RudiStor NX-03, RPX-33 [NX03, RPX33]: Rudi rules!
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #166 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaKinDV8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wanted this, but then got to build a Beta22 and 2 SS amps (super as they both are i would imagine) just didn't make sense. The RP7c is something else to lust after though being all tube but at almost the same price as the RPX33, im not sure its as good value for money.

I hope that I will be able to compare the RPX-33 and the Beta22 one day.
rolleyes.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #167 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

.....that’s as far as I can go for now. But I have reason to think that there’s better synergy between the NX-03 and two of my other phones, the Denon D5000 and the Beyerdynamic DT990-600. That’s for other chapters in my RudiStor adventure.

The RPX-33 may well be my last amp. Bravo, Rudi, bravissimo!

beerchug.gif

Soundinista, fantastic work on starting such a thread, excellent review. Having spent more time with the amps can you elaborate on the statement quoted above, specifically in reference to the D5000's; and also, would you say the same of the NX-03 paired with the Denon AH-D7000?

Thanks.

May 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #168 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by holyharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundinista, fantastic work on starting such a thread, excellent review. Having spent more time with the amps can you elaborate on the statement quoted above, specifically in reference to the D5000's; and also, would you say the same of the NX-03 paired with the Denon AH-D7000?

Thanks.

Thank you much for the kind words! And sorry about the belated response.

When I wrote that review, I had already noticed that there’s good synergy between the NX-03 and both the D5000 and the DT990-600. I meant to convey the idea that the NX-03 was a much tougher competitor against the RPX33 if mated with one of those headphones. Several months later, I can confirm that the claim still seems right to me. In fact, one of the surprises in my Rudi experience is that the DT990-600 sounds better through the NX-03 than through the larger amp. These phones are dark-sounding. Their sound is not in any way improved by that bit of warmth, that bit of lushness in the RPX33’s sound.

But that’s as far as the advantage of the smaller amp over the larger one goes. For all my other phones, the RPX33 is clearly better overall. (So, to your question: For both Denon’s, I prefer the larger amp.) But do notice the “overall” there. The RPX33 is more extended in the highs than the NX-03. And the D7000 is as extended in the highs as they come; very “refined” highs, to be sure, but extended, merciless. Unlike the DX1000, the D7000 doesn’t sugarcoat anything up top. If the recording is perfect, there will be nothing to complain about. Otherwise… So, if you like a little sugarcoating in the highs (I do), just a bit of “insurance” against treble-fatigue, you may prefer the NX-03 for the D7000. But that choice will come at a price. The RPX33 is consistently more three-dimensional than my other amps, with a somewhat wider soundstage.

There’s also this interesting discovery in the last few weeks: The RPX33 responds more clearly to a power-cord upgrade. The stock cord is clearly inadequate for this amp. Anyone thinking of buying the RPX33 should set some cash aside for a good power cord. (SleepyOne has made the same claim in a NeoVibe thread. We’ve both experimented with power cords recently and have come to the same conclusion.) No fancy stuff required; but no less than a 14awg cord either. (I think the stock cord is an unshielded 18awg.) I was so impressed with the gains afforded by a fairly humble 14awg cord that I’ve decide to try out some fancy cords (just received).

beerchug.gif

May 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #173 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like I have to replace my stock cable asap...

what price point (or specific cables) would you recommend without getting 'fancy'?

No, you do not have to, you want to, that is completelly different, FYI I have never feel the need to replace my Quail cables, and will never do...
wink_face.gif

As per recomendations, if you want to replace it, please choose, at least, one that is UL certified, so in the remote event you have any fire, or damage related to electricitiy, etc...at least you will get paid...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #174 of 187
What cind of cables have you used with best results.

The last couple of weeks I have been using two different opwercords with my Apollo cd. One unshielded DHL laps and one shielded Ölflex, both with Iego plugs.

While the shielded one is the only one that can explain it's benefit, and it really makes my w1000 sound warmer, smoother and wtih a more full bass, the unshielded DHL laps makes the soundstage much bigger and makes the musical magic shine right through (even though the tonal balance is much more bright with this cable)!

The thing is that I really can't afford to buy both cables to my whole system for comparing, so right now I try to figure out which of theese cables to get for my rpx-33 and from the wall to the powerfilter?
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #176 of 187
will do - Sleepy one! Just that those connectors are so chunky I have to unscrew either the shelves or the connectors to move them from on unit to another.
And the other thing is that the difference from using it throughout the system might be different than what you imagine from listening to just one unit.

One thing I have learned from dealing with hifi is that you never know before you try the exact combination! But I am always trying to figure it out!!
Poor us freaks!

May 31, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #177 of 187
Moving connectors to another cable can be a pain understand (I assume that is what you mean).

The testing will not be perfect but at least it will be fair since the CDP will be using the same cord. This way you will know which cable match well with your amp.

If you have time, do let us know whether the gain from upgrading cord on CDP is higher or from the amp, many thanks!

May 31, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #179 of 187
Actually - The problem is my home brewed Hifi rack. I build specially to hide all the cable mess and hung it on the wall where my daughter can't reach it. The problem is that the gap behind the shelves is so tight that the only way to redirect the cables is to unscrew the connecters.

Now you might think that I have made a pretty rack to make a good WAF (wife acceptance faktor) but I am the one who sits there and I want the whole experience to be good.
Most people belive that power cable benefits are all placebo - Well then lets give placebo a reason to make it sound even better
L3000.gif

So when I find the right cable I will make sure to give it a good sleeve so it will look good as well- meanwhile I will have to suffer unscrewing plugs.

Comparing them was easy enough. I just put both cables behind the shelves. I have three sets of plugs - so no problem there.

Thanks for all your answers sleepy one!
perhaps the very Oyaide Tunami would be the cable that gave me the best of both the ones I got now!

May 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #180 of 187
You are welcome.

"perhaps the very Oyaide Tunami would be the cable that gave me the best of both the ones I got now! "

Possibly, however there is one problem, that is Tunami isn't very bendable lol
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back