?'s and thoughts on digital music storage and the Roku Soundbridge
Apr 27, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #46 of 58
The squeezebox UI is fine. Straightforward, no fancy dancing eq bars, but who cares?

A note for headfi'ers: the most recent slimserver upgrade (5.1.5, I believe) made some changes to the default streaming methods. I believe it now defaults to streaming MP3 quality for FLACs unless you go in and change it to WAV streaming in the "advanced server settings" menus. Beware!

Apr 27, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacophony
Anybody else having problems with consumer-level switches like this?

I have a an older Netgear 802.11b, and I've occasionally had some problems with it dropping connections. I upgraded the firmware recently, and things have seemed to improve. I suppose thats what I get for a $40 router/WAP/switch/firewall.

As far as your streaming problems, as I understand it, having a 802.11b device on a 802.11g network slows down the overall throughput of other .11g devices on the network. Not as slow as a .11b device, but quite a bit. So, when you are streaming video and lossless audio, you are probably maxing out your bandwidth.

If you bought a cheap .11b connection point, you could setup a dedicated network for the squeezebox, and probably solve your problem. Or you could just plug your squeezebox into a wired connection, which is what I plan on doing.

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacophony
The squeezebox UI is fine. Straightforward, no fancy dancing eq bars, but who cares?

A note for headfi'ers: the most recent slimserver upgrade (5.1.5, I believe) made some changes to the default streaming methods. I believe it now defaults to streaming MP3 quality for FLACs unless you go in and change it to WAV streaming in the "advanced server settings" menus. Beware!

Yeah, I could care less about fuzzy warm dancing eq graphics... but I was hoping it would be configurable to display more artist/track info. Anywho...

Good note on the slimserver defaults. I read that it can stream either way, and I was wondering what was the default setting for FLACs.

On a related note, I finished ripping my cd collection last night, only took me 2.5 months... I suppose I should setup a RAID 0, don't want to do THAT again.

Apr 27, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-Gonzo
On a related note, I finished ripping my cd collection last night, only took me 2.5 months... I suppose I should setup a RAID 0, don't want to do THAT again.

So that's why you can't wait. I've still got a lot of ripping to do, so using an ipod in the meantime can hold me off.

If Roku didn't already have the media streamer on the market, I'd worry about the company. If I see another music streamer come to the market with a nice setup, I'll jump ship. The Squeezebox just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
So that's why you can't wait. ...

ha, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to take advantage of my newly ripped library.

biggrin.gif

Please keep us up to date with the SoundBridge, I'd like to hear your impressions if it ever materializes.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #52 of 58
No problem. I'll post a review if I get it.

I looked for some other players, but I didn't find any yet that play AIFF files or even list their specs on output.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by yammy1688
My concern with these media boxes is the quality of their clock, and associated digital output.

Wouldn't a seperate DAC fix this? I plan to use mine without one but might get a Benchmark down the road. I don't know if aos DAC would make a big enough improvement on the Roku. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still learning about DACs.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #54 of 58
I just called Roku and they said the issue is software related. They wouldn't explain further. Now I have to see if they'll support Apple's new lossless compression just announced. I was starting to worry about hd space.

Apr 30, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #55 of 58
Well, I think I'm cancelling my order as well. I just asked them if they will support apple's new lossless audio codec and they said they were looking into it but couldn't do anything until apple releases their information. I'd imagine them taking another half year or more to add this, if at all.

I felt that switching to the new lossless format was worth it because it freed almost half my hd space and allows me twice as many songs on my ipod.

I think I'm going to get a EMU 1212M soundcard and move one of my pcs to where my headphone setup is and get a little flat screen monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can use it while relaxing on the couch. It would have been a lot easier with the Roku but oh well.

The other option is waiting to see if apple puts out the own network streamer but I'm getting impatient.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #56 of 58
A good DAC can only do so much with a crappy digital output to begin with. Really, all it can do to improve the signal is reclock it with a more stable clock. If there are bits missing right out of the source, there's no way to retrieve them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Wouldn't a seperate DAC fix this? I plan to use mine without one but might get a Benchmark down the road. I don't know if aos DAC would make a big enough improvement on the Roku. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still learning about DACs.

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #57 of 58
Just an update.

Roku delayed the soundbridge again until the end of June. I canceled about month ago but I find it funny that they just keep delaying it by a month for 5 months in a row. Why not put a realistic release date instead for trying to string along the few people who still have a pre-order.

edit: I ended up with the flatscreen,wireless keyboard and mouse, and em-1212 soundcard. This is so much better than just a streamer could ever be. All my music and the internet to boot all from the comfort of my couch.

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #58 of 58
hehe, I just noticed that today. Completely verifies my feelings about them when I cancelled my pre-order. My guess is their problems aren't entirely product related... I wouldn't be all that suprised to see them go out of business before they ever get the product out the door.

Instead of Roku's product, I went with the squeezebox. Even with some of the bugginess of the squeezebox's server software, its been great. The search is quick, and the streaming is fantastic.

Plus, the enclosure for the squeezebox isn't as bad as it looks in pictures... its a high quality rubber-ized finish plastic.

I absolutely love having my collection available at the touch of a button. I've listened to things I haven't pulled out in years. Best money I have spent on audio equipment in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back