Russia, Moscow meet impressions (29.10.2011) MFPA
Jan 25, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1 of 8

Impressions by "Vetal"

Many thanks to the sponsors! Merit certificates to ... those who work in DH ... to all of them! The first meeting went off super! The event had the only great disadvantage. It was impossible to listen to open back headphones, because sometimes music coming from neighbors was sooo loud... I've never listened to my loudspeakers at such high levels.

It turned out that seven hours were far too short to try everything you liked! We want a two-day marathon in the open with barbecue and beer!

​

Let me tell you about a set that I was lucky to listen to. It was the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 and his Universal Dual Sp. Keno amplifier.

​

It's important to make a correction for quite noisy environment of the event. Evaluation with open back headphones was the hardest task.

I had the AKG K1000 and the second revision of the Audez’e LCD-2 earphones to appraise the above DAC and Amp combination. The test materials included tracks by Irina Bogushevskaya, Sretensky Monastery Choir, Khvorostovsky, and Metallica (Dyers Eve).

​

The set of the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 + the Universal Dual Sp. Keno produced the best impression if compared to other combinations listened by me. The exclusion was the KGSS + the Stax SR-507 and the SR-009. Finally, sound produced by the TDA 1541 chip gave no cause for criticism. I listened to an old revision of the Markan for a long time before. And so, the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 had absolutely no disadvantages of the Markan. No oddish presentation in the mid-frequency range, no excessive musicality. As a rule, I evaluate the mid range first. Mids played very openly and airily, voice sounded clearly, no blurriness! When people around calmed down, I could hear a very good microdynamics. I found no restraint in lower frequencies. I could feel nature of the headphones, I mean that if the LCD-2 had quite exaggerated bass, here it would sound the same way. I would classify highs as slightly mild. Is it good? IMHO, they would rather be mild and remain detailed than be punchy and loud.

​

I had a chance to connect the Arkhipov`s Laboratory Universal Dual Sp. Keno to the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 56. I heard many familiar notes (since when I had the Mhdt Havana), but the1541 chip seemed to sound more exciting. I couldn't find any advantages of the DAC 56 at once, but vocal of the DAC 1541 was more interesting.

I can't say that the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 is strictly associated with specific music styles... However, solo vocal, choir and rock sounded great.

I've listened over transistor products lately and now I catch myself at becoming a tube fan. The transistor devices don't have such space, sound stage, explosive bass and nice performance on the whole. So, don't be afraid of trying tube devices, they're not that bad.

Now let's proceed to reviews of other combinations. I listened to selected and familiar tracks over nearly all equipment.

​

The AKG 1000 The first thing falling into my hands was the AKG K1000. I listened to them over the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 and the Arkhipov`s Laboratory Universal Dual Keno amp. The headphones sit on peculiarly, but my first impression was "why do I need other cans?") It's very interesting, but – despite the fact that they touch ear auricles and there are no other headphones this open – you stop hear unwanted sounds quite soon ... I don't even know why it happens. Also, you can angle the drivers to ears quite accurately. Thus, you can even try to get sound stage close to loudspeakers performance.

​

I next listened to the STAX SR-507 and the SR-009 over the Viktor's (Khronos) KGSS amp (Gilmore Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier). Since I wasn't a sophisticated user of STAX earphones, the SR-009 seemed to be more pleasant to the ear and more balanced, but the SR-570 were quite loud to me. At the end of the meeting, I came back to the STAX again to decide "which STAX model would be suffice for me to start with". Thus, I tried the SR-009, the SR-407, and the SR-507. I listened to the SR-009 again and didn't change my mind. I liked them most of all. However, bearing in mind their price, they were put on ice until better times. At first sight, the difference between the SR-407 and the SR-507 was minimum. The greatest difference was somewhere in the low-frequency range. It seemed that the SR-507 had a bit more and detailed bass. However, if we listened to some vocal, then the SR-407 would sound far superior (taking into account the price difference). Probably, somebody won't like the color of the SR-407..., but those who require good sound, will not take this characteristic into consideration. It's also said, that if you replace the SR-407's pads with pads of the SR-507, the difference will disappear entirely.

​

The Audez’e LCD 2 rev.2 were the next. I probably listened to them longer than to other headphones and over different systems such as the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 and the Universal Dual Keno, the Audio-GD Reference 5 (and the PS Audio Ultra Link) + the Audio-GD Roc SA, and the Demograph's set (it's quite difficult to describe this, probably somebody will give a better description. It consists of the DAC 1541 and the 1547, the amp with many outputs). The second revision left better impression on me than the first one. I didn't hear any extreme loss in vocal as it happened with the first revision. Though, it wasn't perfect too. I think that bass (especially after the STAX) slightly dominated the rest range and wasn't as detailed as it could be. Also, they would sound better with tube equipment. On the whole, the cans are not bad. They feature good details and immersion effect which varies from system to system. Let me mention the set of the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 + the Universal Dual Sp. Keno again. The Audez’e LCD-2 weren't the only earphones that sounded great with it. Unfortunately, I couldn't listen over the Demograph's system as long as I would like. Moreover, we failed to match the best mode for the LCD-2, thus, it didn't blow our minds, however we were pleased with the sound. I liked the DAC 1541 most of his two DAC's 1541 and 1547. I can remember another example. Some tracks of Sretensky Monastery Choir were of bad quality, and sometimes when they began to sing all together some mess appeared. So, the STAX could recover more useful information from this mess unlike the combination of the Demograph's set and the LCD-2 (as I've said, they are not too strong on the LCD-2).

I had a chance to compare the Arkhipov's DAC's 1541 and the PCM56. Both were accompanied by the Arkhipov`s Laboratory Universal Dual Keno. I liked the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541 more, while others preferred the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 56. Tastes differ as the saying goes.

​

Somebody reminded me of the Ultrasone company. So, being a former user of the Ultrasone 900 Pro, I decided to form an opinion of their later models. I listened to it over the Colorful Colorfly C4 PRO with preloaded Metallica Load's tracks. Headphones I listened to included theEdition 8 Limited, and the Edition 8 Palladium. On the whole, I was satisfied. Sound wasn't as wry as I heard in the Doctorhead store recently (perhaps, the burn in period of this one was longer). Energetic Ultrasone sound. I liked the Edition 8 rather than the 9 for its more natural vocal. In the 9's it's as if laid back a bit. To say the truth, the both models had a common disadvantage. Vocal was synthetic. First, I blamed the Colorfly C4 Pro (kind of "what do you want from this small unit?"), but I was mistaken. The Aduez'e LCD-2 put things in their right places. After connecting them to the Colorfly C4 Pro, the synthetic overtones disappeared. This Colorfly may not be as bad.

​

The vintage Beyerdynamic DT 911 fell into my hands too. I listened to them over the Audio-GD system. When vocal played, I thought "damn... what the hell do I need the LCD-2 for, the 9110-s sound megasuper". However, the cans were not as perfect. Alas! They don't forgive everything. If a record has even a few sibilants, they sound very aggressive through the DT 911. Thus, I was faced with the dilemma. I should either forgive the LCD-2 for their exaggerated bass (these cans overlook many things) or the DT 911 for their intolerableness of sibilants, but then I can kiss goodbye to Irina Bogushevskaya and many other records. I think, the experience would be nicer if I listened over some tube amp.

​

If I'm not mistaken, the Fischer Audio has the FA 977 Jazz, the portable headphones with wood housing. Their sound is pretty good. Take a note of them if you're interested in this form-factor.

I listened to the Audio-Technica W500 over the Demograph's set and some other system. I failed to get their strengths. However, I found nothing to be over-emphasized or loud as well. Probably, a system for them should be chosen with much care.

That's all what I was lucky to touch in this or that way.

Let me thank again all the event makers and their assistants (the Audio-Technica W5000 is worth I don't know what). I hope, in after years the meeting will become an annual traditional event!

And here are some pictures to convey the atmosphere and memorize the event.

​

Alexandr (aka Shurik) the Stax 009 - the top model for lots of money. "They are so small, but cost as a half of a car.

​

" The SPL Phonitor 2730 is a very nice amp. I didn't have time for it.

​

Viktor aka Chronos + the AKG K1000 = temporary satisfaction.

​

Sergey aka Clubnewmen - "Oh ... oh ... it seems to have started to boom and click well".

​

Remembrance picture.

​

You'd better not distract them now.

​

Sergey aka sergar, the representative of the Arkhipov's Laboratory and a keen listener Konstantin aka wanderer256.

​

Artyom (the head of Doctorhead), I think, we should thank him first for this memorable and important event). He was also noticed among visitors.

​

Andrey aka andreykris, the Stax 507 earphones - "It seems that now I understand why Khronos has been taken in them".

​

The Arkhipov's Laboratory products are in the foreground.

​

Look how many yum-yum's are there. In the foreground, there are heaps of the Beyerdynamic, the Sennheiser hd800 and a handful of the AKG. Look, that one over there with a green string is the AKG Q701 (interesting cans, but looked like not being burned in properly).

​

Everybody is busy).

​

The Energy Audio devices are beautiful but still unexplored by me.

​

Vityok (aka Khronos) - "A sushi machine, a sushi machine... That's it, I've remembered the right answer. Please ask me your question".

​

"You can fly a long distance away with such headphones".

​

No comments.

​

"The winner is....!!!".

​

"I've listened to plenty of devices and now can pose a bit )".

​

The mega earphones Koss of some distant years. The model wasn't identified.

​

"Now let's knock back some champagne".

​

Thanks, the photographed object contributed to a good picture

​

He resembles somebody... guess who?

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 8

Impressions by "Crus"

Hi! I'm Crus. Nice to meet you. I'm very happy because I've received a headphonephile T-shirt and 7% discount (a reward card) in Doctorhead Store during the MFPA 2011 event (Meeting Fans of Personal Audio).

​

The quantity and quality of lottery prizes amazed! Nice Sennheiser teddy bears, the Fischer Audio and the Germna Maestro headphones, and many others. Viktor Kronos received the ATH-W5000 from the sponsor Blade - no comments.

​

Doctorhead, thank you for the event! Superb! I was thrilled!
Despite my sad and skeptical mood at first (what interesting can happen at another audiophile party?), I was absolutely pleased with the meeting.

The store personnel (the party makers) were very regardful and friendly. They perfectly balanced assistance to those who needed it and non-interference in the party process.

The sponsors were duly promoted.

​

It would be better if the badge nicknames were bigger and bolder! An identification problem existed. I wanted to make the acquaintances of many forum members, but it was obscene to peer at all badges. I got to know those only who I was pointed at.

It was nice to meet you all in real life (especially the legendary forum people such as Khronos, VVK and Clubnewmen). I hope to see you again.

​

My old friends Akhmed aka MAC, Stas aka Crus, Yevgeny aka Nibelung"

It was also nice to meet and talk to representatives of famous companies: Akhmed, the Laconic representative...

​

"Yesterday, I caught a pike this big. Oh, it's a wrong party.. Sound stage of our amp is this big even through the Grado cans!"

... and Sergey, the Arkhipov's Laboratory representative.

It's always nice and informative (I only have to ask for an autograph). Next time, I would like to see and chat with representatives of larger companies such as Sennheiser, Audio-Technica and others.

​

It was also good to meet Energetik, the Energy Audio representative, it may be of use. The fast growing and becoming more and more popular young brand is our future.

​

The meeting was favorable for experience exchange between the designers. The beginning Jaster is trying to get secrets out of the ace developers.

​

It was also very interesting to see romanrex face to face, the living legend of iXBT.com and Doctorhead tests.

Of course, there was a sea of delicious devices. Since I didn't have enough time to communicate and to listen, I managed to try only a small extent of available equipment. I would even say too many devices were presented. Some stands seemed to be incomplete and needed more detailed information about each unit (big A4 plates with descriptions). In other words, the fewer, the better. 

​

Let me give an example. For instance, the Stax's and the Viktor Khronos's stands disappeared in the heaps of other devices. However, they deserved a separated spacious room and descriptions.

​

Also, the Arkhipov's stand suffered from confusion of connections, unclarity in sources and regular flow of visitors. It was impossible to come near. As I understood, the Laconic didn't have its own stand at all. I found the Laconic Night Blues NB-3A near the Arkhipov's.

​

The Energetic's stand was a positive example: complete and having free space around favorable for intent and comfortable listening.

There was a problem with sources (shortage and confusion), but it could be understood. Still it was a meeting of personal audio. However, famous brands of CD and SACD players or some Hi-Fi shows should be get involved.

Here are my listening impressions in short.

First, I decided to remember the sound of the top Sennheiser HD-800.

​

The HD-800 headphones were connected to the AudioValve amp and some fixed player. They sat comfortably, had a huge sound stage, good timbres, however sound was a bit harsh. I thought that the source was the problem. Everything was great when I listened to them by the Arkhipov's Laboratory stand (over the Arkhipov`s Laboratory DAC 1541  + Universal Dual Sp. Keno). I think these headphones are unique in class. I've never heard such stage, air and feeling of a concert hall through any other cans.

Then, I listened to the STAX 507 over the Viktor's set for a short time. It seems to be them.

​

Tremendous, plain and natural sound. I wanted just to listen to them but not take apart. The entry-level Stax didn't impress me this much. Their sound was quite ordinary.

My mission of the day was to test top models of closed-type headphones. The family requires to save them from listening to great symphonies by Dmitri Shostakovich.

When I saw the Audio-technical W5000 and Denon D5000 side by side, I grasped them both in delight and hurried to the Arkhipov's stand, because his equipment is the best of what I can afford. I also found a CD with a Rachmaninoff's symphony there, which I used for further comparisons.

​

As soon as strings and then the brass entered, the W5000 sent a shiver went up and down my spine  I couldn't help it. These were headphones that won my heart. The bass was enough and deep. I didn't hear any brightness. Excellent sound.

​

I liked the highs of the D5000. However, the mids were constrained and the lows dominated the whole range. I think these headphones are perfect for rock, acoustic and electronic music. You'd better choose another model for classics and symphony orchestras.

​

Then, I was lucky to listen to the legendary but not produced any more Viktor's Sony CD3000.

First of all, they are light and very comfortable. I was stunned by their performance. It was the sounding of high quality open back headphones. Very detailed, light and open. They could be compared with the Stax and the HifiMen on details. However, their laid-back and cold sound confused me a bit. Conclusion is that these were the great closed-type earphones, unusual and unique.

At the Arkhipov's Labarotory stand I managed to compare the performance of the PCM56 and TDA1541 DAC's. I liked the latter more for its great details and airy sound. The units were a perfect reference to compare headphones. I had no complaints to them as sources.

I also compared the presentations of the Universal Dual Keno amp and the Ultra Dual Keno amp. The Universal Dual Keno seemed to be a bit blurred. However, on the whole, the sound was excellent. The Ultra Keno is my ideal amp for the present. This is my dream for now. Then time will show.

​

Then, I mainly examined all kinds of odd devices and listened to portable units a little. However, I spent most of the time communicating with the forum members and designers.

On the whole, the meeting was absolutely different from a typical audiophile get-together in a coffee bar or somebody's kitchen. It was the first ever event of such a high level held in Russia. I hope the tradition will be kept up and next year the meeting will be even better.

I was lucky to listen to many quality devices of famous brands, to add and to delete some points in my wish list. I was even more lucky to to talk to other audiophiles, designers and representatives..

Invaluable.
DoctorHead, thank you for being with us.

PS. I would like to thank Doctorhead Store and buy the ATH-W5000 from them, the more so because I have the discount now.
Tea, juice and other pleasures of the table were a nice complement. The meeting lasted for the whole day after all. Thank you.
Champaign at the end was very tasty. Could you tell me the brand?

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 8

Impression by "Melsing"

Essence of the Meeting

The zenith of personal audio caused appearing of many new brands, technical solutions, and principles of audio systems. In that case, both manufacturers and consumers of personal audio found themselves in a poorly structured, disintegrated information field. In particular, headphones at the traditional "audiophile" forums were considered as a matter of secondary importance compared to speaker systems. There were the most fantastic opinions and views concerning ways of sound output from the computer. For quite a long time though, the Russian fans of audio electronics have been offering a range of technical solutions that allow arranging correct output of digital stream from a PC at the leading online Vegalab forum. The solutions have a high quality/price ratio (for example, Energetik's USB-i2s transport or converters with reverse synchronization on SPDIF input of KNLL), but they are offered as sets of parts suitable for use only by skilled amateurs in their own projects. Creating complete industrial devices on the base of these boards is a leap in the dark for a developer, requiring substantial investment in the development and production of cases, distribution of products, etc. It is obvious that such a step is hard to take without comprehending the market situation and opinions of potential customers.

In the virtual space the Doctorhead store forum has become the main integrator of information on personal audio in all its aspects, and that is quite logical; this store is known for a broad selection of items and traditional attention to products of Russian manufacturers. Its cozy listening room in Perovo has become a unique center of reviewing interesting personal audio products. A general meeting was a logical step in enabling consumers and manufacturers meet and explore new products.

One can mark the following main objectives of the meeting:
·         Raising status of personal audio in the audiophile world. Arrangement of a specialized exhibition in the prestigious hotel Holiday Inn, conveniently located just two minutes away from Sokolniki Metro station. Simultaneous presentation of many high-end headphones and amplifiers at the exhibition. A number of manufacturers were invited - all that significantly raised importance of the event compared to conventional private listening in the store.
·         Allowing comparative testing for a wider range of audio equipment than in the store: a number of visitors brought their own headphones, amplifiers and sources, including the vintage ones.
·         Organization of a direct dialogue of consumers and manufacturers, more specific than at the forums, thanks to the possibility of direct testing of offered devices.
·         Meeting of forum members in reality and improving efficiency of their discussions: first, live meeting provided an opportunity of mutual correction of definitions, as parties could clarify the terminology they used for specific examples, audio components, musical material, etc., and secondly, a wide range of equipment allowed direct comparing of a number of devices, discussed in absentia at the forum battles.
·         Allowing a tour in the world of personal audio for neophytes.

All the tasks were completed successfully.

The Meeting Regulations

The regulations depended on the tasks and questions:

Since 11 o'clock the participants began to come with their own equipment. One room was devoted to the store exposition and presentation of some of the major manufacturers selling their products in it. The second room was given for presentation of equipment of the start-up companies, and other vintage items from private collections. Exposition of the store was arranged with a reasonably high degree of thoughtfulness and balance of commutation as a few Atoll CD-players were placed in the room, and each of them was used for two or three headphone amplifiers. DACs were placed all over the room together with a large number of portable music players Colorful Colorfly C4 PRO as universal digital sources, in memory of which several albums, including The Wall by Pink Floyd, were stored. The store assistants kindly helped to connect all equipment in the second exhibition room, providing the participants with missing cables, power distribution devices and so on.

​

In about half an hour the equipment was arranged and cross-connected (in the picture Energetik (Energy Audio representative) in the left configuring the system).

The first visitors started listening. It lasted up to 17 hours, people interchanged knowing the components, discussing results, interviewing manufacturers, latecomers of participants were gradually coming and joining the process. Soon a number of components were moved from the store room to the room of private individuals (first of all excellent headphones Sennheiser HD800 highly suitable for assessing quality of electronic components).

My visit of the meeting had four main objectives: to study a segment of expensive headphones and evaluate their features for home playback of music; look for earphones for home cinema and night listening; to evaluate the feasibility of top-class player for my Etymotic ER-4P; talk to audiophiles and developers.

Top headphones

The meeting organizers provided an invaluable opportunity to know the Sennheiser HD 800 and various Stax models .

Most of all I was interested in Stax, because I'd never listened to electrostatic sound in personal audio (only the Quad 2905 loudspeakers). At the exhibition they were arranged as a compact group, so it was possible to evaluate sound of different models, both from original and alternative Kevin Gilmore amps. I listened to introductory chorus to Bach's St. Matthew Passion conducted by Leonhardt (see a full list of CDs at the end of the report) and the aria Buß und Reu using different models.

The first impression was as follows: the sound surprised with its incredible softness, lack of distortion, transparency, and along with it, the lack of "hardness," "materiality." Its description in audiophile terms was not very interesting: the sound was balanced, clear, transparent, with a rather large dynamic reserve, etc. (although it's worth noting that total energy and bass dynamics of older models are slightly higher). It is more interesting to think about sense of such a sound, comparing it with a pair of audio systems, which are standard for me, in carefully prepared rooms for listening - Yuri Makarov's system (a source was transport and Mark Levinson DAC 30.6, original amplifier, speakers Montana WAS) and setups in New ambience with vinyl player Continuum Caliburn, ASR Emitter amplifier and Tidal Contriva acoustic system.

The greatest contrast was just with the Contriva setup. It had the highest degree of physicality, Callas in Carmen and Joan Baez had appreciable density, size, height, positioned here, and the instruments were located there. It was difficult to speak about spatial characteristics as the sound had a character of abstract intertwining of singing ghosts, separated only by timbre. If at the Makarov's system a voice of a boy was heard singing Buß und Reu, here it was somewhat less clear as if you heard the angels singing. In general, the first impression caused some confusion. At the room (and in subsequent written responses) the similar reaction was heard from people saying, "Now it is clear that one can live without Stax". Understanding came in the process of listening using the other headphones. The Stax sound (especially of older models) is characterized by music that is sublimated into pure eidos. Musical image, devoid of flesh, keeps the smallest edge of meaning, and at the same time it has a feature typical for ideal as it is absolutely devoid of fatigue and can be contemplated indefinitely.

If I were asked, what headphones I would like to spend my life in, I would have chosen Stax. Thinking over their sound is a reminiscence of Mann's idea ​​in Doctor Faustus of penance imposed on the music by itself, for its inherent "cow's warmth" and sensual appeal. Singing was offered as a very abstract sound composition of Netherland polyphony, and the king of instruments was a piano, which was the most deprived (in the plan) of timbral identity to serve as the embodiment of pure musical ideas without sensuous charm of voice. Stax just embodied a conscious musical austerity, bringing music to the purest sense and abstract structures. "In the scale of global action there is a point where imagination and knowledge get into each other, a point which is reached by decrease of large things and increase of small ones: the point of art." (Vladimir Nabokov, The Other Banks). It was written as if concerning Stax, with their distinguishability of smallest details and leveling the scale and energy of musical action. In general, it was a very specific musical instrument, not on the basis of the genre selectivity, but on the mental affinity.

The Sennheiser HD800 were the most striking contrast at the first minutes. Wow factor just rolled: having the sound of comparable purity and detail, the bass was tighter and more resilient, shocking, the picture was generally brighter and more contrast. The air and amount of space between instruments was really striking. The sound pleased a lot.

(in the picture the author is taken aback looking for an invisible small band (La Petite Bande) of Leonhardt and boys from Tölzer Knabenchor)

​

When listening (I was listening mostly the eight hundredth in different paths, and listened a significant part of the third act of Valkyrie by Solti, Das Rheingold by Dohnanyi, The Magic Flute by Klemperer, some of King Krimzn, etc.) the sound could be compared with watching a detailed cartoon or movie with special effects on the FullHD LCD panel. The details were staggering, colors were saturated (Solti's wonderful sounding of brass instrument is a real brand!), but the picture was too bright. Technically speaking, high frequencies were expressed too much, but surprisingly low distortion created effect of non-intrusive, but just a fantasy sound. After a while it's not tiring, but the wow-effect lapsed, and in some (rare) places their manner even began to interfere with too much contrast, as in FullHD release of an old film a glued eyebrow or a carelessly painted backdrop would be clearly seen. Speaking about genre selectivity with respect to the headphones of this class is just as complex as related to Stax: technically they, with the appropriate path, can absolutely fully convey the sound of any genre. We can only talk about individual comprehension of such a sound.

Stax and HD800 are two completely different branches of audio evolution. Neither of them satisfies me completely (compared with a good sound system which can be more expensive), but if choosing, taking into account fast pace of life, I would prefer HD800, because they have a very positive and pleasing sound at a relatively short audition (and this is true practically for all musical genres), while for understanding Stax peace of mind, attention and other conditions for contemplation are needed.

In addition to opinions of the Premier League I should tell about Beyerdynamic 911 offered for knowing  with a comment "a vintage legend". They played very nicely since the very first seconds, and the sound was balanced, open, detailed, and somehow cheerful. However, during direct comparison on the same path of Energy Audio (Energetik's) with HD800 Beyerdynamic 911 they lost as Sennheiser HD800 gave much lower distortion, the sound was clearer and had subtle detailing, and there was space between the instruments, sometimes Beyerdynamic presented slips of distortion in female singing. As for ergonomics, Sennheiser HD800 were the best to fit the head, and in the Stax ears sometimes touched the grid, but, in general, I had almost no problems with any headphones, so I did not pay attention to that matter.

The entire conclusion for the top league of headphones: the level was incredibly high, and really left typical headphones of the previous level behind; common features of all tried models were as followed: very low distortion, high dynamics and detailed sound. Purchasing top-class headphones is reasonable not only for listening to music in a socially acceptable manner, but also as a way to look at perceiving your favorite music at a different angle.

Choosing closed earphones

Then I took to the problem number two - choice of earphones for night listening without bothering my wife (for Sennheiser 650 played so loud that you could hear music from another room, and Sennheiser HD800 played even louder). I tried Beyerdynamic 770, their sound was characterized by exaggerated bass but resolution was not high enough, though rather emotional. Then I was offered a Sony CD3000 model, and I was instantly charmed as earphones gave illusion of headphones, and the sound was free and uninhibited, with high detail. I couldn't compare them with Sennheiser HD800 and the other headphones directly as the delight reduced my analytical abilities, and I spent much more than an hour in them, and listened to almost all the disk 3 of Valkyrie by Solti, fragments of Das Rheingold by Dohnanyi, a very nice CD O lusitano of Gerard Lena , The Magic Flute by Klemperer and a pair of albums of King Krimzn, thus, I tested them for getting tired. A zero fatigue, a fit was perfect, in general it was a dream (which is clearly seen in this picture of a happy author in Sony CD3000, thanks for the picture to Serg53), and again it was universal relating to genres.

​

I Immediately started to search for them in the Internet, asked people at the exhibition, and "Oh, the depth of suffering and sea of melancholy! A wonderful building is broken into pieces…"- they turned out to be a vintage hard to get. So I have to continue choosing (unfortunately, I could not find Beyerdynamic T5p as they were used by other visitors of the exhibition, so I'd try to get them at my friends' or go to a hospitable showroom of Doctorhead in Perovo).

Top class portable players

The third task was a portable player of top-class and purchase justifiability. Fortunately, the organizers have put throughout the showroom dozens of Colorful Colorfly C4 PRO. The player turned out to be a bit larger and much more interesting than in the picture. It was a real triumph of steampunk, which allowed feeling a hero of the movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. The control was easy and intuitive. I was walking with it over the show, trying a variety of headphones, and concluded that Colorfly C4 Pro had a level of good stationary source. It was great to play with Beyerdynamic 990, then I connected Sennheiser HD800 to it, and even such a load, in general, was not a problem. Proprietary features of Sennheiser HD800, especially large space of air, were well preserved, only dynamics were simplified a bit and details decreased.

Overall, it was an absolute dream and the first device at the exhibition, which I immediately and unconditionally entered into my wish list. In addition to the utilitarian task of good sound on the road, which can be solved in different ways, from HiFiMan to the units consisting of the source and amplifier port, it is an uncontested matter in a different category as it is an audio device for a gentleman, tired of the new-fangled "gadgets" who loves good, sturdy things, with pleasant tactile sensations from natural materials and high-level design, such as elegant Marfione's or Francesco Pati's products.

Talks with Developers

The fourth task was communication with the developers, which, in this case, was limited to interesting conversations with a respected Energetic (Alexei Samsonov - a representative of EnergyAudio), as at the moment I was more interested in headphones. We discussed several issues relating to his types of Flamenco USB-transport and his work in Windows 7, Alex is always ready to provide a technical support.

As for general trends at the exhibition, I certainly cannot claim generalization to be complete, since most of the time I was listening and did not watch the others, but at first glance, a huge and sustained interest was paid to the Stax stand, which was visited by almost all participants of the exhibition, full of delight from the rare opportunity to compare the sound of different members of the legendary family. Arkhipov's stand was tightly enveloped by those already familiar with his works and eager to clarify the features of sound of a new model with respect to the known. The rest of the visitors smoothly alternated walking over the rooms, listening using interesting models, talking and taking pictures.

When the auditions were over, the all-prize lottery began.

​

A charming presenter awarded some lucky participants Sennheiser keyfobs, some of them got branded caps, and the most successful won Fischer Audio (Consonance, 977 Jazz, SBA-03, FA-10 and FA-11), Sennheiser HD558, and German Maestro 450 headphones . The luckiest's prize was a Sennheiser teddy bear together with a presenter's heart. After awarding the lucky lottery participants, the most erudite got the main prise: quite luxurious headphones Audiotechnika ATH-W5000 sponsored by Blade; it was Victor Khronos, who told the audience what this distinguished company was really involved in its spare time beyond production of headphones. All the rest were given consolation prizes: T-shirts and discounts from Doctorhead stores.

The guests were invited to arrange pleasant impressions in the conversation accompanied by clink of glasses of champagne provided by the organizers.

The meeting participants

Among participating manufacturers I would like to name Arkhipov's stand, which provided sophisticated fans of his work a number of new models (and I hope people better knowing his range of items to tell more about them), and Energetik's (Energy Audio). Energetik made 2 full paths to play music from PC on the basis of his USB transport, formerly known as "Flamenco".

​

The source was a laptop with Foobar2000, transferring signal through asio4all to these USB transports (which can get a signal up to 24 bit 96 kHz or 16-bit 192 kHz via USB, while getting heartbeat of DAC). These models had new full DACs on BB PCM1702 of identical design but with different output stages: classic and according to well-known at the Vegalab layout of Peter Rogov.

​

Peter Rogov's layout is an original circuit of IU converter, which has no CCA circuit on the current DAC output, based on nonstandard use of the op-amp microcircuits with CBT, in which only the input stage and a voltage amplifier is used like a "current conveyor." The advantage of such a solution allows avoiding problems caused by DAC's spurious output capacitance and impulse noise at code change. These circumstances severely degrade the quality of most "traditional" IU converters based on op-amps. Accordingly, using the "Peter Rogov's output" should theoretically improve the "low level" signal (in comparison with standard solutions), and problems of optimal board tracing/wiring are not so critical. The cost of these advantages (in theory again) is somewhat worse (compared with standard solutions) accuracy at signal high levels. In fact, the sound of "Peter Rogov's layout" implemented by Energy Audio seemed subjectively more transparent, lively and pleasant, with plenty of air, and high-level distortions were not seen. DACs, in their turn, were playing at his new headphone amplifiers, in addition, having output SPDIF, were occasionally used as digital sources for other DACs, including, I believe, my PS Audio UltraLink. A good arrangement of Energetik's stand let it serve as a reference stand to try different headphones listening to music material brought into the form of files.

Listeners were represented by almost all the influencers Nibelung, Khronos, Romanrex and many others.

As for audio components, in addition to those already mentioned, the exhibition presented and aroused great interest to headphones Denon D5000, Denon 7000, Grado GS1000, AKG Q701, AKG 3003, Audez'e LCD2, FA SBA-3, Audio-technica SX1a, a range of Beyerdynamic, including T1, T5p, 880 Pro, 770 Pro, Ultrasone Edition 8 Limited, Edition 8 Palladium and a huge number of different models.

A lot of thanks

Once again - many thanks to the exhibition organizers, the company Doctorhead and its employees for a holiday atmosphere, and to sponsors Sennheiser, Fischer Audio, German Maestro and Blade for excellent gifts.

​

It is clear from the preceding report, that the main objectives of the meeting were fully implemented, and impressions of participants were very positive. The organization of the meeting was close to ideal; especially I want to thank Doctorhead's tactful employees, stoically watching their exhibits moving through the show rooms. The only wish for the future is to pay more attention for computer sources, after all, bringing a small flash drive instead of a pile of CDs for testing is much easier. This time I listened to the flash drive only using Energetik's path, all the rest listening was restricted to only disk I had. A possibility to copy my music to the Colorfly C4 Pro only partially corrected the situation: first, a computer was also needed for copying , and secondly, well made USB-SPDIF converter is of more credibility as a digital source, and navigation on the computer is much faster.
Well, the main wish is to have more meetings in the future!

The list of music:

CD:

Bach J.S. - Matthaus-Passion (Gustav Leonhardt) Harmonia Mundi (Classical recording with transcendent quality of execution, good sound engineering, I repeatedly used introductory choir as a test for intelligibility of choirs and instruments at various auditions, aria Bus und Reu was a complex checking for sounding of a voice of a young singer)

Flash-card in the Monkey Audio:

Wagner R. - Die Walkure - Der Ring des Nibelungen -Solti - Decca 455 555-2 (classic recording of Decca and analog stereo golden era, interesting by sounds of great voices (Birgit Nilsson, and the other Valkyries) and the legendary group of Viennese brass Philharmoniker under conduct of Solti, and innovative methods of stereo sound manufacturer John Culshaw, who sought to build "a dream audio theatre" with transfer of stage movements)Wagner R. - Das Rheingold - Dohnanyi - Decca 443690 (digital and very accurate in terms of orchestral playing record of the Cleveland Orchestra; I am indifferent to this interpretation, in contrast to all other tracks, and took it to facilitate the evaluation of purely technical quality of audio paths, getting abstract from the emotional content)

Gérard Lesne, Circa 1500, Nancy Hadden - O Lusitano: Portuguese Vilancetes, Cantigas And Romances - Virgin Veritas - 0777 7590712 4 (recording with my favorite countertenor with a beautiful voice, a test for transfer of subtle shades of emotion and diversity of timbres)
Mozart - Die Zauberflöte - Klemperer - Emi Great Recordings Of The Century - 67385 (Again, the legendary record was used to evaluate the high-pitch female voices (soprano Lucia Popp as the Queen of Night) and to assess the ease of isolation of individual voices of three women (the great singers Christa Ludwig, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Martha Heffgen) at the beginning of the opera)

King Crimson -In the Court of the Crimson King (classical prog-rock album)

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 8

Impressions by "Oxe"

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Probably, some of you think that it's too official to address this way. However, I can't call quality sound lovers any other way. You surely value it if you're reading the review. However, don't be afraid. It was just a greeting. Next, I will write logically, very clearly, and in my own name.
It's known all along that so many men, so many minds. If some people like one thing, it's not necessary for you to like it too. It means that if you want to find something for you, you have to try as many as possible and then choose the one and only option that will make your heart beat. This refers to everything including Sound.
So, it began when I learned of a personal audio lovers meeting. Being a person who likes to listen to and enjoy music often and for hours, I couldn't resist temptation of this happy chance to listen to and evaluate a variety of solutions offered by producers in comfortable conditions. Of course, this might be done in Perovo, but you can rarely find this variety of devices there. Most of the models presented at the meeting are so popular that sold very soon and are not available in stores. I applied to be listed as a meeting participant. Honestly, it was the first time I'd visited such event. Thus, it was very interesting to know what would happen there and how. Later I received an email from Expert Doctorhead about the forthcoming event. Guests with big equipment were invited by 11 am, since they needed time to place it. All other participants were invited by 12 noon or later. The meeting was held in Holiday Inn that is located across the road from Sokolniki subway station.

​

Registration was required to get in the Sound Venue (rooms where equipment was placed). Thus, I came 20 minutes later to avoid the rush. The registration and later the lottery were held by a beautiful woman named Xeniya. No wander, it's known all along that a pretty girl is fundamental to success in any business. The registration process was simple: it was enough to tell them your last name. I don't know about other participants, but I wasn't required to produce my passport. Probably, they thought that if I wasn't in time to see the beginning, they could let in another person since he is interested in the meeting. I'm kidding, of course. So, I received a green badge with white letters on it: October 29, Meeting Fans of Personal Audio, Sokolniki 2011, the first and last names. Unlike other words, the sponsor's logo, Doctorhead personal audio store, was in black in the left upper corner.

​

By the way, it would be better if the nickname was bigger, all the more so that there was enough space for that. Black on green read worse than white. Another famous brand name also found its place. The badge laces were provided by Sennheiser. The Doctorhead representatives had blue badges. It was very comfortable. Everybody immediately knew who would help to solve any problems.

​

After visitors received their badges, they were required to attach paper markers with their initials to the equipment they brought with them. It was necessary to avoid any problems if somebody owned similar models. The last registration step was to put a bit of paper with your first and last names on it into a kinder-surprise egg (a yellow box). I wonder when did they eat the chocolate shells? Did it happen in my absence? I shouldn't be late then. Then Xeniya forwarded the box to a transparent drum to raffle at the end of the meeting.

​

Finally, the registration was finished, and all doors swung open to me... actually there were two doors. The first door hid a room with equipment by young companies Energy Audio from Tula and Purel from St. Petersburg as well as personal devices of some participants. Behind the second door there was a much bigger but not more spacious room with equipment provided by Doctorhead Company mounting the event. Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone, Westone, Phiaton, FOSTEX, STAX, Denon, Grado, Audez'e, and Audio-technica (I'm sorry if I forgot someone). Manufacturers presented their devices too: Fischer Audio, Germany Maestro, Arkhipov's Laboratory, and Laconic. The space was too small, because all the devices must be connected to something, particularly to the Atoll CD players. Each player was connected to several amps. There were also two or three laptops to upload music to a couple of dozens Colorful Colorfly C4 PRO acting as portable sources. I must admit that it was arranged perfectly. All the players stood alone, were mobile and discharged by the end of the meeting only.

​

I, personally, was much interested in headphones represented at the show. Thus, I listened to them and am going to write about them as well. Well, let me start with earbuds. The show makers' idea was that those participants who was going to write some reviews about the meeting would take pictures of the interested devices. However, not surprisingly everybody was much more interested in listening rather than photographing. Therefore, unfortunately, some headphones were neglected by photographers. So, some pictures were taken from the Doctorhead's and munufacturers' websites. I hope next time this point will be thought out better.

​

AKG K3003 is probably the most interesting model. Austrian manufacturers contrived to range a dynamic driver, responsible for low frequencies, and a double balanced armature driver responsible for high and medium frequencies. The earphones are handmade of whole stainless steel. Moreover, it's possible to change filters and increase dominance of low, medium or high frequencies. They also have a passive noise reduction system. As a result, the sound is clear and light; at the same time the bass is deep and detailed. Good attack but not enough for me. Probably, I should try another filter. The only disadvantage I can remember is the width of acoustic line. Thanks to this replaceable filter, it will comfortably fit into average or wide ear canal.

​

Westone UM3X RC have already proved as Universal Monitors three-driver armature headphones with a removable cable. Quality detailed low frequencies, deep for armature headphones bass (mostly midbass and less lowbass), natural mids and detailed highs. Wide dynamic range, fast attack. Very comfortable ear fit, a reliable twisted cable. I would say they are universal and suitable for any music. However, other cans sound more intersting with some music styles.

​

Westone 4 are also know four-driver armature headphones of TrueFit Series: two drivers for low frequencies, one for mids, and one for highs. Despite two drivers for low frequencies, their bass is much more lighter than the UM3X have. However, it's quicker and more dynamic contributing the better attack. Thanks to this,  heavy metal sounds more interesting with these earbuds. On the other hand, all other styles sounded better with the UM3X. The Westone 4 couldn't cope with powerful bass setting the pace for the whole composition. They sit the same way as the UM3X, however the cable is nonremovable.

​

Sennheiser ie8 is another popular model notable for its bass control. The bass was quite deep. However, I wanted to diminish it, but the regulator was in the minimum position already. Warm vocal was clear and detailed; the sound stage was wide, and the sound was integral. As for me, attack wasn't good enough. In heavy music styles, pressure was insufficient. A comfortable, not very deep fit behind the ears. However, it's also possible to put them into ears as usual if you reverse the buds.

​

Fischer Audio SBA-03 is a new model of the Master Series based on a wide-band armature radiator. They appear to be made of metal, however it's just glossy plastic. The bass is deep and quick; the mids are plain and fall a bit in the upper mid. This moves away the vocal and  live instruments making the imaginary stage wider. The treble is not as good. It is friable and short of brightness, sharpness, and extension. The imaginary sound stage is perceived as wide and three dimensional. They perfectly reproduce electronic music. However, classical string instruments don't feature beautiful fading, airiness, and dynamism.

​

Fischer Audio 977 Jazz - have enlarged the Premium line. They stand out due to the combination of metal and wood and remind the Hi-Fi "golden age", the 1950s-1980s). The bass frequencies are warm, solid, and deep. The mids are rich and musical; the highs are tumbled a bit. I don't understand why they are called Jazz. The higher frequencies are not worked out enough for jazz music. Probably, they are called so because of their clear, warm, and non-aggressive sound.

​

Fischer Audio Consonance is another new model of the Fundamentals Series. It is produced in three different colors: standard white, black and... bright red. An interesting form, quality performance, a comfortable fit, and a cable with detailed low frequencies, even superfluous. However, mids are thick, and highs are resonant and soft simultaneously. Details are good, but attack is quite slow; the sound stage is wide but not deep enough.
The representative of Fischer Audio Company Vasily was present at the meeting. He was very kind to answer all questions regarding their headphones. Many thanks to him! It isn't often that you can talk to a representative of one of the biggest headphone companies face to face. By the way, all of the above three models and also FA-010 and FA-011 were raffled at the end of the meeting! Thanks to Fischer Audio for this chance!

​

Here is Vasily wearing the FA-002W headphones, the Fischer Audio's pride. They are based on FA-002, but have cans handmade of different wood. Having enough low frequencies, well detailed midbass but lacking lower bass a bit, accented mids, no sibilants and lisp, detailed and bright high frequencies, wide sound stage, perfect sensitivity and balanced performance with plain common tonal balance, as well as replaceable cups, they can be adjusted for any person. Despite its closed design, you have great feeling of space, transparency and sound purity while listening to them.

​

So, we're smoothly passing from in-ear headphones to the piece de resistance.

​

Sennheiser HD800 are worth of saying about their amazing sound. But at the same time, their sound is highly dependent on the sitting manner as the sound is directed into the ear not straight, but at a slight angle, and is perceived just as a pair of speakers playing in the room. The bass sounds are powerful and deep, accurate and detailed, middle is better than in other headphones I have tried, and high-pitch sounds are crystal and clear. Generally HD800 prove to be very neutral headphones as they neither protrude nor give excess of high, or medium, or low frequencies. However, their sound does not seem to be flat and lifeless, but highly balanced and dynamic. They show excellent effect of presence in the room, wonderful sound and no stiffness at all. The sound image is perfect and balanced, there is no sensation of protrusion of any instrument or voice, and at the same time you can clearly hear each instrument and even determine its location on the stage, but eventually, all these separated in space parties are woven into a single symphony perceived by the ear. Naturalness, lightness, and brightness are the essence of them, the HD800 can transmit subtle nuances, air, and details of sound better than any other model. But to hear all this one should spend plenty of time to fit them correctly, as even a few millimeters to any side fundamentally change the whole picture. I would also note feeling comfortable in the headphones as they are light for their size, and the sound gets out more quietly compared to their closest competitors.

​

Audez'e LCD-2 – it was highly interesting to compare these headphones with Sennheiser HD800, trying them in turn. Being very linear, with a minimum of color in the upper frequencies, they have clear and soft sound details and a very good instrument separation. The bass sounds in them seem lower, but not exaggerated. At the same time, the sound in them seems darker than in the HD800, making heavy music sound more interesting, and other styles also sound nicer and richer, providing more expressiveness. I would say that the HD800 are for those who want to hear every touch and not miss anything, and the Audez'e LCD-2 are intended for those who just want to enjoy soft, warm and rhythmic sounds of favorite tracks for hours. The downside of these headphones is their weight as they are too heavy and anyone would hardly use such headphones in a trip. The headphones fit well and the sound heard outside is not very loud.

​

Sennheiser HD650 – I would say that their sound is of a monitor nature, taut bass, noble medium frequencies, clear alts and no embellished sounds; the bass is quite sufficient. The sound is precise and detailed, but quite dry, sometimes it can show a bit excessive aggression but it only adds positive impression. Acoustic music is not impressing in them as the scene seems to be too narrow, subtle nuances cannot be heard. The headphones fit the head, but at the same time they have fairly rigid earcups and are too tight so I could not bear more than 10 minutes in them.

​

Denon AH-D7000 – in general I would describe their sound as dynamic and impressive. The bass seems brutal; low frequencies have priority and perfectly reproduce singing. Closed headphones represent a stage as wide and large, and the sound is very rich so rock fans will be obviously fond of them.

​

Grado GS1000 – the sound is musical and clear, but at the same time too loud outside the headphones. Energetic, rhythmic bass, accurate and elaborated mid frequencies and open airy highs. The sound is smooth, detailed and deep, has a tremendous dynamics, but may seem a bit dryish compared to the HD800, but in reality it is just a little more realistic. To get the most interesting sounding I have to move headphones a little more forward, instead of positioning them in the center as usual. Rock and metal is not for these headphones; this is probably a destiny of the Audez'e LCD-2 and the Denon AH-D7000, but classical music, jazz and blues is a real pleasure. Yet they perfectly recreate the hall atmosphere, staying behind only the HD800, perhaps.

​

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO – expressive, dynamic and detailed sound, but compared to the HD800 seems a bit muted. The rise is felt in low and high frequencies, but at times sibilants are protruded. The sound is energetic, but the drive lacks, it is fair, but obviously is not for those who like to doze off to music. They fit the head comfortably, neither too heavy, nor too loud outside.

​

Fostex T50RP – have a good volume and separation of instruments, they are not highly elaborating details but the sound is still pleasant. The bass seems to lack depth and the middle should be detailed a bit better. Sometimes they sound boomy and worsen detailing, and the highs lack, but the sound is still warm and cozy; it‘s interesting to try the headphones, but I think that really a few will fall in love with their sound, but at once and forever. This is the main merit of isodynamic drivers made using a row of patents.

​

German Maestro GMP 450 pleased with a very natural sound and exact playing: quite powerful and deep bass, smooth mids and inflated highs, good detailing, and instruments are clearly distinguished from each other even in complex compositions. The only drawback is that live recordings do not sound as airy as we would like, but this is a consequence of closed design. In general, any kind of music sounds very nice, but for listening to heavy music one should look for something giving more pressure, and live music requires headphones of open design.

​

By the way, these headphones were provided as one of the prizes by the sponsor German Maestro, and their representative was present at the meeting.

​

STAX – These headphones are professional and they work only via an amplifier with a special connector. I will not write much about them, except to say that they have clarity and precision unreachable by the rest models. Fans of acoustic instruments, classical music, jazz and blues will be incomparably delighted.

​

STAX SR-009 were everyone's favorite at the meeting. The sound is deep, tight, well-balanced and crystal clear, detailed, less bright than in the STAX 507, but it has a large energy and power. In general, I would describe their sound as pleasant and soft.

​

But these are well-known models and famous manufacturers. Wasn’t there anything new, not widely known hitherto? It was! At the meeting I first got acquainted with the headphones of Phiaton Company.

​

Phiaton 500 – at once come to the front thanks to unusual design, as the cups are covered with genuine leather imitating snake. A soft headband fits comfortable, the design is closed. I was comparing the sound with the long-established universal model M50 of Audio-technica. The lower bass was substituted mostly with mid bass, but it was elaborated so well that it kept the time and increased the sense of drive better than the M50, mid frequencies presented clear sound and no roughness in the highs. The headphones seemed to be very interesting, heavy music is the only thing they shouldn’t present as actual absence of lower bass makes creating proper pressure impossible. As for other styles, they may compete with the M50 quite well and which of them sound more exactly is of no importance as the main thing is which give more interesting sounding.

​

Phiaton 400 – A later model is standing out for a lot of red color in the headband and ear-cushions. A serious man is unlikely to go out with them on; this model may fit some eccentric individuals. They are to be a good present for a young girl though. As for its sound, this model obtains less deep voice, gives impression of a little embellished mid frequencies with little sibilance, and highs are a little less developed. I would say that sounding of these headphones is also more suitable for girls, as it is beautiful, without boomy bass and rough highs, and some young men may also be interested in them.

​

Phiaton 320 – This model doesn’t look catchy compared with older ones. But who would have thought of array of two dynamic drivers for the low and high frequencies respectively, working through a passive crossover in such small cups? Previously, that was used only in in-ear headphones, but certainly not in the headphones. The bass is taut, but lacks volume, the mids are soft, well elaborated, and the highs are over-emphasized.  The scene is broad and large related to their closed design. They fit the head comfortable and tight, may be folded if necessary, and are quite light. I think they would be a good choice for fans of portable overhead headphones.

​

Another interesting device were headphones Marshal Major – brought by one of the participants; they are distinguished for unusual shape of cups. They are square, and it causes unusual pressure in the upper part of the ear, but one gets used to it quickly thanks to very soft ear cushions. As a consequence, the one-way isolation allows hearing what is happening outside, but the music from the headphones is not heard to others. As for sound, high frequencies range seems to be protruded but the atmosphere, ambience and lively music are represented well. In general, the headphones are very interesting as a contrast to soft ones of AKG and Sennheiser.

​

I did not notice five hours to flow away while listening. It was a pity, because I would like to try more and more models. And besides that it was possible to exchange opinions with other participants of the meeting, as truth should be born in arguments, so the possibility of communication and discussion was even more important than long and hard trying alone. The following manufacturers and representatives of German Maestro, Fischer audio, Energy Audio, Archipov, s Laboratory, Laconic, Purel were present at the meeting. During the meeting there was a small table with drinks as coffee, tea, water or juice and snacks in the hall. I was so fascinated with the process of trying headphones that I didn’t have any snack.

​

I did not stay long in the second room with equipment of start-up companies and personal equipment of some of the participants.

​

The stand of Energetik (I always wanted to call him Electronic) was distinguished with atmosphere of calm and comfort, reigning around it; everything was arranged neatly, giving enough space for comfortable trying, neither obstructions nor piles around the place. Transparent acrylic cases of product range of Energy Audio also contributed to attractiveness. Technical aspects were not my forte; I wouldn’t try to describe them so you’d better ask Energetik about them at the following meeting. Energy Audio HEAD AMP M3 mod A sounded neutral, in other words, the exact player’s stuff was heard. As for audio, I was affected by detail, clarity and depth of the stage, as if it were a live concert.

Electro… sorry, Energetik
 ​

​

My attention was attracted with small shiny metal boxes which turned out to be amplifiers of Purel, issuing a very grown-up sound, unexpected from such little ones, especially performed by a new company. Keep it up! Hope to see ready samples instead of prototypes at the next meeting!

​

They are Purel representatives

​

I spent some time at Arkhipov’s stand. DAC 1541 + Ultra Dual Keno pleased with vividness and terrific volume of sound, width of stage and precise positioning of instruments in space. Lower frequencies seemed somewhat enhanced compared to the rest of the band. In comparison with the DAC56, the sound of the latter was more down to earth, so the relief and volume I liked were less noticeable.

​

Sergey Arkhipov was demonstrating the width of stage presented in the DAC 1541:

​

Laconic amplifiers were put here and there over the room: the Laconic Lunch BOX HA-06 PRO, the Laconic Night Blues and a new model based on the model EC-01, the manufacturer told us, that the company employees called it "Crazy Mouse" for its unusual design.

​

Laconic Lunch BOX HA-06 PRO – pleased with comfortable and expressive sound, energetic, but unobtrusive, resolution was slightly reduced in the highs, but it seemed to be a feature of soft tube limit and a feeling of a little blurred bass, but the entire picture was very good, detailing, depth was equally well with headphones of different impedance.

​

Laconic Night Blues – presented smooth tonal balance, highly detailed, very well elaborated bass and midbass, in particular, presentation of entire piece, and as a result, a great neutral amplifier, introducing no significant embellishments in music.

​

New Laconic EC-01 – The user Alexander noted in the Doctorhead forum, that a new device resembled the robot WALL-E a bit, didn’t it?

​

The representative of Laconic also attended the meeting, but concealed his presence from the public (see the badge in the photo).

​

At about 5:15 pm all-prize lottery started. Novel (aka Romanrex) was taking out sponsored prizes. Xenia was spinning the drum and getting out kinder-surprise eggs. The first lucky ones received special metal key chains from Sennheiser.

​

Being hung on the player bag, they improved the sound clarity, but only in brand headphones! 

​

Then it was turn of caps of the same name wearing which you should hear the Sennheiser headphones sound even better! Do not believe me? Come next time, win and see for yourself!

​

Then bears were the next series of awards.  White bears in blue T-shirts with the inscription Sennheiser were to be presented to wives or girlfriends to reach harmony and comfort in the family life.

​

Well, the headphones were the next. The first lucky winner got the aforementioned Fischer Audio Consonance.

​

The next winner received the Fischer Audio 977 Jazz

​

The next three winners got a new model of Fischer Audio and the already mentioned Fischer Audio SBA-03.

​

I was lucky to get the Fischer Audio 011, rather interesting headphones, I should admit, though after a little modification.

​

Then the Fischer Audio 010 were presented

​

The Sennheiser HD558 took the 3rd place…

​

The described above German Maestro 450 were the 2nd prize

​

Well, Victor Kronos was awarded the 1st place and Grand Prix for a correct answer to the question, „What other production is company Audio-technica going to become famous for?“ You can get the correct answer at their website. Frankly speaking, I did not expect it myself. The prize were wonderful headphones Audio-technica W5000. Thanks to sponsor Blade for such a valuable prize, and I hope that he would also take sponsorship at the next meeting.

And yet, besides the aforementioned prizes, all the guests got branded blue or black T-shirts with large inscription «around your head» on the back matching the size from the most active organizer, the store Doctorhead and 7% discount cards for all products.

​

Together with a clink of glasses of champagne it struck 7 p.m., and the participants slowly began to leave. The organizers and the participants who brought their equipment, started to collect and pack all the wonders of technology that until recently were in active use, borne admire, made the heart beat faster or, vice versa, sink into the depths of symphonies with closed eyes.
I am finishing my description of the meeting of personal audio lovers held on October 29, 2011. We again and again thank employees of the store Doctorhead for their titanic work on organizing that wonderful event, some of whom had come to the meeting even from the St. Petersburg branch, hope you were also interested to talk with us. Many thanks to all sponsors: Sennheiser, Fischer Audio, Germany Maestro, Blade and, of course, the store Doctorhead as thanks to all of them memories of the meeting would last long. I hope this is not the last meeting, because we always meet some new products, but at the same time old products do not vanish into thin air but stay with us.
The Sound world is filled with leisure 
Headphones passing in chain of years,
They give us joy together with pleasure
And hope, it will be so forever

Do remember that even Putin likes personal audio!

​

Some notes for the following meeting:
1. Give more time for trying headphones as 7 hours are too short, and an hour and a half were spent for a competition and the lottery… There were a lot of interesting models I did not manage to try, nothing to say of interesting discussions and communication. What about a couple of days for the event next time?
2. It would be perfect if the audio developers of companies Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone, Westone, Phiaton, FOSTEX, STAX, Denon, Grado, Audez'e, and Audio-technica would be present together with their products at the meeting to make it more effective.
3. There were paper badges on all the items and in some of them only the company name was written without the model so every now and then we had to ask the show organizers about the models. It was quite easy though.

4. Before opening the meeting make big pictures of all the given models, as many of the models were ignored by the photographers.
5. I would like to see and try middle-priced models.
6. Nicknames on the badges should be written in a larger font, maybe not black to read them easier.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Very nice event, thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys took the plank to the pretty high level, but kept nice and cosy, good choice to do this way.

Keep your ears warm!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 8

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Pics are great, but I see lots of the same, so, you may want to make an re-check.

I hope other members will jump in and share their thoughts about gear.

THX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back