Rudistor RPX33 MKI vs MKII
Oct 15, 2007 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Blasyrkh

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, did anyone listen to both amps? i would like to know the sonic differences...
I can get a RPX MKI for half the price of the new MKII...except for the pre out...what will I miss sonically speaking?

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Do you mean RP33 and RPX33 MKII...???

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Do you mean RP33 and RPX33 MKII...???

He clearly meant the RPX33 MK1 vs MK2. As far as I can see only the buffer is significantly different. I would be surprised if there is a huge shift in sound signature.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He clearly meant the RPX33 MK1 vs MK2. As far as I can see only the buffer is significantly different. I would be surprised if there is a huge shift in sound signature.

I do not recall to have seen any MKI in US at least, not sure, that was why I asked...Do you have any pic of that RPX33 MKI....???

Also there are some fake sites offering the RPX33, in China, not sure if they actually have any amp cloned there, or if it is just an scam...

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not recall to have seen any MKI in US at least, not sure, that was why I asked...Do you have any pic of that RPX33 MKI....???

Also there are some fake sites offering the RPX33, in China, not sure if they actually have any amp cloned there, or if it is just an scam...

no pics of the MKI, sorry

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Do you have any pic of that RPX33 MKI

Of course. I have one. Any RPX33 that isn't a MK2 is a MK1. It's common to refer to the first version of a product as MK1 as soon as a second version exists, esp. if that one is called MK2 by the manufacturer, remember. And even then there's multiple versions of it: mine is a version 3.

Any of the RPX33's will sound good. If it's half the price: go for it.

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 18
I have been looking at the MkI vs. MkII as well and it seems the biggest difference is that the MII can be used as a preamp. That actually makes the MkI more attractive to me.....Less useless circuitry for me anyway. The new potentiometer shouldn't influence the sound too much, but if the redesigned power chain includes bigger toroids or more standing class A current and headroom, that certainly will help. If there are no MkI's in the U.S. it's a moot issue anyway. Alberto Gomez, their U.S. distributor, is a friendly guy and could easily clear this up...

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 18
The RPX33 MKII, the RPX33 (if you want to call it MKI, well OK...it is a MKI then) and the RP33 (the first on the line) are slightly different amps, they are not the same (at least not sonically). The RPX33 and the RP33 are very close in sound, and design, they even share the same layout on the boards, with some slightly different parts and modifications, but the RPX33 MKII is a little diferent, it has a better improved PSU, and more capacitance, better selection of parts and a better potenciometer. It will give you a better bass extension, and a better and wider soundstage, and more separation of the instruments, of course all are very good amps, but they do not sound exactly alike, as they are not exactly the same amp...

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 18
I wonder Sovkiller, are associated with Rudistor? I noticed your selling of and NX-33 and an RPX-33 at the same time on a different site. Your knowledge is certainly helpful! How would you compare the sonics of the two with the NX-33 in se--->balanced mode? thanks!

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by budburma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alberto Gomez, their U.S. distributor, is a friendly guy and could easily clear this up...

You ask me here to clear things up, and you are wondering if I'm associated with Rudi later on, OMG!!! ....
icon10.gif

Those two amps were demos from reviews and upgrades, we had left, and both went to very good hands, that loves them now, indeed they sold pretty quick...

OK it makes no sense for me to talk of discontinued or old products, as they are no longer available, unless used, in which case, the price is what rules the market, and not what I could say or not about them, also IMO if Rudi developed a new version of any amp, is just because he believes this last one is just somewhat better, to the best of his knowledge, so I will use that last RPX33 MKII (the one I have also)...

In SE I slightly prefer the RPX33, the soundstage is IMO a tad better, wider, and the separation of instruments is better (again in SE) The NX33 is a very fast amp, but not as wide open as the RPX33, in which you can literally pinpoint instruments.
On balanced mode as the RPX33 is not balanced, we have no other choice than to choose the NX33, now a remark, the balanced selection or not, IME, depends greatly on the headphone to be used, please if you are not sure always ask first, before buying an amp, there is no one size fits all, and to me balanced not always is better, and Rudi has the somewhat a similar opinion more or less, even while it is true that the balanced topology offer more control over the diaphragms, for some headphones the improvement is indeed noticeable, for others marginally better, for some none to the point that I prefer them SE (till now...
wink.gif
)

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 18
Ok, then, my foot never tasted so good! And, thanks for the comparison.....and you email a while back. BTW, I found the NYC meet-up and unfortunately have to stay out of town with the in-laws rather than i town with you outlaws that weekend.

Sadly, the RPX is outside my price point, but I have to admit that it seems like my cup of tea by your description since it mimics an enjoyable and long sought after/developed portion of my own 2 channel system: (if you're interested)
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...055589103&view

What headphones would you say benefit from the NX-33 balanced output. I obviously have a pair of Senn 650's which i am happy to have recabled and was thinking about a pair of Monn Audio modded AK-701's. I had some AKG's back in the '80's that I chose as a favorite after audiotioning a number of different cans at some store in Madison, WI. Fond memories may be misleading my present course.....still great memories...thanks for making them reappear for me!

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by budburma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, then, my foot never tasted so good! And, thanks for the comparison.....and you email a while back. BTW, I found the NYC meet-up and unfortunately have to stay out of town with the in-laws rather than i town with you outlaws that weekend.

Sadly, the RPX is outside my price point, but I have to admit that it seems like my cup of tea by your description since it mimics an enjoyable and long sought after/developed portion of my own 2 channel system: (if you're interested)
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...055589103&view

What headphones would you say benefit from the NX-33 balanced output. I obviously have a pair of Senn 650's which i am happy to have recabled and was thinking about a pair of Monn Audio modded AK-701's. I had some AKG's back in the '80's that I chose as a favorite after audiotioning a number of different cans at some store in Madison, WI. Fond memories may be misleading my present course.....still great memories...thanks for making them reappear for me!

Impresive setup!!!

BTW I will not be able neither to attend to the meeting, but you know what, Rudi will be there!!! He will cross the ocean again to be in the NYC meeting. I will have no other choice of meeting him the day before, or the day after, but not during the meeting...

TH HD6XX is obviously the reason that balanced amps exist nowadays I think...LOL...the 701 I feel that goes more on the second category I mentioned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back