RudiStor NX-03, RPX-33 [NX03, RPX33]: Rudi rules!
Feb 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #152 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried the SA5000 with rudi's amp?? Particularly the NX-03

With RP5.1 they worked very well when Mullard tubes were used.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #153 of 187
I have a pair of Senn 600s. I purchased a set of balanced equinox cables, intending to go balanced, but ended up buying a Meier Opera and using this setup single-ended.

The Opera has what Meier calls a "balanced ground" for which he claims "most of the advantages" of balanced operation.

I wondered if there was anyone out there who was familiar with this amp and also with a balanced Rudistor, and on that basis might be able to evaluate this claim. I think the Opera is a fine amp and I derive a lot of pleasure from it, but I cant help wondering if the NX33 would be a significantly different listening experience.

If the party exists who has compared these, Id love to get some impressions.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #154 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Senn 600s. I purchased a set of balanced equinox cables, intending to go balanced, but ended up buying a Meier Opera and using this setup single-ended.

The Opera has what Meier calls a "balanced ground" for which he claims "most of the advantages" of balanced operation.

I wondered if there was anyone out there who was familiar with this amp and also with a balanced Rudistor, and on that basis might be able to evaluate this claim. I think the Opera is a fine amp and I derive a lot of pleasure from it, but I cant help wondering if the NX33 would be a significantly different listening experience.

If the party exists who has compared these, Id love to get some impressions.

The balanced ground topology is not a true balanced topology, it is more similar to what we had on the third channel on the PPA, like some kind of an active ground channel, I'm not 100% sure, and I may be mistaken, but I recall that I discussed about that once with Rudi, and I'm 100% sure, that it is not a true balanced topology, it definitelly may be an step over the traditional single ended...

Again the balanced topology is noticeable in drivers that actually benefit from it, usually faster drivers do not require that at all, and not all heapdhones will react the same way to it, IMHE some of them do not benefit at all from it...

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #155 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The balanced ground topology is not a true balanced topology, it is more similar to what we had on the third channel on the PPA, like some kind of an active ground channel, I'm not 100% sure, and I may be mistaken, but I recall that I discussed about that once with Rudi, and I'm 100% sure, that it is not a true balanced topology, it definitelly may be an step over the traditional single ended...

Again the balanced topology is noticeable in drivers that actually benefit from it, usually faster drivers do not require that at all, and not all heapdhones will react the same way to it, IMHE some of them do not benefit at all from it...

Have gotten from ur previous posts that the advantage is in control of the drivers and that Senns are a good candidate. I hear from you, as from others, speculation that the balanced ground takes you some of the distance toward full-bananced but noone seems to have made the determination of how much.

Part of my hesitation in moving from the Opera to the Nx33 is that like the latter, the Opera seems to be a class act. The build is superb, and tho I do not know for sure, I'm expecting the Nx33 to be as good but not necessarily better.

It finally depends on the sound. The Opera's sound was a major upgrade in areas that needed strengthening (for me), more soundstage, more air, more bass, a greater sense of "reality" and more "euphony" (an upgrade at least as good as the equinox cable itself --in both cases i got a lot for my bucks).

Unfortunately I will not hear one is Saudi Arabia. Maybe when I visit the States this summer I might locate one.

Thanks for your contribution.

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #156 of 187
Anybody knows if the rpx-33 would be a good match for my ath w1000?

I need a lively musical, yet smooth and warm sound with a complete black background? and a wide sound stage.

I heard the rpx-100 at a meet in denmark and I was not too impressed. Found it to be warm and nice but to dry sounding.
But that might be the cd-player that i didn't know and the cables I know is analytical.
Impedance wise it sounds like the rpx-33 will be equally happy with the 42ohm w 100 and the 300ohm hd650.

Any opinions

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #157 of 187
I will be writing a review of the HD600+RPX33 ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mag...almono-394155/ ) soon, maybe you can subscribe the thread.

for now I can tell you that is is a 'polite' amp with rounded-edges that won't shout at you or do any fireworks on music, BUT, it has loads of power, never ever feels stressed and although polite it is very lively and musical with instruments sounding very 'real' in the sense that they are 3D, tangible sounds.

but if you're looking for some aggression I would look elsewhere, this amp is all about class. Although not at the expense of raw power...

hope this helps, later the review will come

cheers

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #158 of 187
Here we have two amps with a similar price-tag, the RPX-33 Dual Mono and the NX-33 balanced. I would love to read a comparison of the two. Would the Senn 600s benefit more from the dual-mono amp (which is 200Euros more expensice) or from the balanced amp?

Why would we choose one over the other? (Obviously we need balanced cabling for he NX-33, but we could acquire that for the 200 euro difference).

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #159 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody knows if the rpx-33 would be a good match for my ath w1000?

I need a lively musical, yet smooth and warm sound with a complete black background? and a wide sound stage.

I heard the rpx-100 at a meet in denmark and I was not too impressed. Found it to be warm and nice but to dry sounding.
But that might be the cd-player that i didn't know and the cables I know is analytical.
Impedance wise it sounds like the rpx-33 will be equally happy with the 42ohm w 100 and the 300ohm hd650.

Any opinions

I'm pretty sure that you were listeing the source...what you feed into is what you will have, nothing else...if you find the Rudistor amps dry sounding, most probably you were listening the source, as the Rudistor amps could be called anything but dry sounding...An the RPX100 is nothing but warm, it is one of the fastest amps I have heard...

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #161 of 187
I would also like to hear somebody compare it to a woo wa6se w/sofia princess!

Anybody have heard both?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #162 of 187
I have finally received my RPX-33 EV08 last week and so far I am really impressed by the synergy between this amp and my headphones.
eek.gif

It's a little bit too soon to write a detailed review but I promise to post more comments here soon.

I also want to thank Alberto (Sovkiller) and Adam (thread) for their help during my quest for this amp.
wink.gif

3336207277_2a878a4d50_o.jpg

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #164 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have finally received my RPX-33 EV08 last week and so far I am really impressed by the synergy between this amp and my headphones.
eek.gif

It's a little bit too soon to write a detailed review but I promise to post more comments here soon.

I also want to thank Alberto (Sovkiller) and Adam (thread) for their help during my quest for this amp.
wink.gif

3336207277_2a878a4d50_o.jpg

I've always wanted this, but then got to build a Beta22 and 2 SS amps (super as they both are i would imagine) just didn't make sense. The RP7c is something else to lust after though being all tube but at almost the same price as the RPX33, im not sure its as good value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back