Rush reccomendations...
Jan 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 21
They're all good up to the 90s IMO, then it's hit or miss, but if you want to sample their different sounds, I'd get:

- Permanent Waves
- Grace Under Pressure
- Snakes And Arrows

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #19 of 21
Saw 2112 live when it came out. Still remember that concert well. Next I saw them play Hemispheres. Their 1st album has some great songs. Working Man is the first hit on the 1st album. If you were a fan in the 70s you could play it on the guitar and impress your friends. They did not have Neil Pert as their drummer then. Anything before Permanent Waves is almost essential. I have Exit Stage Left and remember it but have not heard it for awhile. That is their other early live album. I have read that there are some different issues of Exit Stage Left. The 1st CD issue does not contain all the songs of the original LP. I think it is missing Passage To Bangkok and you have to have that live! Rush has to be one of the greatest of all. They were one of the best bands to see live in the late 70s. I like their sound of 90s music but have never felt it had the magic of the first albums. 2112 has to be the one record you can just play over and over. No one had all the drums like Neil Pert did live. He would play weird chimes and gongs which were recorded into the studio albums. Seeing it live was another thing all to itself. With every concert then they had huge spotlights behind them and at certain times they would all go on and almost blind everyone. It was so bright. No one had stuff like that!

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As many have suggested, Permanent Waves would be the next logical step, although you might also want to give Signals a try also.

yes, i've given signals a listen i enjoy that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back