RWA iMod or WhipMod
Aug 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

No Deal

100+ Head-Fier
I am admittedly late to iMod awareness.  Until storage became an issue I had not thought about an iPod as a source.  I am currently listening to a 160GB Classic via an RSA Shadow.  I have an 80GB Gen 5.5 that I am planning to iMod.  Is there enough known to compare the subject mods and say that one is any better than the other?

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 21
I believe you're referring to Whiplash Audio's new WhipMOD, their take on the iMod (TWag is their cable line). I think this products new enough where you won't find that many impressions of it, but the few you do seem to favor it over the current iMod.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 21
Both of these products (as far as I can tell) have the exact same idea. Recable the innards of an iPod so you can get a true Line-Out. The only difference (again, as far as I can tell) is that RWA uses some standard silver cable, and Whiplash Audio uses their TWag Cable.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Just went to Whiplash site but did not see any iMod info.  Can someone provide a link to this??

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 21
Aug 31, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Just went to Whiplash site but did not see any iMod info.  Can someone provide a link to this??

Just an FYI:

DIYMod: True Line-Out Mod, done by DIY'ers
iMod: True Line-Out Mod, done by RWA
WhipMod: True Line-Out Mod, done by Whiplash Audio

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 21
O thanks for the link.  That's why I didn't see it on the Whiplash website I guess

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 21
I believe that I will let the tried and proven RWA do my mod.  I am not convinced that it matters that much.  I will struggle with the cable decision while that is being done.  Maybe someone will come forward with an opinion on the TWag reference cable by then.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 21
If you don't care what cable is used internally, why don't you get it DIYModded. It will have pretty much the same results for about $100 - $200(including the iPod).

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 21
Thanks.  I'll consider that.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 21
Did you see this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510983/first-impressions-whiplash-audio-whipmod-and-elite-twag-reference-whiplod-combo?

Might help you think your decisions through.

One mistake I made was to get the RWA 5.5G iMod in anticipation of using it with the Solo + JH 3A + JH16s only to find out that one will need a 6th Generation (or later) iPod.   So just in case anything like this is in your plans, you may want to bear my experience in mind.

Of course, now I will have my RWA 5.5 iMod + Pico Slim + Twag JH 13s as one rig, and one day....soon, I hope......a 7thG iPod + Solo....etc....two rigs to cart around!

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 21
If you're talking about the WhipMod and reference LOD you will need to go to the Whiplash website the kink to which you can find on the head-fi website.   Just note, the reference LOD is not on the Whiplash website according to an email from Craig that I received today, so it will be best to email Craig.

If you're taking about the RWA iMod you can find it on the ALO website and/or the Red Wine Audio website the links for which can also to be found on the head-fi website.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Both of these products (as far as I can tell) have the exact same idea. Recable the innards of an iPod so you can get a true Line-Out. The only difference (again, as far as I can tell) is that RWA uses some standard silver cable, and Whiplash Audio uses their TWag Cable.

All,

Just for clarification, for the 5g/5.5g iMod, we do not use silver wiring inside.

We use Cardas' patented Golden Section Litz Wire.  It is copper, and only sold in OEM applications (on a large spool) to manufacturers, not to the DIY community.

I do not use any other wire for the iMod modification.  ALO Audio sells the iMod dock cables and offers different wiring and capacitor options for the this cable (which each have a different sonic signature).

Hope this helps.

Vinnie

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 21
First off WhipMOD >>> iMod IMHO

Vinnie,
I do not know much about wire but I do know that my bf was skeptical about not being able to find this wire you use in the iMod for normal people here on head-fi.  BUT, this item is offered to the general public!!!!!  So your statement is incorrect.  Go to diycable.com, I was really debating between which two products to get and luckily chose the WhipMOD because I sat there while on speaker phone while my bf called the owner of this company and he said he can get anything from Cardas, even Cardas said this is not true because he can get whatever from them and then send it to anyone.

The only reason I am saying this is bc I now know I definetely made the right decision in buying the WhipMOD over the iMod as this is a flat out lie from the creator of this iMod right!  And it makes it seem as if you are the only one who can get this when really that is not true...bad marketing LOL.  I do not buy from liar's flatout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back