RWA IMOD 4G and Ipod classic
Nov 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

smusaodide

New Head-Fier
Hi, there. I owned a Ipod classic 80gb before and just lost it several days ago along with my rig. I tried it before with some amps like mini3, ibasso D3, pico and predator. I can't hear much difference using mp3 format with amps or without amps. (Music is 192kps mp3 mainly and some 256 kps AAC) I can only identify small differences using apple lossless format music with amps and the difference is really limited. I want to know whether it is a common case. Is the ipod classic's line-out not very good that it restricts the ability of those amps? I'm now considering buying a RWA IMOD 4G photo, is it a huge upgrade from the ipod classic regarding the sound quality? Thanks in advance.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 14
what headphones are you using??? this has quite a bearing on the difference you will hear with an amp and with IMOD vs classic

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what headphones are you using??? this has quite a bearing on the difference you will hear with an amp and with IMOD vs classic

Thanks for reply. I used to use shure se530 and er4s.
Now the thing I care most is whether RWA IMOD 4G will improve the sound quality far more obviously using the amps compared to ipod classic.

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 14
I have not heard the Classic but I did have a iMod 4G photo that I used with a prototype Xin Reference and that was the best dap rig I have ever heard using ER4 P and S with 320 KB aac files

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 14
A while back (when the iPod Classic) was released Vinnie of Red Wine Audio did a comparison. He stated that the sound out of the iPod classic via the line out was much better than the previous stock generations (4, 5, and 5.5). He then compared the 4th gen iMod, w/ the 5.5 iMod, and the iPod Classic.

He ranked them: 1) 5.5 w/ iMod, 2) 4 w/ iMod, and 3) iPod Classic. I contacted him and he further expanded by indicating that the difference between the 4th Gen iModded iPod and the iPod Classic was not that much, however there was in his opinion a good jump in quality between the Classic and the 5.5 w/ the iMod.

Hope this helps.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 14
I sold my iMod and bought a Classic because I couldn't hear a clear difference between the two. My experience with the iMod was with ALAC files, ER4s, UE10, SE530 all through my Pico.

Regardless of our opinions on the matter, you'll only get your answer by trying for yourself... otherwise you'll always wonder...

By one second hand, then sell it if you aren't impressed. Not like you'll loose any money doing it, head-fi is in love with the iMod.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Reading this thread I just compared my 5.5 G Ipod with the Ipod Classic using an SR 71A and ESW 9s. I'd say the Classic has a bit wider soundstage, but the 5.5 has a closer in sound and a bit better transparency. The 4G Imod is superior to both in transparency, sweetness, and overall musicality, in my opinion. I like the sound of the 5.5 more than the Classic, but I can see how others might like the wider soundstage of the classic.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
head-fi is in love with the iMod.

Me too! my imod will come on Tuesday! 2 more days to wait. I'm so excited!
L3000.gif
BTW based on what I have seen in head-fi, it seems people are connecting very good portable amp to their imod. I only have d2 boa (>_<) and a pair of yuin OK1. will it make my portable rig sound much better. I'm a little worried after reading poo's comment.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 14
^ D2 Boa is a 'very good portable amp'. It will do a fine job. Yuins might not give you as much as other IEMs might, but that's all personal preference I guess...

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 14
hahaha. i don't have money to buy IEMs such as triple fi. All my money now is wasted for this imod. maybe next time i'll buy a decent IEM. I'm eyeing for RE1 right now. (^_^)

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 14
^ Yeah I guess that's my point. I really think you will get much more benefit from upgrading your headphones than anything an iMod will do for you (in your current setup). I was reluctant to say it before, but IMO you should change the order of priority of your upgrade path. An iMod is a waste of money for you at this point if you are looking for a significant difference in sound quality. You might hear a difference by introducing an iMod, but the difference with a new pair of headphones has the potential to be far more impressive/significant.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for all the replies. Now I'm really hesitated to purchase a imod 4G cause it's not portable and not having a phone out function compared to ipod classic.
As far as I googled, many people said 4G Imod is the most significant imod. However, the maker of the imod doesn't think so. That's strange. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back