Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #347 of 523
I own the RNHP and it’s a fine amp. Actually it’s a great amp for the money. I think what we see here is Rupert Neve Designs has a great success with the RNHP and this is their attempt to appeal to the Audiofools. Look st the insides of both units they look the same. There are two builds of the RNHP, is the latter simply the Fidelice with its better case and wood trim? I have enjoyed the Nevebut honestly if you are going to spend that much buy the Quicksilver That’s an amp that is worth every penny

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #348 of 523
I own the RNHP and it’s a fine amp. Actually it’s a great amp for the money. I think what we see here is Rupert Neve Designs has a great success with the RNHP and this is their attempt to appeal to the Audiofools. Look st the insides of both units they look the same. There are two builds of the RNHP, is the latter simply the Fidelice with its better case and wood trim? I have enjoyed the Nevebut honestly if you are going to spend that much buy the Quicksilver That’s an amp that is worth every penny
I also own the RNHP and it is a fine amp as you said. I’m sure the Fidelice is very good also. Actually, it better be great for $1200.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #350 of 523
Sorry, this was mentioned and talked about in another thread. But, $700 more than the regular version. Can this be justified? Looks like the same amp just in a different case. Don’t know what’s under the hood. Has to be better for $700 more I would assume.
It's called "gilding the lily" or "a rose by any other name would be as sweet".

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #351 of 523
I just got the RNHP for my birthday this weekend and had a little time to compare it to the Schiit Magni 3 before giving it to my wife to wrap as a present. Thin and narrow absolutely does not describe the RNHP, it actually describes the Magni 3 when compared to the RNHP. The Neve is warmer sounding, with significantly more punch (dynamics) in the lower registers. I played some classical orchestral music while switching between the two and the image closed down dramatically on the Schiit. Zeos Pantera of Z reviews even made a passing comment when reviewing the Neve that he felt it had more soundstage than the THX AAA 789. These were all surprising findings for me, since I generally attribute thinness to most IC based amps, but in this case I verified the findings myself.

I have same experiece between Magni 3 and RNHP, Magni soundstage is very boxy and thin compared to RNHP from RME ADI-2 fs. Vocals on RNHP are mind blowing, highs are silky smooth and overall presentation dynamic as one can get, pure cream. Magni highs sound very unmatured compared to RNHP and overall a much less natural. Only Magni is a bit more musical and harmonic and relaxed, more easy to have longer sessions. With RNHP ears get a bit tired in few hours, because it is super clean!

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #353 of 523
I own the RNHP as well as the Drop THX AAA 789 and use Audio Technica ATH-R70X headphones, I also use AKG K271 MK2 . Sources are CD via Quad Artera Play CD / DAC as well as Hard Drive rips via Roon using a Mac mini as network storage and for the Roon core with an iMac as the Roon Endpoint connected to the DAC via USB. Interconnects are Balanced XLR into either of the two amps. I find the THX to be the more musical of the two amps with better weight and scale. The RNHP I would describe as an overall flatter sound with a slightly brighter disposition and definitely a more 'Studio' oriented sound. The ATH-R70X is just the warmer side of neutral so in my opinion perfectly compliments the sound of either of these amps. Being a 470 ohm load the ATH-R70x falls right into the sweet spot for the RNHP to give of its best whereas despite on paper being an easier headphone to drive,the AKG was a positive mismatch for the RNHP and sounds brittle and very constrained. The THX on the other hand is a monster and can drive either headphone very easily. So I wouldn't recommend either amp over the other but I would suggest that a very careful selection of headphone is needed to get the best out the RNHP.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #354 of 523
I have AKG K812, but with Sonarworks Reference software only, which will flatten the tune perfectly. And sorry, i meant SSL of course. I'm adding some 4K effect to RNHP and it is bringing 'life' to sound that is a much more pleasant.

I think in audiophile it is all about the combo anyway. No single effect will ever do the trick in mixing/mastering music anyway. It's all about combo of different tools to get final result.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #357 of 523
My RNHP just arrived.. Really look forward to putting it though its pace with my Denon AH-D9200 and a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 cable, fed by my FiiO M15 line-out... The D9200 are 24ohm and 105db/Mw... Having spotted a comment early in this thread that the RNHP matches exceptionally well with low impedance headphones, I have high hopes for this combination... 🍀🔥

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #358 of 523
My RNHP just arrived.. Really look forward to putting it though its pace with my Denon AH-D9200 and a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 cable, fed by my FiiO M15 line-out... The D9200 are 24ohm and 105db/Mw... Having spotted a comment early in this thread that the RNHP matches exceptionally well with low impedance headphones, I have high hopes for this combination... 🍀🔥
I had one and sold it but thinking about getting another one. I kind of miss it :)

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #359 of 523
The RNHP I would describe as an overall flatter sound with a slightly brighter disposition and definitely a more 'Studio' oriented sound.

The RNHP is a touch dry + analytical @neutral.
The soundstage is not particularly wide.
Works well with headphones that have too much bass or too much "V" shape or too much treble energy, such as the AT-MSR7.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #360 of 523
"""Rupert Neve Designs spec'd the RNHP with near-zero-ohm output impedance to minimize frequency-based reactive-load impedance shifts - a problem unique to headphone monitoring. This ensures accurate sound reproduction, which is obviously important if you need to trust the decisions you make with headphones. You'll find the RNHP's unerring accuracy beneficial when you're using just one set of cans, and also when you're comparing a mix on multiple pairs of headphones."""""

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back