running a balanced signal to an amp
Oct 11, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 16
You need a cable that connects + on the 1/4" to + on the rca, and ground on the 1/4" to ground on the rca. Leave - disconnected.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Sure. You just need a cable with 1/4" in one end and RCA in the other end

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a cable that connects + on the 1/4" to + on the rca, and ground on the 1/4" to ground on the rca. Leave - disconnected.

i'd prolly make my own anyway. so how would i wire this? is the "left" part of the plug now the "signal" chord on a balanced setup or what?

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. You just need a cable with 1/4" in one end and RCA in the other end

you're saying a regular 1/4" to RCA will suffice?

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're saying a regular 1/4" to RCA will suffice?

No idea how they are wired up, so might not be a "regular" one.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 16
You'd need to check the pinout for that particular device. Just be sure not to wire - to ground, as they'll combine in the amp, and that'd be not good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Mono 1/4 to RCA yes you won't get any problem with that.
Just don't take stereo plugs, i ain't sure if this would work if you only plug the left or right signal but then again you can be sure everything is fine if you get mono plugs.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Using a TS (mono) 1/4" plug would short out the inverted (-) side to ground when plugged in, which may or may not be a problem depending on how the outputs on your card are designed. Since you're going to make your own cable to be on the safe side I'd use a 1/4" TRS (stereo) plug instead. The tip of the TRS would be connected to the center pin of the RCA plug and the sleeve of the TRS would be connected to the outer ring of the RCA.

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using a TS (mono) 1/4" plug would short out the inverted (-) side to ground when plugged in, which may or may not be a problem depending on how the outputs on your card are designed. Since you're going to make your own cable to be on the safe side I'd use a 1/4" TRS (stereo) plug instead. The tip of the TRS would be connected to the center pin of the RCA plug and the sleeve of the TRS would be connected to the outer ring of the RCA.

according to this page http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.US35030 my device has "TRS balanced/unbalanced outputs" does this mean a radioshack 1/4" to RCA will work?

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

according to this page http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.US35030 my device has "TRS balanced/unbalanced outputs" does this mean a radioshack 1/4" to RCA will work?

Since they're balanced/unbalanced capable you should be fine with the cable you mentioned.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since they're balanced/unbalanced capable you should be fine with the cable you mentioned.

just for posterity i tried the RS cable on the balanced outs. only plays the left channel. seems to work on the HP out pretty well though.

according to m-audio the HP out is rated at .8 volts for max output. the balanced out puts 1.5V and the unbalanced is 3.0. i figure it's safe to use the HP out since it's the weakest of all until i make this interconnect.

on topic:
to make this 1/4"TRS to RCA interconnect i'm connecting the right chan to signal on the red RCA, left to signal on the white one and i'm shorting the ground to one of the channels?

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

just for posterity i tried the RS cable on the balanced outs. only plays the left channel. seems to work on the HP out pretty well though.

according to m-audio the HP out is rated at .8 volts for max output. the balanced out puts 1.5V and the unbalanced is 3.0. i figure it's safe to use the HP out since it's the weakest of all until i make this interconnect.

on topic:
to make this 1/4"TRS to RCA interconnect i'm connecting the right chan to signal on the red RCA, left to signal on the white one and i'm shorting the ground to one of the channels?

No problem, you're just using the wrong cable. You have a 1/4"TRS to dual RCA cable which isn't right for this application. You need a pair of 1/4"TS (mono) to single RCA cables, one for each output channel. Like these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back