW, the new Focus 4 is even more powerful, and it features unique digital filters of Focus 3 with upgraded analog output and power. The sound it produces is one of the most realistic I've ever heard. The speed and sound separation levels of this DAC are making wonders with music. It makes each track into a tale that my music system tells. And the binaural experience is as pure as ever.
I have s focus 3 and hifiman he500 and I see that you were not delighted with the 500, I only have them for Sunday, I listen on stock ear pads, and with some incomprehensible cable, the sound is 50/50 somewhere I like it, somewhere not, maybe not enough power for headphones?. And how do you like 500 now? After Centrance M8, I liked s focus 3

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #43 of 51
I have s focus 3 and hifiman he500 and I see that you were not delighted with the 500, I only have them for Sunday, I listen on stock ear pads, and with some incomprehensible cable, the sound is 50/50 somewhere I like it, somewhere not, maybe not enough power for headphones?. And how do you like 500 now? After Centrance M8, I liked s focus 3
Sorry, I never had HE500 as mine, just borrowed for some time couple of years ago. I'm glad you like Focus 3, and I'm sure you will enjoy Focus 4 big time when you get a chance to hear it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #44 of 51
Sorry, I never had HE500 as mine, just borrowed for some time couple of years ago. I'm glad you like Focus 3, and I'm sure you will enjoy Focus 4 big time when you get a chance to hear it.
did you also write that hifiman he4 was listened to, did they also have enough power s focus?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back