Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Aug 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #37 of 522
  Indeed. In the meanwhile, I just sent an email to RND with some basic questions regarding circuitry and stuff, hopefully they would respond.

Let us know what they say. I'm very curious about this amp. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #38 of 522
Call me shallow, but I love the looks of this amp, the red volume dial and the green input LED's are gorgeous, not that interested in the "brutal honest sound" though...

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #39 of 522
Call me shallow, but I love the looks of this amp, the red volume dial and the green input LED's are gorgeous, not that interested in the "brutal honest sound" though...

I think Im the one that called the amp 'brutally honest on my source material'.

A slight caveat - previously I had only ever heard hybrid tube amps so the conversion to solid state took some getting used to. The 'brutally honest' statement was made after first impressions only and since then, I believe the amp has rounded into a nicely balanced sound signature. Very resolving, and to my ears, very neutral.

At its price point, I think the RNHP offers great value and performance.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #40 of 522
Having spent some time with my RNHP. I can positively say it is not harsh at all, if anyone is concerned about "brutally honest" being "just horrible to listen to", it is totally untrue.
It is so far very musical paired with my Mojo feeding it and have improved the headphone out of the Mojo without any big noticeable changes to the source sound signature.

The amp is neutral no doubt but also very natural sounding, compared to the Mojo's headphone out it just drives them with better texture and realism to my surprise.

This might just be Mojo in the dedicated headphone amp world, with the finest feeling volume knob EVER.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #42 of 522
  Having spent some time with my RNHP. I can positively say it is not harsh at all, if anyone is concerned about "brutally honest" being "just horrible to listen to", it is totally untrue.
It is so far very musical paired with my Mojo feeding it and have improved the headphone out of the Mojo without any big noticeable changes to the source sound signature.

The amp is neutral no doubt but also very natural sounding, compared to the Mojo's headphone out it just drives them with better texture and realism to my surprise.

This might just be Mojo in the dedicated headphone amp world, with the finest feeling volume knob EVER.

How musical is it? Would you say it tends more towards a bright sound signature, or dark? Hows the bass?

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #43 of 522
Let us know what they say. I'm very curious about this amp. 

Thanks for your interest in the RNHP. The RNHP was developed with the idea of it being used for “enjoyment” as well as recording / mixing. The key aspect to the RNHP’s sound is that it combines extremely low output impedance to minimize the effect of high headphone reactivity, with very low noise, and distortion, along with a wide bandwidth (beyond 10Hz -100K) and high headroom.

It uses a mixture of discrete components and high quality IC’s biased Class-A

It uses minimal negative feedback

We don’t have a published damping factor spec, but the output impedance is extremely low, which leads to a very high damping factor:
0.08 ohm @1kHz with 24 ohm load

0.19 ohm @20Hz with 24 ohm load

0.08 ohm @ 1kHz with 43 ohm load
0.16 ohm @20Hz with 43 ohm load

0.08 ohm @1kHz with 68 ohm load (Same for 150 ohm load)

0.15 ohm @20Hz with 68 ohm load (Same for 150 ohm load)

It has the highest grade electrolytic audio caps for coupling. We evaluated the current design against a design using a bi-polar supply (no caps needed) and found no detriment with the use of the caps though. We actually started off designing a discrete, class-A design with bi-polar power, and we ended up liking the current RNHP design every bit as much in both listening and measurements. Since a discrete design with bi-polar power would probably cost around three times as much and double the size, it was a pretty easy decision which design to build.

(from Tristan Rhodes @ RND)

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #44 of 522
My own two cents so to speak...

A very, very good, head amp which as one of the previous poster stated is brutally honest though not sure I'd go that far...

Let's just say very accurate & very hard to beat for the value but then, pro grade audio gear is generally more affordable & worth a lot more than consumer audio gear but then this is just my humble opinion. Suffice to say I am really enjoying this amp & compliments my system very well...so well worth it.

I can say this as I have both pro and consumer gear & sound monitoring is a semi serious hobby.

Also, in terms of the good old wall wart for those who are interested, if you change the pin connectors on the stock adapter (which should come with the adapter), the voltage changes to the correct voltage as there is a built in switch which converts with the correct pins. My RNHP is from the US so I can attest the adapter with the pins switched out supports to 220 to 240 volts.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #45 of 522
Hello all,
Thanks a lot for all this feedbacks. It seems very interesting... I am actually a happy possessor of an audeze LCD 2f. I am looking to a nice amp, dac or dac-amp to replace my old vdac 2 and my matrix m-stage. I have actually on my shortlist a Burson soloist, a violetric v200 (used) or other good ref amplifier.

Do you think that the RNHP has sufficient power to drive correctly my headphone?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Envoyé de mon SM-N910F en utilisant Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back