Running Shoe-Fi
Mar 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #46 of 83
I am surprised so many people buy their shoes online based on reviews of others or looks. In the case of running shoes, it seems that you have to go in and try them on and see what fits your foot and your running style. I do understand if you don't have a local running shoe store.

Asic, Brooks, Nike, Mizuno, NB all make great running shoes, but my feet like Brooks. The Addiction specifically. I pronate, so they make up for that. I realize there are other shoes for pronation, but for me the Asic is too narrow in the heal, but a lot of people like that, because their heel doesn't slip. Asic still makes a great shoe, but they just don't fit me as well as Brooks.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkevo25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Adidas Microbounce+ that I bought a year ago. I'm dissatisfied though. They are too performance oriented and have no comfort or control what so ever

I have wondered about the Microbounce. Your experience reads similar to mine with Nike Shox TL. While durable, they weren't very good for running. I"m a neutral runner and still rolled my ankle consistently on the slightest uneven surface. Ugh, it will take a-lot for me tor try SHOX again for any type of running.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised so many people buy their shoes online based on reviews of others or looks. In the case of running shoes, it seems that you have to go in and try them on and see what fits your foot and your running style. I do understand if you don't have a local running shoe store.

Asic, Brooks, Nike, Mizuno, NB all make great running shoes, but my feet like Brooks. The Addiction specifically. I pronate, so they make up for that. I realize there are other shoes for pronation, but for me the Asic is too narrow in the heal, but a lot of people like that, because their heel doesn't slip. Asic still makes a great shoe, but they just don't fit me as well as Brooks.

believe me..i tried like 10 shoes before i finalised...there were shoes with flatter softer soles, some were too stiff while the sole was good for running, some were too heavy..and some even though overall perfect for running..looked very average .. i figured while running they would be a disadvantage.

wanted some which are great for running, adequately comfortable and look good when worn for casual purposes.

i finalized on the Adidas Boost. (pics posted on previous page)

Microbounce is great for running but for walking they are too stiff ......and the front is also semi-hollow like the back hence dont give a solid firm footing.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #50 of 83
Anyone have a pair of the Vivo Barefoots? They're probably not ideal for running, but I might go for them for everyday use. I've been very intrigued about the barefooting idea since I found this thread just yesterday. I've been meaning to get back into running but now I don't want to start until I get a pair of Vibrams.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #51 of 83
I just bought a pair of shoes online for the first time. I went with New Balance shoes, since I've used New Balance shoes constantly for the last six or eight years. I'm a huge believer in try before you buy, but there was no way for me to conveniently get out to a shoe store right now. Hopefully they'll fit well, all my previous NBs did.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #52 of 83
I've also bought a pair of Newbs online, I think from Zappos. Only reason is the color scheme I wanted wasn't available in any local stores. Quite happy with them, wearing them as I type. That said, I already had the same model in different colors, so I knew they fit my feet well.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #53 of 83
Zappos is by far the best online site I've found for shoes. not only are their prices great, but for me its next day delivery, I guess I'm near a distribution center or something

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #54 of 83
I see no reason why one would feel defensive where shopping online or reading reviews are concerned. First, I would assume that most participating in the thread are experienced with the lasts of various manufacturers. I've been running for ten years and have tried many different makes. Second, reviews can be very helpful where long term quality is concerned, like say cushioning life, tread ware problems, or bracing issues. Also, let me say that shopping by look is not necessarily bad. We all have different motivations for running and whatever gets you on the trail and performing at your best, is what counts.

In summary, I agree it is great for a beginner to attend a running specific shop. However, it is by no means the only path.

--

My favorite place to shop online is Men's & Women's Running Shoes from Nike, Adidas, New Balance, ASICS, Brooks & Saucony | Road Runner Sports and decided to go ahead and try the lunar trainers. I've heard a-lot great things about the lunar foam from Nike.

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 83
Got a pair of the Vibram Fivefingers and ran with them yesterday and today. Feet are sore, but that's probably a product of me taking a couple days to figure out how to run in them properly. I can already tell I'll be using them almost exclusively when exercising (as in, no more cross trainers for me). I can feel muscles in my calves working that don't even get activated with sneakers. They teach you to be lighter on your feet, instead of slapping your feet to the pavement with every stride.

They attract lots of curious looks, and I've gotten 2 comments so far: one lady genuinely interested in them for a new pair of running shoes, and some other lady, "what happened to your shoes?"
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by adion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a pair of the Vibram Fivefingers and ran with them yesterday and today. Feet are sore, but that's probably a product of me taking a couple days to figure out how to run in them properly. I can already tell I'll be using them almost exclusively when exercising (as in, no more cross trainers for me). I can feel muscles in my calves working that don't even get activated with sneakers. They teach you to be lighter on your feet, instead of slapping your feet to the pavement with every stride.

They attract lots of curious looks, and I've gotten 2 comments so far: one lady genuinely interested in them for a new pair of running shoes, and some other lady, "what happened to your shoes?"
biggrin.gif

Another convert! I'm amazed you only took a couple days. Took me a couple weeks to figure out a good stride and my feet hated em for it. I'm pretty amazed that I'm not the only one who uses the vibrams as cross trainers. Figured I was the only one.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #57 of 83
The "FiveFingers" are a very interesting concept. I'd consider a pair if I hadn't just bought some NB 805s for running. I think the wife would kill me if I bought another pair of shoes so soon!

Regardless, how well do the Vibrams hold up on different terrain types like pavement, concrete, dirt, or gravel trails? What about traction and durability?

Z

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried those Nike shoes that look like they have spring heels ?

Yes, and through my experience, I would only recommend them if you're a perfectly neutral runner who runs on perfectly flat surfaces! The height of the shox columns, created stability issues for me. I rolled an ankle many times. On the plus side, as I said before, the durability was incredible. The cushioning outlasted the tread, which has never happened to me before with trainers.

--

I've been doing intervals (once a week), not distance, in my Lunar Trainers and am happy so far. They are akin to pillows as advertised, even more bouncy than EVA. We'll see how long it lasts. I have my doubts buts o far so good. The upper is almost completely mesh as well, which is much appreciated as we enter the warm months, in the Northern hemisphere at least.

Running season is here! For me, there is nothing better than a PMP full of good tunes and a deserted trail. My new year's revolution is to run my first marathon, which is earmarked for November. I'll begin specific training in August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back