rumor alert: the next Nano
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 13
I hope they up it to at least 32gb. 16gb would be nice but I'd grab it at 32.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 13
Never liked the look of the 3G iPod nano. So a taller design, similar to the 1G and 1G would be great imo.
If so, then its probably about time I upgrade from 1G...

032002-nano_400.png

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Honestly, I find this an odd move from Apple if this rumor be given weight. What will happen to the aspect ratio of the Classic? It'll be left alone with 1.33:1. Would all iPods (sans shuffle) have the transition to 1.5:1? Perhaps. But only if they have something newsworthy for the new iPod Touch, which, based on the iPhone 3G transition, is highly unlikely. There are still tons of questions. Apple also hinted last week during their financial conference call for "slightly redesigned iPods and lower-cost iPod Touches in time for the holiday buying season" as they "expect the company's gross margins will by down to 31.5%". Where will Apple go with the iPod Classic? Could "slight" mean just capacity bumps and battery efficiency (iPhone example)? Do they still forsee a market for "bigger than 160gb" players?

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 13
I really hope they don't give the nano a touch screen, or keep is so wide. I don't mind a long nano like the old 1/2G, but the new wide one would bother me a lot, I like not feeling the iPod in my pocket and if it was wide like a 3G it would pull the clothes away from my skin and make it obvious that there is something in there. Then again I never thought any of the iPods except maybe the Touch should do video to any real extent. The screens are just too small, especially since they are fullscreen, not widescreen.

Oh well I guess in the end it doesn't matter, after all the new nano's will at best have 8/16 GB capacities while all other flash based mp3 players will have 16/32/64 GB, thus making the nano very far behind and way overpriced just as it is now.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Good thing I got a 3G one while they're still around then. The fatter design is much more compact and easy to carry.

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben7337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really hope they don't give the nano a touch screen, or keep is so wide. I don't mind a long nano like the old 1/2G, but the new wide one would bother me a lot, I like not feeling the iPod in my pocket and if it was wide like a 3G it would pull the clothes away from my skin and make it obvious that there is something in there. Then again I never thought any of the iPods except maybe the Touch should do video to any real extent. The screens are just too small, especially since they are fullscreen, not widescreen.

Oh well I guess in the end it doesn't matter, after all the new nano's will at best have 8/16 GB capacities while all other flash based mp3 players will have 16/32/64 GB, thus making the nano very far behind and way overpriced just as it is now.

why those capacities at best? what flash players have 64GB?

the touch is 2.4 inches wide. the nano is 2.06.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why those capacities at best? what flash players have 64GB?

the touch is 2.4 inches wide. the nano is 2.06.

A 64gb Touch update isn't undoable for Apple. Remember, the current Touch utelizes double flash chips (16gb times two). The first generation Creative Zen's 32gb players being on the wild since December last year at very good prices clearly means 32gb flash drives are cheap enough. Here's wishing. But if Apple plans to sell affordable iPods before Christmas, we may not see 64gb yet til early 2009. Then 32gb iPhones will follow suit.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 13
That mockup is extremely ugly.

My guess is the 4g Nano will wind up more like a cut-down iPod Touch, without the PDA and wi-fi capabilities.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 13
its not a mockup, that is exactly how alot of those ebay nano clones look like, they probobly took one of those as referance becuase the new nano was to be "longer"

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 13
It has always seemed to me that the next step was to add a full screen to form factor of the 3g Nano. The would have to solve (or settle for) the click wheel/ touch screen issue, but otherwise it retains most of what the Nano is intended to be. I can see them moving the Nano toward a classic replacement, however, so that by generation 5 or so a 200gb flash based Nano renders the classic irrelevant, while the Touch fills the true PMP market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back