Running a usb to SPDIF device on battery (M2tech,musiland, ect..)
May 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kawai_man

500+ Head-Fier
I have this usb to spdif converter which i really like because it sounds alot better than the optical out from my mac http://cgi.ebay.com/new-Xitel-Minidisc-MD-Port-DG2-sound-card-Optical-Cable-/320491475433?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9ec7d1e9, I tried running it on a 5v battery to improve the sound but it didnt work.

Heres what I did

1.I stripped the insulation on part of the USB cable and stripped the shield then I cut the red and black wire

2. I connected the red and black cables that lead to the device to the battery, I made sure the positive negative where correct.

with the modified cable my computer doesnt read the device, when I go to select it its not there. I tried it with two different USB cables I modifed and I know for sure the battery is working.

Is there any way I can power this device with a battery and also have the computer read the device?

May 16, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 13
The DIY forums would probably warrant a better response and more help.

Good luck with your project.

May 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Gnd must also connect to the computer. You cut the power line, but you just "tap" to the gnd line.

Ok I did it this way and it worked , thanks man.

I was hoping to isolate the ground as well,  I only know of two ways; usb cable with optocoulers ( expensive) or separate circuit that isolates ground. Is there any other way?

btw It made a nice improvement in the sound.

May 17, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 13
GND is required for hotplug detection I think, and the dirty computer ground won't make it through the toslink cable anyway
bigsmile_face.gif

May 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
GND is required for hotplug detection I think, and the dirty computer ground won't make it through the toslink cable anyway
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah but I think it still effects the sound output , just chaging to battery made a good improvment I think elimanating the dirty ground will improve it even further, anyways it would be interesting to see.

May 17, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 13
Yeah thats the circuit I was talking about, I kind of want to avoid that buying that
smile.gif
. I guess Im looking for a solution I could easily do myself without any cost or maybe a small cost.  I wonder if there is there a way to trick the computer into detecting it?

May 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 13
It made a very good improvment in the sound separation and soundstage, and the highs are more extended and a little more defined, the bass is also more defined and  a little less mushy.

I found the way that a USB detects a device is that there is a pull-up resistor that connects to the ground at the device, the computer detects this and then it allows data to be sent to the device,  Im wondering if this resistor is passive or active and I wonder if I can just attach a resistor or something to the ground an this would trick the computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back