RWAK 120-s vs AK 240?
Oct 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 39
I've never heard the 240, but did own an Rwak120b stacked with intruder. Going from memory against the newer AK100II and AK120II, SQ is close. Edge would go to the Rwak120b, but for everything else, the newer models are so much nicer. I am happy I made the switch as the newer units are smaller, better looking, and much better to use. Personally, I don't think. you could go wrong either way. If form is a factor, newer devices, SQ the modded older models, or get the best of both worlds, Rwak120ii or if money doesn't matter RWAK240!!

Would just have to sell a kidney then for the RWA240 :wink:....

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 39
  Yes I had a very amazing opportunity today to listen to the brand new RWAK 240 modification vs. the Cord Hugo.  Blind testing using conventional CD quality 16/44.100kHz all the way to high resolution sources up to 24/192kHz.  Blind testing was conducted 7 times between the two sources and 6 of the 7 times I picked the RWAK 240 over the Cord Hugo with regarding to better SQ!!!  The differences were obvious and almost immediate to me. We were using the 2.5mm TRRS balanced output.  

I want to extend a huge THANK YOU to Tom Boozebuttons and Vinnie from Red Wine Audio for helping me make this testing a reality. I was so set on purchasing the Cord Hugo before the testing began I was shocked but my own ears told me otherwise.  Both really amazing and current state of the art DAC players.

Sincerely,
Speedracer1  (aka Tom)    

Hugo can only be as good as it's dig in and what comes out of DAPs isn't it's best possible source and generally not as good as what a DAP's internal DAC sees. Transmitting and receiving an SP/dif signal, especially​ tos
tongue.gif
, can be a distinct disadvantage. The Hugo may have sounded worse under your conditions but it in no way means the Hogo couldn't also sound better under better conditions. I also consider usb interfaces lacking. A proper SP/dif coax can be great but not generally from most PCs or DAPs.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 39
  Hugo can only be as good as it's dig in and what comes out of DAPs isn't it's best possible source and generally not as good as what a DAP's internal DAC sees. Transmitting and receiving an SP/dif signal, especially​ tos
tongue.gif
, can be a distinct disadvantage. The Hugo may have sounded worse under your conditions but it in no way means the Hogo couldn't also sound better under better conditions. I also consider usb interfaces lacking. A proper SP/dif coax can be great but not generally from most PCs or DAPs.

What do you think would be the most ideal condition to use the Hugo under? I might consider getting one in the future to upgrade my desktop dac.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 39

Would just have to sell a kidney then for the RWA240 :wink:....

I've dumped the RWA idea and instead got an iPhone 6Plus 128GB LOL.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 39
I've dumped the RWA idea and instead got an iPhone 6Plus 128GB LOL.

Just finished listening to the s mod and ref 1. Honestly cant expect more. The sound is nothing short of amazing. The 240 does tempt me based on its features. But based on pure sound, not really :wink:.

I recently upgraded from the 4 to the 5s. Heard too many issues about the 6 units that I decided to pass on it. I kinda wanted the 6 Plus though.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #22 of 39
Just finished listening to the s mod and ref 1. Honestly cant expect more. The sound is nothing short of amazing. The 240 does tempt me based on its features. But based on pure sound, not really
wink.gif

I recently upgraded from the 4 to the 5s. Heard too many issues about the 6 units that I decided to pass on it. I kinda wanted the 6 Plus though.

the S mod that  you have is on the original 120 right?  

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #23 of 39

the S mod that  you have is on the original 120 right?  

Sure is. Not as fancy as the newer players but its got it where it counts :). Opted for the upgraded single ended LO to be installed and don't regret it. Compared the stock LO (also modded) vs the installed one from Vinnie and the one Vinnie installed is noticeably better in terms of sound quality. I normally use it with the T1 amp and a pure silver cable on EQ flat.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 39

Sure is. Not as fancy as the newer players but its got it where it counts :). Opted for the upgraded single ended LO to be installed and don't regret it. Compared the stock LO (also modded) vs the installed one from Vinnie and the one Vinnie installed is noticeably better in terms of sound quality. I normally use it with the T1 amp and a pure silver cable on EQ flat.

I think is time for you to upgrade to the next generation of AK LOL.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #26 of 39

What do you think would be the most ideal condition to use the Hugo under? I might consider getting one in the future to upgrade my desktop dac.

Dedicated audio server and streamer dig out. Other than that, use it's USB input directly from a PC via Asio. I can't get into brands but some of the dedicated audio kit dig out can't be matched by usb interfaces. Costs a lot more but price of admission. The nice thing about the Hugo is that it works about as well as anything usb and can do so much with that footprint. I'm an AK fan and would personally never add the bulk of an outboard add on for portable use.but if you want to compare the AK240 to the Hugo, use them both as DACs off a PC and see what happens. 

Chord says the hugo sounds no different when it's switching power charger is plugged in. Not true. It's better on pure battery or even slightly more so with the right linear supply added. Not huge swings but apparent given good input. Folks should also make certain that crossfeed is off when comparing to other devices. Hard to know without some familiarity.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 39
I think is time for you to upgrade to the next generation of AK LOL.

I agree!! I have no regrets upgrading... Not one. But I'm not Mim, and my ears tend to not agree with anyone's here. Originally, I was a little disappointed and was missing my Rwak120b... But after a day of heavy use, the newer models are just all around nicer. Much better to use than a stack. But to each his own... Plus I will rwak whatever player I decide on, which today seems like the 240...yesterday was the 120ii, and last week was the 100ii.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #28 of 39
I agree!! I have no regrets upgrading... Not one. But I'm not Mim, and my ears tend to not agree with anyone's here. Originally, I was a little disappointed and was missing my Rwak120b... But after a day of heavy use, the newer models are just all around nicer. Much better to use than a stack. But to each his own... Plus I will rwak whatever player I decide on, which today seems like the 240...yesterday was the 120ii, and last week was the 100ii.

You are a very rich guy

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #30 of 39

Your ears got use to the downgrade :wink:. Just kidding... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back