Rubber Band Fi
May 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Staples #84 rubber bands for office and home use, but I'm looking for something with a bit more elasticity. Has anyone tried the Office Max branded bands? I've seen (but never tried) a few and I suspect that they're from the same manufacturer as the Staples variety. I hear that Uline bands are pretty good, but they're a bit pricey.

Link:
http://www.uline.com/Product/Product...12780&ref=3756

May 7, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 41
Excuse me for a second while I lmao.

May 7, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 41
I have a huge bag of rubber bands I use as ammunition around my house to snipe spiders from the ceiling. It's really a lot of fun!
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 41
You should check out Schermerhorn Bros.

Much better than that chain store crap. The finest quality and most economical crepe and compound grade bands that money can buy.

They have a complete inventory of agricultural, commercial and industrial bands in a wide range of sizes and colors.

Be prepared to buy in fairly large lots, though.

Group buy?

May 7, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should check out Bros.
Much better than that chain store crap. The finest quality and most economical crepe and compound grade bands that money can buy.

Wow, those are nice.

I know that the Staples are considered mid-fi, but I feel that the elasticity pretty high - perhaps 90% of what I'd could achieve with my current desk drawer full of office supplies. Would I get the additional 10% with the Schermerhorns? I just blew a bunch of money on Acco binder clips, so I'm not sure that I can justify these. I splurged and went for the ACC72010 and the grip is really powerful. They blow the Costco Office Impressions clips away. Nice build quality as well. I'm working on a mod to get them to hold 50 sheets of paper (they are rated for 45 sheets). I'll post pictures when I'm done.

ACCO%202%20Binder%20Clip.jpg

Once I sort out my elasticity issues, that should be my last upgrade for a while (famous last words).

Damn you, Rubber Band Fi.

May 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 41
There are some pretty sweet binder clip hacks here:
Office Supply Hacks - Ultimate Hacks For The Office

I've had pretty good luck with the toothpaste clip. It also works well for Colgate Total, although I had to modify the cap slightly so that the additional pressure from the paste wouldn't blow the tube apart.

The pictures and pencils holder looks awesome, but based on the Staples #84 specs I don't think they're up to the task, so...

I just ordered the Schermerhorns (hey, you only live once - my S.O. is going to kill me
wink.gif
). They should be here early next week. I'll post some impressions before and during the stretch-in process. I usually stretch my bands 4-5 times before using. I wasn't a big believer in stretch-in until I tried it with my Staples. It made a huge difference in holding power. After 4-5 stretches, they could hold a bunch of 10 standard-width, #2 pencils together instead of the usual 8. Snap was also improved and slip was reduced substantially. I'm not sure how this impacts ozone degradation of the rubber over time.

May 7, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 41
Crap...

I just received an email from Schermerhorn that delivery will take 2-3 days. That's pretty disappointing. In the meantime, I'm going to buy a package of Ulines at a local stationery shop so that I can tweak my system until the Schermerhorns arrive. I think I can get most of my money back on the Ulines if I sell them to another Rubber Band Fier. Now that I know the potential of other bands, I just can't use the Staples. Oh well. Live and learn... I just hope the Schermerhorns are worth the wait.

May 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 41
I've only been reading about rubber bands for a short while now, so please forgive my noobness. I'm not sure what I should buy. I've only been using stock-bands up until now, which were fine until I tried out an upper-tier band off of a friend of mine. He wanted it back though (can't hold on to 'em forever lol
biggrin.gif
), so now I'm on the market.
Anyways; I'm looking for a more allround-type band. It will be used mostly to wrap cables, but I'm not excluding rubber band fights, tying pens, gaming, some hobbyism and all that.
I'm more of a recreational band-user, so the price/quality ratio is quite important.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks!

Also: I've been reading about oils you can use to increase the quality of your bands. Is this true? The opinions are rather divided on the subject, and now I'm confused!

May 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading about oils you can use to increase the quality of your bands. Is this true?

i knew it was only a matter of time before somebody started up the flame wars again ....

May 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by scud80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i knew it was only a matter of time before somebody started up the flame wars again ....

I'm not sure about oils.

I have read that Armor All makes rubber band surfaces shiny but increases slip. A few Rubber Band Fiers claim to be able to detect increased elasticity - i.e., The 'Armor All Effect.'

Serious DIYers prefer silicon spray (used to enhance pliability of weather stripping on cars doors, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back