RudiStor: RPX-33 vs NX-02
Aug 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thread

Headphoneus Supremus
So I need an amp for my Edition 9's.

I'm having a really hard time deciding between the NX-02 and the RPX-33.

I figure that going with the NX-02 will mean:
  1. smaller form factor
  2. blue face plate? (con; I'd rather the black...)
  3. slightly colder presentation? (prolly con)
  4. lack of preamp out (con; although I'm not planning to build the speaker rig for perhaps several years, even)
  5. much more appealing price

It was my understanding that the difference in SQ would end up being pretty subtle -- esp if I'm not even comparing them together.

My question is: just how much better is the RPX-33 going to sound? The price increase is quite significant, and I'm feeling like I'd be adequately WOWed via the NX-02 and that the RPX-33 might be overkill for me.

Who wants to tell me the difference is huge and that if I'm not messing around I should just shut up and spring for the RPX-33?

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Okay, "the difference is huge, if you are not messing around, just shut up and spring for the RPX-33..."

Honestly, I cannot image that the NX-02 would not be a fine little amp. Jpleg has been here forever and has a good ear for gear; this fact rates high in my book. I'm sure he'd welcome a PM.

Having used the RPX-33 with the Edition 9s, I have heard few systems that beat it. If you think you might upgrade at some point/any point, the RPX-33 is a great amp for the Edition 9s; an amazing synergy. Yes, I suspect worth the additional bucks. The preamp out works very well for driving a power amp for a connected speaker rig. The only limitation is it's a single source solution. Did you want multiple sources (CD, tuner, etc)? Plus, you'll need to first unplug your headphones when listening to speakers to safeguard against overdriving them. At lower volume levels, it is kind of fun and different to listen to open headphones and speakers at the same time.

If you think you might ever consider balanced, the NX-33 seems a good piece between the two price points, even for single ended; others here speak highly of it. Plus, you could then balance your HD600 and take them up a notch.

For your comment of the differences being subtle, in my opinion, you are now entering the realm where it's those subtleties that cost the most. The RPX-100 is not day-2-night better than the RPX-33, but the improvements were certainly worth it to me. I'm very glad I made the jump.

Would you be content with the NX-02? I bet it is musical like all of Rudi's products with great detail and imaging; suspect that you might be perfectly happy with it. Another consideration is whether your source will let you really experience the difference between the NX-02 and the RPX-33.

All just food for thought; hope it helps. Tough choice, which is why we all comb these these threads over and over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I need an amp for my Edition 9's.

I'm having a really hard time deciding between the NX-02 and the RPX-33.

I figure that going with the NX-02 will mean:
  1. smaller form factor
  2. blue face plate? (con; I'd rather the black...)
  3. slightly colder presentation? (prolly con)
  4. lack of preamp out (con; although I'm not planning to build the speaker rig for perhaps several years, even)
  5. much more appealing price

It was my understanding that the difference in SQ would end up being pretty subtle -- esp if I'm not even comparing them together.

My question is: just how much better is the RPX-33 going to sound? The price increase is quite significant, and I'm feeling like I'd be adequately WOWed via the NX-02 and that the RPX-33 might be overkill for me.

Who wants to tell me the difference is huge and that if I'm not messing around I should just shut up and spring for the RPX-33?

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 8
True to my avatar, I am off the deep end. The RPX-33 is on the way.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 8
[size=xx-small]You need a better source[/size]

I love my NX-02/2500 combo. I consider it a great performer, and a good value. Not to mention a perfect physical match. It quickly revealed shortcomings of my source, which is now in the process of a major modification. That's where I think my money is better spent.

The RPX-33 seems nice, and appears to be a great match for the E9's. But the lack of multi-source preamp functions is a big minus in that price range. Because of that I can't consider it a good value featurewise. I"ve never heard one though, so I can't comment on the sound.

A little better on the value meter is the NX-33. I'm not a proponent of balanced amps, but it's worth your consideration. I heard one last year at a meet, although I don't have a clear memory of it. It has both SE & balanced headphone-outs, plus SE & balanced inputs, and less money than the RPX.

A moot point though, as your RPX is on it's way. I'm sure it's very nice. The system definitely deserves a better source now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Indeed. DA100 is still within the sights... maybe a month or two off if I can help it and a FS one doesn't show up.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 8
The RPX line is fully discrete which to my experience is more revealing than the NX line which is op amp based (This is the primary reason for the price discrepancy betweent he two lines why a single ended amp which is fully discrete is more expensive than a balanced op amp based amp). Of course like previous people have said make sure your source is up to snuff but I find that it doesnt take much to determine which is more revealing ;p Though doing a fine discrete amp full justice is a different price story.

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True to my avatar, I am off the deep end. The RPX-33 is on the way.

Excellent; I think you are going to be thrilled with this amp, and along with a good, musical, source, and the awesome Ed9, have a dynamic rig that will serve you well for years

There are many good DACs on the market, some very cost effective. Looks like you are the right track in that a good DAC and a simple transport is a great entry into having a servicable source. Prior to the Opus 21, I had A Mini-DAC and pcdp with optical out. It took considerable bucks to better its performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back