Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Dec 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #107 of 522
Interesting development. I have been speaking to the guys at Russ Andrews: http://www.russandrews.com/us/

They are working on a DC power supply for the RNHP (They are a UK distributor for the amp) which they hope will squeeze even more sound quality out of this little monster. More updates when I get more info. 

Their power supplies seem to range from $100 to $300. I know Neve selected the wall wart for this amp but looking at the dinky thing, its hard to imagine that this is the best power supply sound wise that we can get. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #108 of 522
  Interesting development. I have been speaking to the guys at Russ Andrews: http://www.russandrews.com/us/

They are working on a DC power supply for the RNHP (They are a UK distributor for the amp) which they hope will squeeze even more sound quality out of this little monster. More updates when I get more info. 

Their power supplies seem to range from $100 to $300. I know Neve selected the wall wart for this amp but looking at the dinky thing, its hard to imagine that this is the best power supply sound wise that we can get.

Seems to me that Neve would provide the best power supply available, within a given price range. They've been dealing with 24vdc systems for a long, long time. Russ Andrews seems to have not even attempted a 24vdc system 'till now. Where have they been? 24vdc is, and has been, the professional standard for decades.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #109 of 522
  Seems to me that Neve would provide the best power supply available, within a given price range. They've been dealing with 24vdc systems for a long, long time. Russ Andrews seems to have not even attempted a 24vdc system 'till now. Where have they been? 24vdc is, and has been, the professional standard for decades.

Not sure what you mean. Russ Andrews makes this which is available in a 24vDC version: http://www.russandrews.com/us/powerpak-pro-dc-power-supply-18969990000/

What I'm speaking about is a power supply created specifically for the RNHP since they are a UK distributor for the product. While the stock supply is probably very good, it was selected to meet a certain price point. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #110 of 522
Not sure what you mean. Russ Andrews makes this which is available in a 24vDC version: http://www.russandrews.com/us/powerpak-pro-dc-power-supply-18969990000/

What I'm speaking about is a power supply created specifically for the RNHP since they are a UK distributor for the product. While the stock supply is probably very good, it was selected to meet a certain price point. 

Didn't see that product when I looked. Why not just use that for the Neve - or is the watt/amp range wrong?

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #111 of 522
It seems an unlikely pairing however I heard the RNHP today at a headfi meet w/ my Utopias and was impressed enough to order one.  Ambiance was a bit noisy at the meet so I'll not be able to give a really good impression until I have the RNHP at home.  It's humble case work may disguise a really great amp.  

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #112 of 522
  It seems an unlikely pairing however I heard the RNHP today at a headfi meet w/ my Utopias and was impressed enough to order one.  Ambiance was a bit noisy at the meet so I'll not be able to give a really good impression until I have the RNHP at home.  It's humble case work may disguise a really great amp.  

I actually love the humble casework. It matches well with my Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro's and my very utilitarian looking Tascam CD200. But yes, the RNHP is a shockingly good amp.

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #113 of 522
So after some testing, I concluded that this amp sounds better plugged straight into the wall rather than into a surge protector / conditioner. I picked up a Panamax conditioner that was 50% off at Best Buy, seemed to good too pass up but after a few days of listening, I just felt like some sparkle was missing from the sound. My RNHP/Mimby combo had such much bite before but plugged into the Panamax, I don't know, it just felt a little dull, that bite was gone. The bass did seem to reach a bit deeper but the impact was also dulled ever so slightly. Anyways, I'm going to return the conditioner and pick up either the old Wiremold Naim strips or the Emotiva CMX6. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #114 of 522
  So after some testing, I concluded that this amp sounds better plugged straight into the wall rather than into a surge protector / conditioner. I picked up a Panamax conditioner that was 50% off at Best Buy, seemed to good too pass up but after a few days of listening, I just felt like some sparkle was missing from the sound. My RNHP/Mimby combo had such much bite before but plugged into the Panamax, I don't know, it just felt a little dull, that bite was gone. The bass did seem to reach a bit deeper but the impact was also dulled ever so slightly. Anyways, I'm going to return the conditioner and pick up either the old Wiremold Naim strips or the Emotive CMX6. 

That's quite common. Common surge protectors have MOV's (look it up) which can act to make the audio quality worse. I have one by Brickwall that uses no MOV's and it sounds great. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #115 of 522
Do you have a link to the strip you use

That's quite common. Common surge protectors have MOV's (look it up) which can act to make the audio quality worse. I have one by Brickwall that uses no MOV's and it sounds great. 

Do you have a link to the Brickwall strip you use? The two strips I'm looking at hover around $100. The Wiremold is just a power strip, no switch, no MOV's, just sockets, Naim was recommending them back in the day before the fancy strips started coming out. The CMX6 is just an EMI/RFI filer and sockets, no MOV's either. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #116 of 522
  Do you have a link to the strip you use

Do you have a link to the Brickwall strip you use? The two strips I'm looking at hover around $100. The Wiremold is just a power strip, no switch, no MOV's, just sockets, Naim was recommending them back in the day before the fancy strips started coming out. The CMX6 is just an EMI/RFI filer and sockets, no MOV's either. 

This is the one I use: https://goo.gl/PWSOe0

Be sure to get the model that has AUD in the model number as those are optimized for audio. The main difference being each outlet is separated from each other. 

BTW, Jude uses these as well. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #117 of 522

This is the one I use: https://goo.gl/PWSOe0

Be sure to get the model that has AUD in the model number as those are optimized for audio. The main difference being each outlet is separated from each other. 

BTW, Jude uses these as well. 

Sold. I'm going to save my pennies for one of these and roll the dice on unprotected wall power till I get it. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #118 of 522
Hello everyone.
I am looking to a new headphone amp in future and the RNHP is among my considerations, alongside:
  1. Cavalli Liquid Carbon
  2. Schiit Jotunheim
  3. Chord Mojo (or it first and then supplement it  later with the RNHP/Liquid Carbon as amps)

Although I have seen some of these amps mentioned, I don't feel they have been compared.
I'll probably be using them with 'professional' equipment like the ATH-R70x and ER4s. But I am more so to future-proof for coming purchases (also in terms of power).

Also I am wondering why the RNHP has not 'taken off' considering the name and apparent measurable performance.

Thanks everyone.
-TheDreamthinker

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #119 of 522
  Hello everyone.
I am looking to a new headphone amp in future and the RNHP is among my considerations, alongside:
  1. Cavalli Liquid Carbon
  2. Schiit Jotunheim
  3. Chord Mojo (or it first and then supplement it  later with the RNHP/Liquid Carbon as amps)

Although I have seen some of these amps mentioned, I don't feel they have been compared.
I'll probably be using them with 'professional' equipment like the ATH-R70x and ER4s. But I am more so to future-proof for coming purchases (also in terms of power).

Also I am wondering why the RNHP has not 'taken off' considering the name and apparent measurable performance.

Thanks everyone.
-TheDreamthinker

RNHP is an excellent choice - sonic quality has less to do with power (or lack thereof) and more to do with accuracy. There were some design decisions (I assume) made to ensure the RNHP would be accurate through a number of different headphones. I quite enjoy it on planars, such as EL8, or easy dynamics such as Utopia and Grado PS1000e. However on something which expects a tremendous quantity of voltage, such as HD650, the bass can sound somewhat muted. The bass is there - however, the design was more aimed at speed and accuracy - not the typical tube voltage swing, intended for high impedance. It should be an excellent match for your studio headphones, however it may provide a slightly different sonic than what you expect in your future purchases.

Jotuheim is also a good choice. However I think it may err, depending on your listening taste, on the opposite site of the spectrum. It quite wants to swing lots of voltage and current, such that it may be a better match for the darker HD650 than it is for the brighter HD600. Jot sounds best when it has been running for a while. It is also not quite as linear, to my ears, as the sound pans from left to right. RNHP is much more precise in imaging.

Mojo is an excellent DAC, and a fairly good amp depending on what you are trying to drive. It does not have the same dampened sound through the HD650 as the RNHP, nor the lively (some would call aggressive) sound as from the Jot. It has plenty of power, meaning volume - yet it still may not satisfy in comparison to a dedicated amplifier. I have been happy through EL8. But even through Utopia, somewhat comparable to a studio headphone, my ears much prefer a true amplifier, like the RNHP.

::

And I forgot about the Carbon. In my smaller setup, I actually switch between Jot and Carbon. Though I would not equate the two, these do similar things in quite a different manner. They both provide a clean, clear, well-defined soundstage. The Carbon is a little more reigned in than the RNHP, preferring to allow the listener to hone in on the sound, creating treble in a more subtle manner. It is lovely, but may not initially grab the listener - its sound grows on you over time. The RNHP is immediately clear and precise - the clarity surprises you over longer time. The expectation with something like the RNHP is that it would fatigue the listener over time, but I find it does not. The expectation of the Carbon is perhaps a muted and boring sound - but I find it too does not remain this way, becoming musical and amazing the longer I listen. Over time spent with each, I find these both charming.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #120 of 522
  RNHP is an excellent choice - sonic quality has less to do with power (or lack thereof) and more to do with accuracy. There were some design decisions (I assume) made to ensure the RNHP would be accurate through a number of different headphones. I quite enjoy it on planars, such as EL8, or easy dynamics such as Utopia and Grado PS1000e. However on something which expects a tremendous quantity of voltage, such as HD650, the bass can sound somewhat muted. The bass is there - however, the design was more aimed at speed and accuracy - not the typical tube voltage swing, intended for high impedance. It should be an excellent match for your studio headphones, however it may provide a slightly different sonic than what you expect in your future purchases.

Jotuheim is also a good choice. However I think it may err, depending on your listening taste, on the opposite site of the spectrum. It quite wants to swing lots of voltage and current, such that it may be a better match for the darker HD650 than it is for the brighter HD600. Jot sounds best when it has been running for a while. It is also not quite as linear, to my ears, as the sound pans from left to right. RNHP is much more precise in imaging.

Mojo is an excellent DAC, and a fairly good amp depending on what you are trying to drive. It does not have the same dampened sound through the HD650 as the RNHP, nor the lively (some would call aggressive) sound as from the Jot. It has plenty of power, meaning volume - yet it still may not satisfy in comparison to a dedicated amplifier. I have been happy through EL8. But even through Utopia, somewhat comparable to a studio headphone, my ears much prefer a true amplifier, like the RNHP.

::

And I forgot about the Carbon. In my smaller setup, I actually switch between Jot and Carbon. Though I would not equate the two, these do similar things in quite a different manner. They both provide a clean, clear, well-defined soundstage. The Carbon is a little more reigned in than the RNHP, preferring to allow the listener to hone in on the sound, creating treble in a more subtle manner. It is lovely, but may not initially grab the listener - its sound grows on you over time. The RNHP is immediately clear and precise - the clarity surprises you over longer time. The expectation with something like the RNHP is that it would fatigue the listener over time, but I find it does not. The expectation of the Carbon is perhaps a muted and boring sound - but I find it too does not remain this way, becoming musical and amazing the longer I listen. Over time spent with each, I find these both charming.

Thanks, mate. This is much more information than I would have expected.

I have been in this hobby for quite a while, but was never compelled to go for a 'proper' home audiophile system, mainly because I am mostly on the move. 
But I am about to purchase an ATH-R70x, which at 470 Ohm is more than my portable amp (Meier Corda 3Move) can probably handle for home use. I am somewhat of a Grado fan, but they are generally not hard to drive.

I am aware that power is not equated with intrinsic good quality. But at the same time I tend to prefer one-to-rule (or two) them all. 

For me speed (and treble) is always of paramount importance (ER4s user here
wink.gif
). It seems to me that from your accounts. in terms of speed:
RNHP < Mojo < Jotunheim < Liquid Carbon

From what I have heard, all Cavalli amps are considered powerful, but somewhat dark for solid states.
I might also maybe go out and first buy a Mojo and use it until the time comes where I genuinely need something more powerful. And the consider one of the other three.

I also read that the RNHP does not play well with sensitive (c)IEMs. Is that true or are that mainly faulty units?
It really astonishes me that this amp has almost no discussion base here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back